U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 07:43 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
It is labor intensive. Unless you are operating multiple scanners at the same time. Plus most people have pictures in their possession that are crap too. I think probably half of the pictures I have are of a quality or aesthetic appeal to really warrant scanning. I have literally thousands of pictures and negatives in large boxes. I went through several versions of film and cameras. Some are of stuff I have no idea why I took the picture of.

When my mom passed away, I only kept old vintage photos and those that were interesting.

She had all sorts of pics - fuzzy, out of focus - she kept them all. So I tossed those. No need to hang on to bad pics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 05:19 AM

2,459 posts, read 2,101,901 times
I am really pretty good about decluttering and getting rid of stuff. I have always done it regularly and then knowing that a move was coming up I was more diligent. HOWEVER the photos and stuff........I just don't know. I had previously tried to go through and toss the obvious blurry photos and such but I guess I did not get very far. So we are actually packing up and we have agreed (we'll see how it goes in reality when we get there) that a good bunch of stuff will be unloaded and our project when moved into the new home- is to purge yet again. We did get a somewhat flat rate for the move so not that I want bring extra stuff but the countdown is on and we just need to get packed.
While packing, I have been getting rid of so many papers (saved perhaps whole grades worth of memorabilia from 2 kids......occasionally saving something truly special but I got to the point where I was pretty much just putting it in recycling.).
And my point is- this is coming from someone who regularly and diligently decluttered and donated.
LHM (Lawdhamercy)

Old 07-03-2018, 07:26 AM

Does skipping two invitations to go shopping count? The thought of spending hours in a store gives me a headache.

Just can't do it now. I do shop online. A friend was very giddy at the prospect of spending July 4th shopping. I wondered why? She doesn't have any money - so what is the purpose? The whining of not being able to pay property taxes will continue. And then another has terrible taste in clothes. I don't know what to say when I see a new outfit. I know - stop being mean. LOL

Old 07-03-2018, 09:42 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,389,547 times
One thing I have going for me is that I absolutely HATE shopping, so I bring very few new things in to the house. That doesn't make getting rid of things easier now. I do think having a hard deadline (such as an upcoming move) helps motivate one. Last time, I ended up just putting perfectly good things out on the curb and was glad to do it. Now I'm back to agonizing over whether or not to ask $3 for a pair of gently used sneakers on my local Facebook yard sale page. Obviously there's no move looming, and so I lack motivation...

Old 07-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
One thing I have going for me is that I absolutely HATE shopping, so I bring very few new things in to the house. That doesn't make getting rid of things easier now. I do think having a hard deadline (such as an upcoming move) helps motivate one. Last time, I ended up just putting perfectly good things out on the curb and was glad to do it. Now I'm back to agonizing over whether or not to ask $3 for a pair of gently used sneakers on my local Facebook yard sale page. Obviously there's no move looming, and so I lack motivation...
Make the thought of getting that extra money in your pocket, your motivation.

The person that sold my stuff for me got 5 bucks for a used pair of tennis shoes. I wouldn't call them gently used either. I thought that was crazy!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM

7,801 posts, read 4,389,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Make the thought of getting that extra money in your pocket, your motivation.

The person that sold my stuff for me got 5 bucks for a used pair of tennis shoes. I wouldn't call them gently used either. I thought that was crazy!
It's distasteful to me, but I know I'll be glad when it's gone -- especially if there's extra money in my pocket!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:53 PM

3,694 posts, read 1,869,692 times
Sent some baby clothes to my son's Aunt. Her grandmother knitted them. My son's father wore one set home from the hospital, and she made some items for my son.

My son has no interest in them, but I thought they should stay in the family if I croaked. One less thing my husband will have to mess with.

She was pleased I reached out to her. Mailed them today.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:16 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,138,119 times
I brushed my dog.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:11 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
I brushed my dog.
My mini-Aussie BG certainly looks smaller after being brushed!

Old 07-03-2018, 06:35 PM

563 posts, read 266,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I've always hated to shop. While other girls and women loved to shop for hours looking at clothes etc..it was torture for me. If I must go in a store I have my list of what I need and then I leave. Actually I buy what little clothes we need online now and almost everything else we need I buy at Amazon. I do enjoy going to the farmer's market.

Today I bagged up some jeans and t-shirts to donate. I'll drop them off when we go out to dinner tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement