U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 09:11 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,759,593 times

Advertisements

I lost about 11 ounces last week-----I need to downsize a quite a few more ounces0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 12:49 AM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I lost about 11 ounces last week-----I need to downsize a quite a few more ounces0
I'm not quite certain that's what we're looking for.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:22 AM

6,321 posts, read 5,058,385 times
I gave away a dog house. It's cold and it was something they needed.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:26 AM

657 posts, read 316,127 times
Still waiting to upsize....not likely to happen.

Mae

Old 12-22-2016, 12:06 AM

13,320 posts, read 25,565,364 times
Decided to sell the vintage pinball machine to a co-worker for very low money. The active arcades aren't interested in vintage and I don't know how to find collectors (or don't want to go to the trouble to try). Co-worker is coming over next week to take the dusty exercise machines and can take the pinball machine. I want it to go to a good home!

Old 12-22-2016, 10:23 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times
sold a few large china platters on ebay. So pretty but I don't need them. Somebody got a great deal. Now if only I could sell more of my china!

Found a big box full of socks! Mostly fun socks I used to wear with animals (mostly cats) flowers, etc. and a few fun Christmas socks which my daughters said they will wear. Gave the rest to the homeless shelter.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:41 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,329,960 times
Listed quite a few books regarding one of my husband's former hobbies. Most of them have bids already. So win-win: We'll get a little money and some space back! They sure weren't doing us any good sitting in a box. Now they can be someone else's clutter.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:09 PM

659 posts, read 352,662 times
2 things that kicked my butt into action:

1. I am reading a book called The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up; the Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, by Marie Kondo. This book is truly life-changing for those who just don't know how to tackle the job of decluttering and downsizing.

2. Watched the documentary film "Minimalist" on Amazon Prime

One of the messages of the film was to ask yourself about your possessions," What value does this item serve for me?"

It was so clear to me that a lot of what was in the house really didn't serve me at all any more. They were more of a ball and chain around my neck that I felt that I had to maintain, simply because I once decided to bring it into my life. Like I had made some unconscious commitment to keep it forever. (Well at least for the foreseeable future) How crazy is that??

That night, I quickly filled up 5 moving boxes and 2 giant Hefty bags with stuff to donate. There's still more to go. But it felt like such a weight off my shoulders just to get that stuff out into the garage to be taken to Goodwill. And before doing that, anyone would look around my house and say it was pretty void of clutter. Clutter knows how to hide!!

Old 12-28-2016, 01:58 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,777,962 times
Our 35 year old son is home for the holidays. He lives overseas and has finally admitted he probably will stay there for at least 5 more years. He went through all the stuff he had stored in our home because we are moving and simply will not have the room to store our own stuff, much less his.
We donated a tent, 2 sleeping bags, and lots of other camping equipment to a Boy Scout troop in a less prosperous part of town.(He was not ready to part with the scrapbooks and notes from his Eagle Scout project 20 years ago!) They were tickled. We also donated 3 huge Hefty bags of his shoes, clothes, etc to the PTA thrift shop and convinced him to get rid of his high school yearbooks. They were huge and quite heavy and just didn't mean anything to him anymore.

We also had him haul old patio furniture and a swing set to the curb for pick up Friday. Good riddance.

Next I will tackle my beloved fabric stash. Man that will be hard. I will keep my favorite and donate much to sewing groups who make things for charities.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 AM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,933 times
Off from work between December 23 and January 3..... committed to start decluttering because in a couple of years we'll be moving and 20 years off accumulation I do not want to haul with me.....

Yesterday tackled the kitchen.... I am the breadwinner so my husband pretty much controls the kitchen. He also puts things in places where I have to guess where they are - and despite not finding much to "declutter" I did reorganize the drawers so they make more sense.

I almost threw out his wafflemaker..... which I have never seen him use.

Next up? Our book collection and closets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement