U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2016, 08:52 PM

91 posts, read 76,169 times

Advertisements

I used to sell stuff on ebay, sometimes I actually made a few dollars, but now I'm just giving things away to Goodwill or wherever. Because the time it takes to photograph and package the items, then to mail them and worry about the item getting lost or breaking, I think I'd rather just give it away. And my house is beginning to look less cluttered! Yayyy!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:59 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,977,201 times
I'm finally letting go of things from my "past life"..........so I can go forward with a new attitude and peace in my heart. I am sentimental and keep things, some of these items have been moved with me when I left home (autographed framed photo of first boyfriend's father who was a
very popular local, winning stock car driver) as a teen, through my moves from Michigan to Texas, from Texas to Michigan, and back to Texas from Michigan. Lists of all my friends and coworkers from my last job in corrections, recipes I never made and will never make but have had for eons, old personal phone books that when I was tearing out pages were ALL info. of people I will never see again and have no desire to, notes, etc. in my estranged husband's handwriting.

Nothing heavy (as in furniture or chachkis), but so sentimental that they were keeping me locked in the past, in a sad, bittersweet frame of mind. I am blessed that I can finally let these items go without regret. I feel so much lighter, a heavy weight has been lifted off of me. I learned on my last trip back to Michigan from Texas, the old saying "you can't go back again" is true in my case.

Last edited by Lodestar 77; 12-13-2016 at 09:08 PM..

Old 12-13-2016, 09:54 PM

I bought some items recently that are heavy, such as used hospital beds. I will try to sell them for peanuts when we move. But I will have to be resigned to give the items away if need be. Fortunately the local garbage company here picks up heavy furniture.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
I'm finally letting go of things from my "past life"..........so I can go forward with a new attitude and peace in my heart. I am sentimental and keep things, some of these items have been moved with me when I left home (autographed framed photo of first boyfriend's father who was a
very popular local, winning stock car driver) as a teen, through my moves from Michigan to Texas, from Texas to Michigan, and back to Texas from Michigan. Lists of all my friends and coworkers from my last job in corrections, recipes I never made and will never make but have had for eons, old personal phone books that when I was tearing out pages were ALL info. of people I will never see again and have no desire to, notes, etc. in my estranged husband's handwriting.

Nothing heavy (as in furniture or chachkis), but so sentimental that they were keeping me locked in the past, in a sad, bittersweet frame of mind. I am blessed that I can finally let these items go without regret. I feel so much lighter, a heavy weight has been lifted off of me. I learned on my last trip back to Michigan from Texas, the old saying "you can't go back again" is true in my case.
I am commending you for getting rid of so much stuff. I really do need to throw more stuff out.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:04 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,819,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shleptik View Post
I used to sell stuff on ebay, sometimes I actually made a few dollars, but now I'm just giving things away to Goodwill or wherever. Because the time it takes to photograph and package the items, then to mail them and worry about the item getting lost or breaking, I think I'd rather just give it away. And my house is beginning to look less cluttered! Yayyy!!!!
We found a professional ebay seller in our community. We interviewed him and are very impressed. We are overwhelmed with all the ends and outs of ebay and the amount of stuff we need to clear. He gets 50% of sale price but that includes ebay and paypal fees, he does all the shipping, photographing and is willing to pick up and store a load at a time to keep in his climate controlled space. If it doesn't sell he will either give it away or return to us. We are going to still try a few things on our own but this guy has incredible cameras and his work is so much better than we could do.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post

Good for you . It's hard isn't it? I'm 70 years old and I found some old beat up toys I remember playing with. Nothing valuable but such sentimental memories. Every one of my 4 kids played with them too. How can I get rid of them? Daughter says to take a digital picture and that is good enough. I don't know what I'm going to do.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:00 AM

6,330 posts, read 5,069,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Good for you . It's hard isn't it? I'm 70 years old and I found some old beat up toys I remember playing with. Nothing valuable but such sentimental memories. Every one of my 4 kids played with them too. How can I get rid of them? Daughter says to take a digital picture and that is good enough. I don't know what I'm going to do.
I think you should keep one or two.

My sister has some of her grown kids toys/Barbie dolls. Her grandkids take them out now and then to look at them. It will be nice when their kids can play with them also.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:36 PM

The professional ebay man came today to start on the stuff in our ebay room. He filled his SUV and will be back after the first of the year. Slowly and surely we'll get there.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:51 PM

1,194 posts, read 666,344 times
Quote:
The professional ebay man came today to start on the stuff in our ebay room. He filled his SUV and will be back after the first of the year. Slowly and surely we'll get there.
Wow, good for you! I always get more motivated when I feel I am making progress.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:08 PM

7,803 posts, read 4,399,284 times
Quote:
We found a professional ebay seller in our community. We interviewed him and are very impressed. We are overwhelmed with all the ends and outs of ebay and the amount of stuff we need to clear. He gets 50% of sale price but that includes ebay and paypal fees, he does all the shipping, photographing and is willing to pick up and store a load at a time to keep in his climate controlled space. If it doesn't sell he will either give it away or return to us. We are going to still try a few things on our own but this guy has incredible cameras and his work is so much better than we could do.
Tell me more about this profession eBay man who makes house calls... Are you in a big city? How does he advertise? I'd totally give up 50% for someone else to have the headaches...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement