U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times

Advertisements

I used to stop by Goodwill for one item and walk out with ten; after all, they were great buys, and I MIGHT use the stuff one day. Same with Dollar Tree; everything is just a dollar! After emptying a three-story house in a month, I now debate long and hard before dragging ANYTHING home with me; I know it'll have to be dealt with one way or another one day... By me! Been there, done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 08:31 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,323,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I used to stop by Goodwill for one item and walk out with ten; after all, they were great buys, and I MIGHT use the stuff one day. Same with Dollar Tree; everything is just a dollar! After emptying a three-story house in a month, I now debate long and hard before dragging ANYTHING home with me; I know it'll have to be dealt with one way or another one day... By me! Been there, done that.
I hear ya! It's so easy to drag more stuff home, but it isn't going to magically disappear. WE'RE gonna have to deal with it! So better not to bring it home in the first place.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:43 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Can't wait to hear my siblings story about her in laws house today.

They go there for Easter. I law has been living in the new place maybe two years. Every inch of wall is covered with some doodad from her dollar store shopping excursions. She says you can barely turn around in her place.

I think of that when I even think of buying something that I can't eat or use up.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:27 AM

12,291 posts, read 15,184,803 times
Gathered some of my children's old clothes (the youngest is 28) for donation. Was saving them for the grandchildren, but they don't want them.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:42 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,429,415 times
I’m going through a massive clearing up. I have 11 kitchen-size garbage bags of stuff (lots of things from my shed – broken fan, lamps, etc) which will go in next week’s extra garbage pickup ; another pile is for donations (good stuff that I don’t want), and the third pile will go to gotjunk. It’s going to feel good when everything is done...but it's going to take a while!

Old 04-16-2017, 01:41 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
We've completed our move from a 2500 sf to a 1500 sf house and are STILL downsizing. We bought most of our framed paintings and prints with us because we weren't sure which ones would work best in our new home. Ditto accent pieces like lamps, small tables, mirrors, ornamental pottery, etc.
We already have a yard sale planned next month for items that don't make the cut.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:35 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
[quote=twins4lynn;47855523]I’m going through a massive clearing up. I have 11 kitchen-size garbage bags of stuff (lots of things from my shed – broken fan, lamps, etc) which will go in next week’s extra garbage pickup ; another pile is for donations (good stuff that I don’t want), and the third pile will go to gotjunk. It’s going to feel good when everything is done...but it's going to take a while![/QUOTE

Are you not selling anything? I dread it -- and won't even know how to go about it -- but I'll at least have to use one of those "everything but the house" auction places to get SOMETHING for the things that have some value... Even if it's just pennies on the dollar, that would feel better than just giving away things I spent too much money on in the first place!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:59 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
[quote=otterhere;47863347]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
Iím going through a massive clearing up. I have 11 kitchen-size garbage bags of stuff (lots of things from my shed Ė broken fan, lamps, etc) which will go in next weekís extra garbage pickup ; another pile is for donations (good stuff that I donít want), and the third pile will go to gotjunk. Itís going to feel good when everything is done...but it's going to take a while![/QUOTE

Are you not selling anything? I dread it -- and won't even know how to go about it -- but I'll at least have to use one of those "everything but the house" auction places to get SOMETHING for the things that have some value... Even if it's just pennies on the dollar, that would feel better than just giving away things I spent too much money on in the first place!
If they are of value, they would be easy to sell. If not, just give them away. So freeing.

I'm glad I stopped buying things years ago. Even for gifts, I tell people if I can't eat it or spend it, don't give it to me.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:18 PM

21,660 posts, read 11,117,335 times
I watch the hoarder show and it makes me go through drawers and papers.. less is more. I hate too many 'THINGS" around. That show is scary!!

I have a place for everything, but the filing cabinets keep getting more papers, so I go through all the old papers when I feel they are obsolete because I save every paper on so many things.

I have three ring notebooks with zip pouches that keep different papers, such as insurance, bank, medical, taxes, etc. and reach for that book. I have file pouches in each notebook such as the insurance notebook to separate car insurance, house insurance,life insurance, etc and it works out for me. I know where everything is if I need to find it.

I also have a automobile notebook with repairs, purchases such as tires, and maintenance. I have a notebook on large purchases , such as appliances, lawn tractor, pressure washer, osmosis etc.

I live in my home but want to find everything. I used to be too much of a perfectionist but the to do lists in my head I got rid of because I was never without something to do.

When I go to buy something, I buy only what I need. I never asked myself years ago do I need this.. I just bought it on a whim. Now I say to myself..... do I really need another one of these? Most often I say NO..

Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,738,878 times
we sold a bunch of swarovski things on ebay. Doesn't free up too much room but fewer things to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement