U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 06:36 PM

653 posts, read 891,106 times

Advertisements

Before my adult son left to return home from Christmas vacation I got him to go through his old bookcase -- he took about 5 treasured books and the rest will go to Goodwill. I also have 3 bags of miscellaneous linens, glass bowls and various other household "clutter" that I will take to Goodwill next week. I am going to work on my kitchen pantry next week and I plan to rid myself of various unused appliances including a waffle maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 06:39 PM

858 posts, read 590,457 times
Does throwing away plastic bowls with no lid and throwing away lids with no bowl count? (rubbermaid, etc.)

Old 12-29-2016, 06:51 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,868,233 times
The shed! the shed! We cleaned out 14 years of assorted junk from the shed!! You can actually walk in there without tripping over a bunch of crap-ola. Feeling good about it!!

Old 12-29-2016, 08:53 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Before my adult son left to return home from Christmas vacation I got him to go through his old bookcase -- he took about 5 treasured books and the rest will go to Goodwill. I also have 3 bags of miscellaneous linens, glass bowls and various other household "clutter" that I will take to Goodwill next week. I am going to work on my kitchen pantry next week and I plan to rid myself of various unused appliances including a waffle maker.
If you have Nextdoor or even are willing to use Craig's List it is easy to simply put a notice you have a box or two of kitchen/pantry items you want to give away to anyone who wants to take it from the curb in front of your house. We have gotten some wonderful thank you notes from folks who got our free stuff. I don't really like Goodwill and would just as soon have it go directly to people who can use it.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:57 PM

13,252 posts, read 6,345,210 times
My daughter finally gave me a bag of all her trophies since childhood. I need to remove her name and perhaps give them away.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:04 AM

748 posts, read 569,551 times
I went through our freezers and threw out a lot. Then reorganized. I found at least six packages of breaded chicken. My hubby loves to shop and comes home with more of what we still had without checking first. He has been asked not to buy anything now unless the shelf is empty. That will last a couple of months!

Old 12-31-2016, 05:50 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,795,280 times
Visiting son went through a big box of love letters, photographs, and memorabilia from his 11-year love affair which ended 4 years ago. He read all the letters and ran them through the shredder along with the photos. I didn't even know this box was in the house but I'm glad he handled it and that part of his life is just a distant memory. We liked the girl and expected her to be family but it was not meant to be.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:15 AM

6,835 posts, read 3,872,820 times
Sounds like he's making a clean start for the new year. It feels so good when you realize you are ready to completely leave a painful episode behind.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:18 AM
mlb

3,189 posts, read 2,858,918 times
I did something similar - I have boxes of mementos..... letters from my parents, my baby book (chickenpox! for the second time - 1962), handmade birthday cards from my siblings when I turned 1 years old.... Went through it all yesterday. LOVELY - I will keep those.

Then there were letters and articles about friends I was attached to in my young life who, for lack of a better way of putting it - defined me - and not in a good way. I "carried" their memories with me for way too long. I have - over the years - moved on mentally and gotten rid of reminders. Found some more yesterday and trashed them.

I think that's the last of them. The people - are still around..... but I have changed my response to them. In a good way.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:29 AM

859 posts, read 472,387 times
Even though I'm itching to dive back into clearing out my own stuff, I'm still at Mom's. The great cleanup has slowed way down, now that she's mobile again, but it's still going on.

She decided for herself that she needed a new set of dishes that are microwave safe. We got them home, and then she decided to keep the old dishes "for Sundays." I suggested she could clean out a buffet full of various tablecloths to make room. She selected a few placemats and one tablecloth, but at least rearranged them so all the old dishes fit.

All by herself, she cleaned out an entire dresser drawer of old, ratty blankets, so they'll go to charity next week.

The next big project is to sort through all of her Christmas decorations and decide what to keep, what's busted and needs to be tossed, and what can be donated. The keepers will go into better storage boxes and be placed on a shelf she can reach.

We're still not certain if, when her cataract gets fixed, she'll be able to drive. If not, she'll have to move. That means estate sale. Rather than have a crash cleanout, I recently discovered this:

6 Benefits of Using a Senior Move Manager

The benefits to using a Senior Move Manager is we don't have to crash on doing it. Mom stays in control while working with the SMM to determine what she absolutely has to keep, what she wants to keep that will fit into a new and smaller floorplan, and what can be sold in an estate sale. The SMM can take as long as it takes to inventory and sort through Mom's stuff. Then the estate sale proceeds can go into Mom's upkeep.

I want to explore this some more, with the hope that a SMM could get Mom to let go of more stuff, whether she stays here or moves. Then, when the time comes, the final clearing won't be so extensive. Having had to go through a gigantic clean out on Spousal Unit's mom's farm, with only three weeks until the new owners took possession, we do not want to go through another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement