U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 01:20 PM

650 posts, read 369,518 times

Advertisements

I'm not retiring yet, but in an attempt to de-clutter my life, I've decided I'm going to get rid of all of my old electronics. (Among other things.)

That includes my old Sony kv20xbr. Yep, you heard right. A Sony kv20xbr. A 20" Sony TV. Which, by my recollection, was the first stereo TV available in the US (along with the 25" version). I bought it from A&A Appliance in Austin Texas, in 1985 for $863. I remember writing the check. I was so proud of that TV. I still have it the original box. The box is HUGE. I had it repaired once (those TVs were notorious for their bad flyback transfers.) I don't have the original remote, and the speakers aren't original, but the TV worked the last time I put it into the box. I always thought it would be a collectors item. But I can find virtually nothing about it on the internet.

It's currently sitting in a corner of the unfinished section of my basement, under other boxes. I haven't taken it out of the box in 15 years.

And I have other old electronics, in a storage unit. I'll probably never use this stuff again. Two big JBL floor speakers, two JBL bookshelf speakers, an Onkyo 1027 turntable (with a Shure M97HE cartridge), an Onkyo TA-2055 cassette recorder. As far as I know, this stuff all works.

I even kept my old Pioneer SX-580 receiver. My first receiver. A beautiful receiver--a work of art, really. Compared to the the stuff that came afterword. (Look it up. You can find that model on eBay.) All that stuff is in a storage locker I pay $55 a month for. And the chances are I will never use this stuff again.

So why keep it? Right?

--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 01:36 PM

761 posts, read 384,740 times
A dear antique Irish souvenir cup got mailed to a friend who just loves her heritage.. it was in my cupboard that needed thinning.
A question/answer game we bought for the holidays was put into a box headed for a friend who can play with her sister while recuperating, and a book done being read. A short story magazine was re-routed to assisted living.

Some of what we own, ordinary things we've enjoyed but no longer hold the allure they once did can be given to someone they might be meant for.
Look at what you don't need and these items will tell you where they belong.
Maybe with a friend, or simply - its time to lets someone else enjoy it by giving it to the donation box.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 PM

18,082 posts, read 22,924,480 times
How timely this thread came back to life now - while I'm packing to move again lol!

I have been moving a small carry-on suitcase that I got for cheap, since I left Santa Clara 3 1/2 years and two moves ago and have never used it during this time. And I have gone on overnight trips. I prefer to use a soft-sided bag and always pack really light. And I just never go on airplanes anymore.

So, here I sit, after ruthlessly downsizing again, with just a few items I have to make decisions on which to toss, because this time I'm just packing my own little pickup and hauling a tiny trailer, instead of hiring movers to just move those few boxes of junk around that I haven't even opened up in all this time - and am staring at that little carry-on suitcase...

It's between that suitcase and a few plastic stacking drawers - that I actually use.

So, why was that decision so hard? Finally committed to just donating the darn thing to St. Vincent's :-)

Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM

18,082 posts, read 22,924,480 times
By the way, have you noticed your neighbors becoming really chummy since you started clearing out your stuff? I have one who is relentlessly hanging around with dumb reasons to visit, eyeballing the stuff I have. It's been like feeding a feral animal. Never should have started giving her free stuff lol. I quit answering the door, even though my dog barks her head off and she knows I'm in here ignoring her now. Relentlessly interrupting my packing and I can't get rid of her!

Old 05-04-2017, 02:38 PM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
About books -- lots of people move into places with bookcases and don't have any (or enough) of their own. I had this problem when I downsized my library and then found myself with not enough to fill the shelves in my next place. Luckily, I found some sets of encyclopedias and other vintage books in boxes for $5 each at an auction, and I was thrilled to give them a new home! Always sell at an auction, yard sale, library sale, or give to Goodwill or Salvation Army, if possible.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:33 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,323,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We are in NY this week cleaning out the house . Never-ending trips to Goodwill and village recycling and loading boxes that will go with us back to FL. I'm guessing some of those box contents may go to the cat rescue there when I unpack. I'm brutal about what gets tossed when I start the day, but by late afternoon that resolve starts crumbling.
I know exactly what you mean by the bolded part! We will start our 4th day of garage-cleaning today. We have been limiting our time in the garage to 4 hours, due to hubby's medical issues, but by the 4th hour, I am feeling less ruthless. It's probably a good thing we don't push on. LOL

So sorry about finding that Father's Day card.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
By the way, have you noticed your neighbors becoming really chummy since you started clearing out your stuff? I have one who is relentlessly hanging around with dumb reasons to visit, eyeballing the stuff I have. It's been like feeding a feral animal. Never should have started giving her free stuff lol. I quit answering the door, even though my dog barks her head off and she knows I'm in here ignoring her now. Relentlessly interrupting my packing and I can't get rid of her!
LOL. No one hanging around us, but I could see that happening. Often, my neighbor takes junk that we have hauled to the curb. If I were his wife, I would promptly put that junk back outside! But it disappears into his basement, to be removed when he is gone, I suppose.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzsilk View Post
Before our retirement move, I purged. Well, I purged to the best of my ability. My DH might say something different. I donated a set of Wedgewood china to a thrift store and kept my favorite set. Although it is not in me to get rid of books, at my husband's prompting, I did get rid of many....but not all. We thought about what furniture to keep (the versatile pieces) and we gave away, sold at a garage sale or donated the rest. We still ended up with 150 boxes to move, washer/dryer, grand piano, two queen size beds which wererelatively new, and more. Many of the boxes sit unopened in the garage. I intend to go through them a second time and get rid of more things. I find it to be an exhausting job and love putting it off until later. Okay, so now I'm motivated to go through my closet and pull out the clothes that I thought I would have worn this past winter, but never did. Wish me luck!
Go for it! Go, go, go!

Old 05-05-2017, 11:10 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,505,046 times
I tore down a queen sized bed and sold it on CL within 24 hours. Bagged up all the linen and made the small area into a reading area by the window.
We both love, and sleep in, our catnapper recliners and use fleece and cotton decorated throws all over the house.
When guests come I will have a twin raised airbed available.
Also set our upright vacuum and shampoo machines out to the dumpster. They were kaput. Going to get new, mini ones.
Set them out and they were gone in 5 minutes. Can't imagine who'd want them.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:49 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
I'm debating either Arizona or Tennessee. Still have some work clothes I haven't gotten rid of or worn. Hoping that my travels & hopefully a decision will make the decision easier for me. The problem is that they work as dress up clothes & church clothes but haven't had to wear them here as they are too dressy (office clothes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement