Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 11:22 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times

Advertisements

I've had company all weekend, but I managed to gather all the paper that needed to be shredded and get that done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I've had company all weekend, but I managed to gather all the paper that needed to be shredded and get that done.
Do you use your own shredder? Or take them somewhere to be shredded?

We have 2 shredders, and use them routinely, but we're running out of time that could be better spent on other tasks. Right now I have a 2x2x2 box almost full of papers to be shredded. The sheer volume alone overshelms my home shredders. I find myself emptying the hopper every 2-3 minutes

Anyone use a paper shredder service? I can't fine one that's just a one-time service. Seems they all want to set up on a recurring basis.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:11 PM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
maybe call one of those, explain the situation and ask if they do a one-time shred service?

Maybe not but won't hurt to ask.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:54 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post

Despite being a tech geek (and proud of it!) if I had digital files that I wanted saved for longer than a few decades, I would go old-tech. I would get the best, longest-lasting prints for my images. Ironically, that's most likely to be high-quality photographs of the images. Some of the first photographs ever made are still viewable!
Long lasting prints are likely B&W silver halide and certainly not the standard chemically processed color prints.

Media preservation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have been printing color digital photos with archival ink/prints which is supposedly to last 50 to 100 years.

The current 'best' digital way to preserve files is M-disc which claims to have lifespan of 1000 years.

M-DISC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just checked the prices of these M-disc and they seem to be pretty reasonable: $28 for a pack of 10

http://www.amazon.com/M-DISC-4-7GB-P.../dp/B005Y4NKVI

Old 04-20-2015, 02:10 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
MaryLee - I cheat and bring them into work and use our big work shredders. I did google "one time document shredding" and got a quite a few companies come up. I guess it may depend on where you live.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:23 PM

Seems it never ends! I will NEVER get to "downsize"

I keep trying, really, I do! when I look at the ton of stuff that goes out the door, I can't believe what's still left behind. I suppose the obvious answer is, I'm not downsizing enough!

Admittedly, The leftover items are smaller, but more difficult to decide. Today, I found an old box marked "DOLLS" I think my mother packed it, many years ago. It just got swept up on various moves. Why? I suppose because the box is relatively small, and the items are memory catchers. The emotions they provoke I prefer to not deal with during a move, so, I take them along to sort out later. Well, tonight I had a small meltdown looking through the box. My first Barbie Doll! Along with Ken, Skipper, Midge, and the gang. Also, I had a limited edition Barbie with wigs---blonde, redhead, and brunette. A few clothes, all in very poor condition. I doubt the dolls would sell for anything on Ebay, etc, since they are in such poor condition. I also found my very first dollbaby, Santa brought her when I was three.

I also came across an old ragdoll. At first I couldn't remember her, then, the memories came flooding back---dang An aunt made her years ago. She was old---the aunt---and her eyesight was poor. The doll was poorly made, almost laughable. Also, I was a bit too old for such---about 13. However, I graciously accepted it and said how beautiful she was and how I would always cherish her. The aunt died a few months later. The family thanked me for my gracious acceptance of the gift. They said it made her so happy. I could never belittle someone's gift, regardless, its a gift from the heart. Now, how do I part with the doll? I put her back in the box for "later".

I suppose downsizing is not about simply throwing out stuff. You go through past lives in the process. One can't be expected to throw their whole life into a dumpster. As we go on our way, we do collect/keep some things!

Problem is, I wasn't very productive tonight after looking at the Dolls! Must work harder tomorrow!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I put stuff in the alley. It disappears. I mark it "free".
Never worry about original cost.

We've done this, too! Its the easiest, hassle-free method to dispose of something, especially when time is tight. You might get a few bucks for selling it, but think of the money saved by not having to ship and store it!

Its spooky---how fast the stuff goes. We barely put stuff out and its gone! Makes you wonder who's trolling your alley and who's watching you

Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
You can retain memories without the stuff that goes with them.
The biggest issue so many have when downsizing is the emotional attachment and importance they place on the tangible item.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz1964 View Post
Totally agree with this. We have tried several garage sales through the years, with limited success in the decluttering department, relative to the effort involved.

My plan for the next couple of years is to take advantage of our children finishing college and starting to live on their own to get rid of excess stuff. Particularly furniture, kitchen items, and appliances. For instance we have about 4 sets of china that we barely use. I already said to our kids that, before they buy stuff for their future apartment or house, to first stop by our place and grab our excess items. I'm quite sure this will work great for our kids, since they are quite concious financially.

There are a couple of issues not typically mentioned when it comes to decluttering that are quite challenging. One is the natural tendency of trying to fill empty space that suddenly becomes available after decluttering. In my case my wife is the one that likes to fill the house with stuff. Another challenge for many of us who are sandwiched between aging parents and children is that, as the parents die they leave their own stuff behind to be disposed of. To those of us on the sentimental side it becomes quite challenging to dispose of parents memorabilia, specially shortly after death. Therefore, decluttering becomes a vicious circle of getting rid of stuff as children leave and getting new stuff as parents die.

In the end decluttering is a continuous effort, not a one time thing.
I believe this sums it all up

Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
One more thing, our local Staples office supply shop has a sign up that they do shredding, I don't recall the details in regards to a price or limits but something to look into as an alternative to doing it all at home if you are time crunched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement