U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times

Advertisements

Threw out some stuff I had been carrying around in my car for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 AM

3,410 posts, read 1,524,633 times
I gave away some shoes I bought without trying on (Walmart) that were too narrow and never worn. It took me 2 years to work up to that. I guess I thought my feet might shrink...

Next big goal will be tossing some 10 year old spices. NOOOOO......
Actually, I'm still using them....

Old 07-19-2018, 11:35 AM

563 posts, read 265,846 times
I finally got rid of all the alcohol, not sure if it goes bad, some of it we've had 20 years. We had scotch, gin, brandy, etc....I don't drink and my husband had a drink once or twice a year. He can no longer have alcohol due to his meds. I put it all in a box and put it out for our weekly trash pickup this morning.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:45 AM

130 posts, read 46,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I finally got rid of all the alcohol, not sure if it goes bad, some of it we've had 20 years. We had scotch, gin, brandy, etc....I don't drink and my husband had a drink once or twice a year. He can no longer have alcohol due to his meds. I put it all in a box and put it out for our weekly trash pickup this morning.
Bacteria cannot grow in alcohol. The taste may not be the same but it would still be good.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:40 PM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:

At least some people will be having a party this weekend ...

We just give our trash guys cold water.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:12 PM

563 posts, read 265,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
At least some people will be having a party this weekend ...

We just give our trash guys cold water.
lol

It never occurred to me that anyone would actually take all that liquor but the 2 trash guys put it inside the truck. I would never dream of taking something like that someone threw out to consume.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:20 PM

23,545 posts, read 17,535,380 times
I took several very old electronic items to Best Buy at lunch. They offer free electronic waste recycling. I gave away a 3' tall, solid steel computer case. That's a good amount of space saved right there.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:12 PM

3,373 posts, read 3,781,976 times
I gave my father's accordion to my sister to ship back to California for her child. They want it, so I was more than happy to give it up. I forgot to ask her how much it cost to ship....that thing was HEAVY! She also took the garden stone Mom's man gave us at her funeral. That thing wasn't light either! I feel much lighter just having them both out of my basement.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:42 PM

480 posts, read 323,114 times
I told my boyfriend we had to get rid of some of our old stereo equipment - Four speakers (two mine, two his) plus a subwoofer. I kept telling him to just price them low to get rid of them... So he put an ad on Craigslist on Monday. I came home from work and he handed me $200 that he got just for my two speakers!! Turns out, they were evidently very good speakers (Pioneer, and I think I've had them for at least 30 years). He sold the subwoofer for $50; still hasn't sold the other two speakers.

We're sloooowwwwwly chipping away at all the accumulated junk, anticipating a move from Colorado to Arizona next spring.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
lol

It never occurred to me that anyone would actually take all that liquor but the 2 trash guys put it inside the truck. I would never dream of taking something like that someone threw out to consume.

When i help older people move into assisted living, the stash of alcohol is something that quite a few people are happy to receive. A lot of the better stuff is very pricy and a major step up from the cheap taquila that is prevalent in the RGV and Southern Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement