U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 05:54 PM

538 posts, read 284,841 times

Advertisements

Listing our house to sell in about a month, purging 30 years worth of stuff. Today we sold the shop press, some power tools, and have people interested in a bunch of other tools that spouse is ready to give up. Have made more trips to donate to Habitat than I can count at this point. Stuff that was just plain junk has already gone via the trash man. We are having a garage sale on Saturday then the leavings after that will be donated.

All of this is very cathartic. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 07:36 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,101,901 times
I have again--- scheduled a pick up (this time with Lupus org) for tomorrow, and have like 6 big bags full of window treatments, comforters, overcoats- bulky stuff.
I have been scheduling a pick up like every 2 weeks, and each time I find more and more stuff to get rid of. That, and freecycle are helping me out with odds and ends.
I cannot believe HOW MUCH stuff there is (and I am NOT a hoarder in the least....it's just 30 years of accumulation).

Old 06-25-2018, 01:29 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,784,658 times
Thursday we had our band trailer and it's contents, very large PA and light systems, drive away with it's new owners. I thought for sure hubby would cry, but he didn't. Maybe the $5800 he got for it all helped.....

Old 06-25-2018, 01:38 PM

563 posts, read 266,604 times
I wish I could find someone willing to pick up things we'd like to donate. I've contacted Disabled Veterans, A Church near us that has a large building where they sell things donated to help families in need and Salvation Army and others, None pick up in our area code. I have quite a few larger expensive items I'd gladly donate if someone could come get them.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:16 PM

6,315 posts, read 5,055,910 times
I got 25 dollars from the one bag of items I passed on to my friend to sell. Not bad. I thought maybe ten bucks! Will use as my going out to breakfast money.

I purged my pant collection and will be turning that over to her also.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:37 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,101,901 times
Well the more things change the more they stay the same?
This thread just came up today and we are just starting to actually pack for our move at the end of next month. As I have been going through cabinets and closets and drawers I keep finding more things to give away.
I wanted to mention that it is worth to check freecycle.org to see if there is anything near you that has any activity. I have given away so many things. It's wonderful. You post a brief description, often with a photo. Then usually fairly quickly (like same day or next day) you get emails from people who are interested. Once you arrange where .when etc they come and take the items offered.'
Most of the time once we establish the time and date, I leave the items on the front steps,
I continue to post stuff regularly and I guess my area is pretty active because most things are taken.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:32 PM

34 posts, read 11,646 times
Good Luck on your move! New here. We are fixing our house to sell and then what?

Husband wants to move to Colorado. I was looking the the forum here and it does not sound so good.

I have so much stuff to get rid of.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:34 PM

538 posts, read 284,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Mountains View Post
Husband wants to move to Colorado. I was looking the the forum here and it does not sound so good.

I have so much stuff to get rid of.
Just take it in small manageable bites.

Where in Colorado you looking?

Old 06-25-2018, 09:38 PM

34 posts, read 11,646 times
He would prefer south of Denver.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:24 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,389,547 times
I'm amazed at everyone who's so okay with just giving things away; even valuable things! I wish I could master my nagging feeling that I should try to recoup SOME of the cost of what I spend on this stuff (I definitely need the money), but as for now, I'm going to make an attempt to sell things locally on our office bulletin board and Facebook "yard sale."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement