U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 04:55 PM

6,989 posts, read 6,981,700 times

Advertisements

We did a huge downsizing 3-1/2 years ago. Need to do it again as closets seem to be getting full again LOL.

Downsizing was so emotional. Lots of memories and many decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 05:13 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,521,066 times
I retired in October and one of my 3 goals for the first year is to declutter to eventually make a move. I'm behind on that goal but am making some progress. My files and papers are now in a few boxes where I can find everying and my linen closet and shoe closet are cleaned out. I started this week on my clothes - cannot believe how much clothing I have in about 5 different sizes. I could have retired two years earlier if I had not gained weight or shopped so much when younger. My weight is going down (my #1 goal) so am hoping to get rid of most larger sizes as I shed pounds. Our neighborhood association has a garage sale in April or May so want to use that opportunity to give away books and knick knacks.

Old 04-08-2018, 05:14 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,595,656 times
I’m pretty sure I posted here once upon a time. One suggestion often given is take pictures of stuff you want to remember but are getting rid of. Today I was searching through folders on my laptop for ancestor pictures, doing some genealogy work. I stumbled onto my “old memories” file and there it was, pictures of stuff I downsized and got rid of but sure was fun to look at again like kids art projects, awards, clothes I was proud to have made one time, etc. sure beats dragging it around with us.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:02 AM

7,790 posts, read 4,378,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
We did a huge downsizing 3-1/2 years ago. Need to do it again as closets seem to be getting full again LOL.

Downsizing was so emotional. Lots of memories and many decisions.
I can do everything but the emotional stuff; that's still SO hard. :'(

We ALL need to follow the "one-in, one-out" rule after decluttering. For instance, if you bring in a new item of clothing, one you already own must go out; same with books, etc. That way, it can never happen again...

Old 04-09-2018, 08:45 AM

284 posts, read 138,476 times
We are really trying to get rid of junk. I have about 5 boxes of books that will be donated to the library sale. I found a lot of books to read but once I read them will get rid of them. Also got rid of clothes that are too big. Went through the kitchen. Next we will tackle linens.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 AM

1,924 posts, read 986,927 times
I am going through my huge old cedar chest TODAY!!! and getting rid of winter clothing that I haven't warn since my last move. I'm not sure local charities will be happy to have winter clothing, but if I don't do it now, I will be in the "well.... I might wear it" mode next fall.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:03 AM

13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

We ALL need to follow the "one-in, one-out" rule after decluttering. For instance, if you bring in a new item of clothing, one you already own must go out; ...
Regarding clothing, it would be great if one stayed the same size. For me, losing and then regaining health made a box of castoff clothing that is like archeology- oldest stuff at the bottom. I've given most of it to the church thrift shop, St. Vincent.

Every time now I look at anything, I picture the movers coming this weekend and packing anything I haven't disposed of and how I'll have to deal with it in Colorado after a 2200-mile drive. Great incentive to get moving on it.

Today I started throwing out long-outdated dry goods in the kitchen from some daydream of a grain dish or a fear of running out of peppercorns. I learn I don't deal with anything in upper cabinets and I'm short. Told my builder to keep that in mind at all times- I'm 5'1", he's 6' 5". I shudder to think what he could have done with the microwave over the oven.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:14 AM

611 posts, read 248,885 times
Began the process a year before I retired and now retired almost a year....still not finished! Have taken multiple boxes of stuff to thrift stores and books to Half Price Books. Donated all of my working wardrobe and now down to jeans/sweatshirts and tees. Have begun packing for the eventual move....packed up holiday dishes, champagne flutes and the like. Amazing how little one actually needs on a day to day basis! Packed up dvds and will not be buying anymore, as I have plenty and a lot is now available for free on Amazon Prime or to rent at a small price. Books are still my major weakness....can't seem to let enough go! Will probably be taking 15 or so boxes with me! Scheduled furniture donations with Salvation Army next week for larger furniture items that will not be going. So progress continues to be made, but seems like a very long process! My resolution is to avoid accumulating clutter in the new location!

Old 04-09-2018, 11:35 AM

4,960 posts, read 3,451,255 times
I've been here over six months now & still haven't unpacked everything. Partly because I need to get more cabinets, partly being lazy, partly they are summer clothes. Sure glad I kept both summer & fall clothing!

Thankfully, to get the best price when I moved, I could only have 30 medium sized boxes. I got rid of a lot of things that I was keeping because they were pretty or sentimental. Or I'd bought them because I felt deprived for some reason.

Except for the unpacked boxes, everything I have now I use. And the unpacked are slowly getting done as I need things in them, mostly warm weather clothes & craft materials.

I'm finding that I really don't need more than one set of dishes & cookware, lol. I don't even know why I felt I needed three sets of everything.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:50 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,696,178 times
Like ABQ2015, I retired in October and I'm in process of downsizing - I've gone through my books, clothing, old paperwork including stuff from work, and will go through desk and "junk" drawers next. Then I'll do the kitchen and pantry. I've also made a list of furniture I'll ditch when I move in September. I do this every few years, and am always amazed at how much junk I still have left even after decluttering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement