U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 05:52 PM

86 posts, read 58,781 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestion for blankets and towels for animal shelters. I'm 2+ years out from retirement and have started the purge process. The last to go will be work clothes (yay). But like others, I've been going through boxes. if they've been there and unopened since the last move, memories or not, they get donated. Unused pots, pans, wine glasses, small appliances were first to go.

If my kids don't want their old report cards or drawings, they will get tossed. If they don't want photographs, they will get tossed. My collection of a million Xmas lights....gone. If I want lights when I retire, I'll buy new ones.

Let it go. So what if you paid good money for your stuff...if it's in a box, you don't need it. Let others enjoy your good fortune. You'll be happier inside knowing someone now has pots and sheets and can openers and staple guns and holiday decorations. Light up someone's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 11:42 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,531,842 times
Wow! This is a pretty old thread with over 1300 posts. I don't have time to go through so many posts, even though I'm already retired.

We've been decluttering in preparation for our move to Florida. Our last move was in 2001, only 6 miles. When the move is 6 miles away to a larger house, you don't need to declutter much. It's just another truckload or two to move. But when it's a 1500 mile move, moving the stuff we don't really need will cost us a lot of money.

I've sold a number of things on Craig's List. Many items were donated to thrift shops. Many things were recycled or put in the garbage.

I bought a ScanSnap iX500 multiple document scanner that can scan stacks of paper, scanning both sides of the pages at the same time, processing many pages per minute. I've converted bookcases of magazines and books in to PDF files. It's a destructive process, unbinding the magazines and books into stacks of pages. Then cleaning up the edges with a very heavy duty paper cutter. Then running stacks of paper through the scanner. I've also scanned catalogs and many documents. The files are backed up multiple places. After scanning the magazines and books, the pages are thrown into a recycling bin and are then gone from my life. Converting paper into a digital format really cleans up a lot of clutter, digitializing my life.

It's also a good idea to digitize photos and some things when we want to keep in paper format with a flatbed scanner, for a non-destructive conversion to a digital format. That way we can have a digital copy of those things that can be safely stored offsite.

I'm also throwing out hundreds of old VHS video tapes. The video I want to keep is streamed into a video capture card to convert the videos into computer files. I'm going to convert hundreds of audio cassette tapes and LP records into computer files using the same process, but I'll probably be continuing with that process after we move, from Florida.

The process of decluttering takes a long time. I need to go through the whole house and garage many times to reduce the footprint of our stuff. It's tough to get rid of stuff you've had for decades, that hasn't been used for decades. You have to fight the feeling that someday, you'll need those things. That "someday" will probably never occur. If we end up needing some things we got rid of, we'll re-buy replacements.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:05 AM

238 posts, read 84,534 times
It's an interesting a situation, depending . I'm 62, and realistically what is the point of holding onto once valued stuff unless I'm creating a museum to myself? Hardly. I want to digitalize photos more than anything. I take photos of things that get tossed. I'm trying to create Essence of House,

Old 07-05-2018, 08:00 AM

6,988 posts, read 6,981,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again (since more people are reading and commenting on this; great thread), even if you're the gutsy, throw-away type, please save out your blankets, quilts, towels, and bathrobes with buttons removed for animal shelters. Often it's all these poor creatures have to separate them from cold, hard, concrete cell floors and give them some comfort. I saw some sticking out of my neighbor's trash can, and it was all I could do not to go over and fish them out.
Yes, we take our old towels, robes and tee shirts to the animal shelter. They are very appreciative. I have a clean mattress pad that I'm thinking they may be able to cut up and use. Going to ask them.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:05 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Wow! This is a pretty old thread with over 1300 posts. I don't have time to go through so many posts, even though I'm already retired.

We've been decluttering in preparation for our move to Florida. Our last move was in 2001, only 6 miles. When the move is 6 miles away to a larger house, you don't need to declutter much. It's just another truckload or two to move. But when it's a 1500 mile move, moving the stuff we don't really need will cost us a lot of money.

I've sold a number of things on Craig's List. Many items were donated to thrift shops. Many things were recycled or put in the garbage.

I bought a ScanSnap iX500 multiple document scanner that can scan stacks of paper, scanning both sides of the pages at the same time, processing many pages per minute. I've converted bookcases of magazines and books in to PDF files. It's a destructive process, unbinding the magazines and books into stacks of pages. Then cleaning up the edges with a very heavy duty paper cutter. Then running stacks of paper through the scanner. I've also scanned catalogs and many documents. The files are backed up multiple places. After scanning the magazines and books, the pages are thrown into a recycling bin and are then gone from my life. Converting paper into a digital format really cleans up a lot of clutter, digitializing my life.

It's also a good idea to digitize photos and some things when we want to keep in paper format with a flatbed scanner, for a non-destructive conversion to a digital format. That way we can have a digital copy of those things that can be safely stored offsite.

I'm also throwing out hundreds of old VHS video tapes. The video I want to keep is streamed into a video capture card to convert the videos into computer files. I'm going to convert hundreds of audio cassette tapes and LP records into computer files using the same process, but I'll probably be continuing with that process after we move, from Florida.

The process of decluttering takes a long time. I need to go through the whole house and garage many times to reduce the footprint of our stuff. It's tough to get rid of stuff you've had for decades, that hasn't been used for decades. You have to fight the feeling that someday, you'll need those things. That "someday" will probably never occur. If we end up needing some things we got rid of, we'll re-buy replacements.
Our library takes old vhs tapes, books, dvds, etc and sells them by the bagful. Five dollars for a bag or 1 dollar each. This helps pay for kids' activities - arts and crafts supplies.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:12 AM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
I've found since decluttering prior to my long distance move I now think carefully before buying more 'stuff'. It's been very freeing plus I am not spending money on things I don't need.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:42 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,054,651 times
I finally went through a large, very heavy box of pictures and cards that Iíve been holding in to. Now, one has to be in the right frame of mind to get rid of these because I can start getting sentimental and stroll down memory lane, but got through it! Still kept enough photos that Iím happy with keeping and got down to a much smaller, more manageable box. When I move Iím sure I wonít have as much storage as I have now so it was necessary. Now Iím in the process of shredding.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:26 PM

19,828 posts, read 18,839,234 times
I was doing pretty well but I had to do a clean out of a relative's house after she went into a nursing home. I resisted fairly well but did come home with several containers of little things that I can use like unopened boxes of paper clips, kitchen trash bags, several new pairs of scissors. Got a cute little stool that I love. AND or a Handel lamp that I love and will be handed down in the family because it came from our family.

And also I now have to store some of her stuff here so I can take it to her little by little when she needs it in the memory care unit. But I have organized most of that into one big plastic bin. And today I got my sewing machine ready to donate and made a decision to get rid of a pretty (to me) old inlaid mahogany oval serving tray. I mean, I lived without it before I found it in an antique shop a long time ago. I think I can live without it again.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 PM

14,018 posts, read 20,323,805 times
Threw out some Ethernet cable.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,531,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Our library takes old vhs tapes, books, dvds, etc and sells them by the bagful. Five dollars for a bag or 1 dollar each. This helps pay for kids' activities - arts and crafts supplies.
It sounds like you're public library found a way to make money. I suspect that our public library has too much money! They didn't want the books I tried to donate to them. They said that they would recycle the books. I could have thrown the books in my own recycling bin if I knew that. I let them throw the books in their recycling bin, instead of hauling a big box of books back home.

I just found another big box of VHS tapes. I thought I went through all of them already. Now, I have about 100 more VHS tapes to review. I throw away most of them. Some of them I convert into a digital video file. If they are family videos, I digitalize the video and keep the VHS tape, just in case there's a way to improve on the digitalization process in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement