U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 12:51 PM

746 posts, read 481,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I agree that libraries are so important for much more than actual book storage, as you mentioned.

Our libraries are community centers offering many programs and gatherings, book-based and otherwise. Some people need help and guidance in accessing information which librarians provide. I live in a very educated, tech oriented community and a huge new regional library is being built now. People are supportive and excited.

Storytelling and reading activities programs set children on the lifetime path of the love of reading. My kids thought one of the highlights of their week was going to Storytime and then choosing a new pile of books for the week. What a shame it would be to lose that experience.
Amen to all of this. I totally agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 01:40 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Ordered new underwear!

I call it streamlining. My others were not the same type and didn't fit uniformly in the drawer.

This will also force me to get rid of those old favorites that really should be thrown out!

Old 07-09-2018, 04:10 PM

6,989 posts, read 6,983,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Meant to add . . . one way I have downsized is getting rid of file folders full of travel information. I used to save (for years) magazine and newspaper articles plus travel brochures for future trips.

It is pretty outdated now and new info can be easily acquired. Kind of hurt but I dumped most of it in the recycling bin.
This is a good idea. I have lots of folders full of info, especially about FL. Time to recycle it all.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:39 PM
mlb

3,178 posts, read 2,853,807 times
My husband - a salesperson of high end electronics and security systems years ago (he's now pretty much retired)... THREW AWAY ALL OF HIS WORK stuff today. Paperwork, brochures, etc.

I thought it would never happen.

Oh - and he put one of his office desks for sale in the newspaper. Keeping the better looking one for us when we move.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:48 PM

1,321 posts, read 644,823 times
Passed by all the good sales at the mall

Old 07-12-2018, 03:58 AM

14 posts, read 5,218 times
I cleaned out a drawer and found 2 book store gift cards...so really that worked in reverse...I added 5 books to the household.

I sold 2 pairs of Birkenstocks and a Willow Tree statue on ebay.

Took a directors type chair to Goodwill, along with a box of odds and ends - including a bunch of small stoppered glass bottles that contact lens used to come in...maybe 20 years ago.

My late son had a huge collection of CDS and DVDs. I am not ready to let these go but did get the DVDs organized in a way that I can see them and use them. (And I did let his best friend choose a lot of CDs to keep when I was clearing out my son's house.).

Working on labeling some photos and putting in albums.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:49 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,098,905 times
Had Viet Vets pick up about 10 huge trash bags full of clothing and linens. (I keep scheduling them every few weeks as we are on the purge for the move. ) Between that and offering things on freecycle many things are leaving the house. It breaks my heart to put stuff for trash. We have a sofa sitting at the curb that I really hoping gets taken and used. I have posted it free to sites- so hopefully. One more day until the trash pick up.
Its just amazing how much stuff we all have.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,532,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Oh - and he put one of his office desks for sale in the newspaper. Keeping the better looking one for us when we move.
Wow! That’s old school! Taking out an advertisement in the newspaper to sell stuff! My sister in law used Craig’s List to sell a lot of stuff they could to squeeze some cash out of it before their last move and downsizing. Some of the items where only $10 items. My sister in law showed me how Craig’s List worked, and it’s really easy to sell stuff with Craig’s List, and it’s free. I use a Google Voice phone number for Craig’s List so I don’t have to give out my cellphone number. The Google Voice phone number rings on my cellphone and an old landline telephone I my home with an Obihai device to connect the Google Voice number with the landline hardware. The most expensive item was $900 and the cheapest was $40. I usually List for about half to one third new price on an item, and then accept a bit less than that price, to move the item faster. Sometimes I get asking price without a reduced offer.

About 20 or 30 years ago, no one was walking around with a cellphone. Now, almost everyone has a smart cellphone, even the homeless people! I only know two people that still have flip cellphones, they aren’t poor, their cheap or “thirfty people”, but they still walk around with their old school flip cellphone. The corner phone booths are long gone, and they are never going to come back. Today, the young people don’t even know what that there used to be street corner phone booths, and what they used to look like. I think the long term future, a decade, maybe two decades, the physical library buildings will go away, just like the street corner phone booths are now soon to be forgotten history.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:08 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
Took some curtains and other household items to a local resale store. It is sort of like a Goodwill. You donate and they sell to raise money to help those in need.

This made room so I could put all my blankets and throws in one place. It was very disorganized before!

Old 07-12-2018, 06:26 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
We're doing some remodeling. We gave two pieces of wall art to the painter who painted our walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement