U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2016, 03:34 PM

36,486 posts, read 43,958,023 times

Advertisements

This is how it happened. I started calling consignment shops in my area---not a big city at all. I was mainly interested in selling lots and lots of fine china--which nobody is buying. One lady said "Well do you know about Trader Chris? He's in your community." Never heard of him but I went to his website and called him and had a nice chat. Then he came out and showed us a few ebay tricks I never would have known without him. Then we decided to try him out.

I know there are lots of people like this all over the country. They either have storage space, basement or garage and they know all the tricks and time saving techniques.

You might google ebay seller in your town or call consignment shops and ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 06:04 PM

91 posts, read 76,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Good for you . It's hard isn't it? I'm 70 years old and I found some old beat up toys I remember playing with. Nothing valuable but such sentimental memories. Every one of my 4 kids played with them too. How can I get rid of them? Daughter says to take a digital picture and that is good enough. I don't know what I'm going to do.
I do know someone who sells toys or memorabilia from her childhood. It is amazing what money she gets. I just don't have the stamina or concern to do it. I used to. But the thrill is gone, lol!

Old 12-16-2016, 07:16 PM

3,442 posts, read 4,001,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Good for you . It's hard isn't it? I'm 70 years old and I found some old beat up toys I remember playing with. Nothing valuable but such sentimental memories. Every one of my 4 kids played with them too. How can I get rid of them? Daughter says to take a digital picture and that is good enough. I don't know what I'm going to do.
Yes, it IS hard to part with sentimental "stuff." So my advice to you is......if in doubt, DON'T throw it out.

It is not hurting anyone or anything to store in a closet, under a bed, in a box, etc. If you throw something out before you are emotionally ready to, it will bother you the rest of your life.

Everything I got rid of, in the many moves between Michigan and Texas, I have not missed at all. And, if I have gotten rid of it, I WILL NOT buy it again. I have not had to re-purchase any item I got rid of.

I can now look around my smaller home, since it is now just me, and everything I have in a room I absolutely love and enjoy looking at, or it is useful. I don't have anything in any room that I could or need to get rid of, and I love it!

Old 12-16-2016, 07:52 PM

3,458 posts, read 2,359,823 times
Hubby went through a plastic file bin of old computer software. We had a laugh about how very old it was! Checked eBay, but nothing was worth selling, so out it went.

I cleaned out a kitchen drawer, as well. Eeek! I found an unused calendar/planner from 2002-2003. LOL Lots of other junk. Gone!

Old 12-16-2016, 08:09 PM

13,365 posts, read 25,660,172 times
Had a service "Clean Out Your House" come and get the mess out of the mudroom. They sort everything, donate usable stuff to Household Goods, recycle. I had a lot of old recycling that I never got to, boxes, bag of bags. This was necessary due to what appeared to be a mice infestation (turns out to be maybe a couple of them but I panicked), and while they were cleaning out the mudroom, I came up with other things that I planned to throw out when I move next year- old car seats a neighbor left in my basement, a doghouse I won't use, broken wheelbarrow, etc. I look at the empty mudroom (and the empty and clean kitchen drawers that had been full of bags and old plastic containers and had the revelation that I could just buy new ones if I need them.
Nothing of sentimental value. I think I have one small box in the attic for that.
It really feels liberating. I don't like to have things around that have no life for me, whether sentimental or practical.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:22 PM

3,665 posts, read 2,832,858 times
None today. Last August I ds'ed by taking all sugar, wheat, coffee, dairy, and meat and fish out of my life. Today I upsized just briefly by eating some M & M's.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:25 AM

3,665 posts, read 2,832,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
None today. Last August I ds'ed by taking all sugar, wheat, coffee, dairy, and meat and fish out of my life. Today I upsized just briefly by eating some M & M's.
For the person who repped me and said that I probably only ate grass and cardboard now......

You'd be amazed about the wonderful and delicious food I eat normally. Sugar is uniformly bad for you(google it). There are plenty of grains without gluten(which causes a bad reaction to my system).

Coffee never agreed with me after drinking 12 cups a day for 20 years. There are all kinds of chemicals in it(not the caffeine--I still do caffeine) which play havoc with my digestive system in really bad ways.

I've been a Vegan for about 10 years. I don't have high blood pressure, or arteriosclerosis, and at age 67, I take no medications.

People who want to eat the SAD(standard American Diet) have to take high blood pressure meds, statins, and another handful of drugs all with nasty side effects.

And so I have learned to handle hemorrhoids, acid reflux syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic prostatitis and chronic Lyme disease with no drugs and only diet, a few herbs and vitamins and minerals, and extra rice protein every day.

Old 12-18-2016, 03:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,047,711 times
Today I got rid of about half my summer wardrobe, which wasn't that extensive. I've lost 30 pounds so all that stuff was too big or no longer in style, or colors I don't like. I got rid of heavy pants and jeans too, I only wear velour stretch pants in three seasons. Now I have to find some summer-weight long pants and I'm good to go. Nothing makes me feel freer than seeing bags of useless stuff go out the door.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:04 AM

6,415 posts, read 5,131,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Today I got rid of about half my summer wardrobe, which wasn't that extensive. I've lost 30 pounds so all that stuff was too big or no longer in style, or colors I don't like. I got rid of heavy pants and jeans too, I only wear velour stretch pants in three seasons. Now I have to find some summer-weight long pants and I'm good to go. Nothing makes me feel freer than seeing bags of useless stuff go out the door.
Great - why keep it around?

My style of dress has changed also. Used to love to be starched and pressed. Now it is soft knits and no ironing!!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:22 PM

5,001 posts, read 3,499,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Great - why keep it around?

My style of dress has changed also. Used to love to be starched and pressed. Now it is soft knits and no ironing!!
And just think. What treasures we found when we were younger & now we get to pass it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement