U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 03:44 AM

4,972 posts, read 3,457,347 times

Advertisements

Yay for you. My sister has boxes of books she'll be giving to the library sale. So that's a thought.

I now do books on kindle & will only keep the most beloved on actual shelves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 04:31 AM

2,457 posts, read 2,101,901 times
I have a huge pile of clothing on the floor in a spare bedroom, ready to be itemized and all for Viet Vets to pick up next week. I am guessing there must be 6 to 8 large bags full this time. I do this every few months but this one is really going to be a big one. This bundle will also include 2 large suitcases. They are still in good shape but we bought more durable luggage so these are really not needed.
Recently got rid of some serving pieces which had somehow accumulated (but we never liked ) so clearing out some of the cabinets.
Still lots to do but I just think baby steps and little by little the more I purge the easier it will be to continue as it highlights what doesn't belong.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:32 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,769,854 times
We closed on our new house Friday and are slowly moving in. We've all gone through all our winter clothes and each of us has a big pile to donate to the PTA thrift shop in town.

We're downsizing from a king size bed to a queen and I can't decide if I should donate the sheets and start over or simply cut them down a little bit which is very easy to do. Thinking now I'll cut them down as sheets are expensive.

I made a big box of kitchen things to donate too. When am I ever going to use my angel food pan or 4 mini cupcake pans? How many cookie sheets do I really need? I just need to research how to deep clean the favorite one.

Slowly but surely we will get there. Everyone needs to do a purge like this every few years. It's easy to accumulate way more than you need, especially if you have a basement.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:07 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,387,974 times
Are you not tempted to try to sell them? So many people where I live routinely advertise what I would consider junk/yard sale items/donation-grade things that it amazes me; it always sells, too! Just seems like too much trouble to me...or I can't get organized enough to do it myself; not sure which! I'm a very frugal person, so I can't believe I just throw money away like that (even a dollar or two per item), but can't seem to motivate myself. Not sure why...

Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,328,622 times
Hubby has been on a tear, cleaning out kitchen cabinets and drawers. Oh, the junk that had collected in those drawers! So much easier to throw something in a drawer than to deal with it. I like how he works: He takes everything out of the closet or drawers, asks me what should stay or go, cleans everything that is staying and then neatly puts it back in the drawer or closet. Anything going either goes in the trash or in the Goodwill pile. Works for me! My job is to take the Goodwill stuff to the garage and put it in the Goodwill box I have been keeping for the next time I have an errand in that direction.

Little by little...

Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,328,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We closed on our new house Friday and are slowly moving in. We've all gone through all our winter clothes and each of us has a big pile to donate to the PTA thrift shop in town.

We're downsizing from a king size bed to a queen and I can't decide if I should donate the sheets and start over or simply cut them down a little bit which is very easy to do. Thinking now I'll cut them down as sheets are expensive.

I made a big box of kitchen things to donate too. When am I ever going to use my angel food pan or 4 mini cupcake pans? How many cookie sheets do I really need? I just need to research how to deep clean the favorite one.

Slowly but surely we will get there. Everyone needs to do a purge like this every few years. It's easy to accumulate way more than you need, especially if you have a basement.
Congrats on the new house! Agree with how expensive sheets are.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:26 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,457,347 times
Finally sold my son's motorcycle. I took a huge loss but it is so freeing not to have to worry about what to with it. At least it is going to someone who really wants it. Now I can move on.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:13 PM

6,313 posts, read 5,053,602 times
Cleaned out the second fridge.

I barely cook now and things had been lingering in there. Doubt my non cooking habit will change so items got tossed. Most were way past the sell by date anyway. Looks a lot better.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM

1,187 posts, read 663,585 times
I opened a mystery cardboard box way back in a closet and it was filled with pamphlets and information packages from multiple colleges and universities that had arrived in the mail.

My "kids" have all graduated, the last one more than 8 years ago so one more box tossed!

Old 04-07-2018, 11:51 AM

2,457 posts, read 2,101,901 times
I remembered this thread and searched it out to add to it- I guess it's been a VERY long extended process- we are continuing to go through stuff in anticipation of really listing the house within the next few weeks / month.
I periodically would go through things and regularly scheduled pick ups from the various charities. I am amazed at how much I still have left and will be giving away.
One other thing I don't know if was mentioned previously but bears repeating, is freecycle. I have offered things that are totally useful and usable and even possibly desirable, but not worth selling.
I recently gave some flower arrangements and some cabinet hardware... someone wants it, I leave it out on the porch and they enjoy it.
Anyway it's truly amazing how much stuff we have- and my house is not very cluttered.....just taking another break and sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement