U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 06:31 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,533,501 times

Advertisements

When I was cleaning out my mom’s old house, I cut up an old piano, electronic organ, and an old pump organ. They were all old, but not old enough to be worth anything. I burned the wood from those items, brought the heavy metal from the piano to the scrap yard after cutting the 250 pound metal into 3 pieces that I could lift and haul up from the basement, the electronic parts from the electronic organ to the harzardous waste site, and threw the rest in the trash bin. The city trash picked up old mattresses and box spring for free.

After we sold mom’s old house, I started to declutter our house, in preparation for our move. Cleaning out tons of junk from my mom’s old house was practice for decluttering my house, which followed cleaning out my mom’s old house.

Our garbage service charges about $60 to pickup a mattress or box spring. So I cut up an old queen sized mattress and box spring, so it would fit inside of trash bags that would fit inside my trash bin. It was quite a bit of work to chop up the mattress and box spring, but I was too cheap to pay the extra $120 to get rid of those items. Later, I heard that my sister in law sold an old mattress and box spring on Craig’s List. It would have been much easier to sell the old mattress and box spring cheap on Craig’s List.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 06:42 AM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Wow! Thatís old school! Taking out an advertisement in the newspaper to sell stuff! My sister in law used Craigís List to sell a lot of stuff they could to squeeze some cash out of it before their last move and downsizing. Some of the items where only $10 items. My sister in law showed me how Craigís List worked, and itís really easy to sell stuff with Craigís List, and itís free..
KSL Classifieds is waaaaay more popular than Craigslist here. That said there were no takers in 24 hours so we will call Habitat for Humanity to come and pick it up.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:44 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,785,425 times
I contacted a cousin and ask if he wanted my parents' Green Bay Packer winter coats, as I'm moving to Florida. He's a big fan, even though he lives in Illinois, and I'd prefer they stay in the family instead of putting them on my garage sale or Craigslist. He was actually sad to hear that the last of my family was leaving the state. I told him there's nothing to keep me here, as, I AM the last of my family to be here!

Old 07-12-2018, 11:11 AM

1,090 posts, read 490,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I finally went through a large, very heavy box of pictures and cards that Iíve been holding in to. Now, one has to be in the right frame of mind to get rid of these because I can start getting sentimental and stroll down memory lane, but got through it! Still kept enough photos that Iím happy with keeping and got down to a much smaller, more manageable box. When I move Iím sure I wonít have as much storage as I have now so it was necessary. Now Iím in the process of shredding.
I did the same thing a few years ago, time to re-visit this. I pitched (recycled) birthday and holiday cards that just contained a signature. I generally kept anything that included a personalized note (beyond just "happy birthday!") and also kept all cards from my graduations, wedding, and son's birth. Everything else was pared down. Made a big dent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I'm going to donate my big KitchenAid stand mixer. It takes up so much room and we don't use it more than once a year anymore.
We've got some sort of KitchenAid mixer contraption taking up space in the kitchen, I'd like to get rid of it (the mixer, not the kitchen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Meant to add . . . one way I have downsized is getting rid of file folders full of travel information. I used to save (for years) magazine and newspaper articles plus travel brochures for future trips.

It is pretty outdated now and new info can be easily acquired. Kind of hurt but I dumped most of it in the recycling bin.
I'm still struggling with this, but I've gotten rid of a few maps/brochures from trips I've taken (not all the brochures contain useful/interesting info once the trip is done).

And finally... last week I threw out a bunch of ketchup/sauce packets accumulated from trips to fast food restaurants and takeout orders. I make an effort now to use those up quickly (i.e. not throw them in a drawer and hope they're still good a year later).

Old 07-12-2018, 01:57 PM
mlb

3,181 posts, read 2,856,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I contacted a cousin and ask if he wanted my parents' Green Bay Packer winter coats, as I'm moving to Florida. He's a big fan, even though he lives in Illinois, and I'd prefer they stay in the family instead of putting them on my garage sale or Craigslist. He was actually sad to hear that the last of my family was leaving the state. I told him there's nothing to keep me here, as, I AM the last of my family to be here!

There are Packer Fans EVERYWHERE

Old 07-12-2018, 02:57 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,295,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I too have a Green Bay Packer Parka and so when I leave I know my youngest son will take the jacket

Old 07-12-2018, 03:28 PM

3,694 posts, read 1,870,935 times
I threw out an old birdbath, a worn out pair of my husbands shoes.

Did purchase a new Kate Spade tote tho, so I guess that equals everything out.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:42 PM

6,999 posts, read 6,990,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

But then you can ďtoteĒ stuff to a new place!

Old 07-12-2018, 04:55 PM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

Love it!!

Old 07-16-2018, 09:11 AM

3,373 posts, read 3,785,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I too have a Green Bay Packer Parka and so when I leave I know my youngest son will take the jacket
My husband has now informed me I am NOT giving away "his" coat!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement