U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 07:28 AM

6,313 posts, read 5,053,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm amazed at everyone who's so okay with just giving things away; even valuable things! I wish I could master my nagging feeling that I should try to recoup SOME of the cost of what I spend on this stuff (I definitely need the money), but as for now, I'm going to make an attempt to sell things locally on our office bulletin board and Facebook "yard sale."
Maybe it is because the money should have never been spent on those things in the first place?

Wasn't good mindful spending? So just let it go.

But I'm glad I ran into this friend of mine that sold my stuff.

heck - I've even considered giving my house away when I decide to move. Just let it go.....on to other adventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 07:44 AM

746 posts, read 482,574 times
Quote:
I'm amazed at everyone who's so okay with just giving things away; even valuable things! I wish I could master my nagging feeling that I should try to recoup SOME of the cost of what I spend on this stuff (I definitely need the money), but as for now, I'm going to make an attempt to sell things locally on our office bulletin board and Facebook "yard sale."
We donated a car recently. It was old with over 200K miles on it, but it still ran great. I'm sure we could have gotten some money for it, but the thought of listing it online and then having random people come to the house gave me the creeps. I hate to be that way, but scary things happen in today's world and I'm not sure it's worth the risk (or hassle) of trying to sell stuff. A neighborhood yard sale is one thing, but opening it up to a wider range? I don't know. Maybe I am just paranoid!

Old 06-26-2018, 08:12 AM

746 posts, read 482,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post

heck - I've even considered giving my house away when I decide to move. Just let it go.....on to other adventures.
Wow, now that would be quite the donation!

Old 06-26-2018, 09:34 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,387,974 times
Quote:
Maybe it is because the money should have never been spent on those things in the first place?

Wasn't good mindful spending? So just let it go.

But I'm glad I ran into this friend of mine that sold my stuff.

I've thought of that angle, too; donating it as an act of penance (self-punishment) for buying it in the first place. Luckily for me, I'm extremely frugal, so I never spend much on anything to begin with. It's either very cheap from a thrift store or free when it comes into the house in the first place. If I sell it, it's gravy.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Wow, now that would be quite the donation!
I'm sure that same friend who sold your stuff for a commission would be happy to sell your house for the same!

Old 06-26-2018, 12:13 PM

6,313 posts, read 5,053,602 times
Quote:
I've thought of that angle, too; donating it as an act of penance (self-punishment) for buying it in the first place. Luckily for me, I'm extremely frugal, so I never spend much on anything to begin with. It's either very cheap from a thrift store or free when it comes into the house in the first place. If I sell it, it's gravy.
so if you didn't spend much - there wouldn't be much to recoup? I figure getting 10% of what you spent would be ample.

So give it away

Maybe get it "back" as a tax deduction?

Old 06-26-2018, 02:11 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,295,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Thursday we had our band trailer and it's contents, very large PA and light systems, drive away with it's new owners. I thought for sure hubby would cry, but he didn't. Maybe the $5800 he got for it all helped.....
I'm sure it did.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
so if you didn't spend much - there wouldn't be much to recoup? I figure getting 10% of what you spent would be ample.

So give it away

Maybe get it "back" as a tax deduction?
I don't deduct, but just not having to mess with the hassle of the stuff (and people) is probably worth whatever loss I take. I've learned my lesson: not to accumulate stuff in the future! "One in, one out."

Old 06-26-2018, 02:44 PM

1,089 posts, read 489,794 times
First, I would like to say that even though I'm not anywhere close to retirement, this is a great thread with lots of intriguing ideas (I haven't read the whole thing, but like it so far).

Quote:
I hear ya. Having said that, I've found that the effort involved in selling things (or trying to sell them) is sometimes not worth the money you would get back. I've had some success selling online via FB marketplace-type groups and office bulletin board, but I've also recently had so many no-shows and non-responders, or "sorry, pass", or just no bites on my posts, that it starts to seem like a waste of time and mental investment. I don't have nearly enough good stuff for a garage sale, and even if I did, I have no desire to spend a weekend morning sitting outside or deal with people wanting ridiculous bargains ("will you take 10 cents for this item marked $1?").

Old 06-26-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
First, I would like to say that even though I'm not anywhere close to retirement, this is a great thread with lots of intriguing ideas (I haven't read the whole thing, but like it so far).

I hear ya. Having said that, I've found that the effort involved in selling things (or trying to sell them) is sometimes not worth the money you would get back. I've had some success selling online via FB marketplace-type groups and office bulletin board, but I've also recently had so many no-shows and non-responders, or "sorry, pass", or just no bites on my posts, that it starts to seem like a waste of time and mental investment. I don't have nearly enough good stuff for a garage sale, and even if I did, I have no desire to spend a weekend morning sitting outside or deal with people wanting ridiculous bargains ("will you take 10 cents for this item marked $1?").
I hear ya. It can be oddly demoralizing trying to sell -- and resell -- your junk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement