U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 12:22 AM

1,164 posts, read 650,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillRoaming View Post
Also threw out my mother's collection of very old hair permanent rods/curlers, which I'm sure some of you ladies may also remember with a shudder.
Ha! I still have a set of those. Honestly they don't take up much space...and I might use them someday probably not but where would you buy them if you did decide to use them? My sister still uses hers...

Anyway, I took 2 big bins to the thrift 2 days ago. I throw stuff in there I don't want any more, then when it's full I take it there. All the dolls, stuffed animals the grandkids outgrew; a big glass vase; a whole bunch of stuff that I don't use any more from our office supply closet; a big heavy blanket that unbalances my washer when I attempt to wash it; several pairs of shoes because my feet refuse to stop growing. Felt great to get rid of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 07:17 PM

36,485 posts, read 43,786,752 times
sold two Swarovski pieces on ebay and listed 2 more. DH sold some photography equipment and some collector knives.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:29 PM

202 posts, read 141,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Ha! I still have a set of those. Honestly they don't take up much space...and I might use them someday probably not but where would you buy them if you did decide to use them? My sister still uses hers...
A beauty supply store. People still get perms and they use rods to do it. I had a permanent until recently and they used different sized rods to do it. They aren't hard to find....

Old 01-26-2017, 06:18 PM

42 posts, read 33,989 times
Checked into selling some china and collectibles. Not sure about how to do on Ebay.

Emptied our dresser to move it out of our bedroom so that we can paint.

Made an appointment with a vendor to see about re-doing the wood floors.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape_mass View Post
Checked into selling some china and collectibles. Not sure about how to do on Ebay.

I'll share my experience with this. China is almost impossible to sell.( Apparently, nobody uses nice china anymore.) Certainly large collections. I was told to try it by place setting or special serving pieces instead of "xyz pattern place settings for 12 and 3 serving pieces." plus packing and shipping would be cost prohibitive. I had a CD person contact me about which pattern I was selling (12 place settings). She seemed very interesting and we even agreed on a price. Then she said she would not pay for than $30 in shipping!!!! How naive.

I also looked into consignment shops and nobody wanted them. But that was right before Christmas so maybe they didn't have room.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:05 PM

857 posts, read 471,854 times
Hauled a pickup load of stuff to the local thrift store. Then Mom started a new pile. This is good; she's finally acknowledging that she can't keep everything.

Sure does make me want to be back at my own home, where I can clean out my own junk.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:33 AM

I started looking at my fabric stash and fell in love with fabric all over again and I remember all the projects I dreamed of doing. Then I started looking at fabric online and started buying more!!! But only in half yard increments for quilting. It's an affliction, an addiction. I can't take just one "drink" and be satisfied.
Sold a sofa this morning and one more Swarovski on ebay.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,538,444 times
Haven't downsized yet, but have been talking about it. We just found out that a house we owned / sold 13 years ago, may be coming on the market......nice house, a little smaller and only 1/2 acre. The house has had all the updates done over the years, and we may be able to get back into it for $100,000 less than what we sold it for years ago. We may stay here as we are looking to retire in 5-7 years and move south, so not sure purchasing another house is the right move, not to mention we probably take a soft hit if we were to sell now.....may be in a better position at retirement.

Old 02-04-2017, 09:56 AM

2,915 posts, read 1,590,302 times
I was going to put in a new kitchen but decided to paint (solid oak cabinets) & replace counters & stove. Downsized a major project until I start collecting SS.

Last edited by Hefe; 02-04-2017 at 10:07 AM..

Old 02-05-2017, 03:18 PM

419 posts, read 257,322 times
I have been going through my old files and pitching or shredding things no longer relevant or of interest. It's amazing the amount of paper you accumulate over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement