U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 02:29 PM

2,470 posts, read 2,108,937 times

Advertisements

Got rid of a whole stereo system and cabinet- a few place settings of china, numerous bags of clothing, excess flatware- excess coffee cups, sleeping bag, ceramic tile--------you name it. Had scheduled Viet Vets (been scheduling them every 2 or 3 weeks in anticipation of the move). They came and took EVERYTHING. Straw Baskets, you name it.
We truly are counting down to the move- and as much as I declutter and offer on freecycle regularly, I cannot believe how much stuff we still have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 AM

4,984 posts, read 3,473,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I gave my father's accordion to my sister to ship back to California for her child. They want it, so I was more than happy to give it up. I forgot to ask her how much it cost to ship....that thing was HEAVY! She also took the garden stone Mom's man gave us at her funeral. That thing wasn't light either! I feel much lighter just having them both out of my basement.
The grandkids were thrilled to receive anything of their grandmas things. It was the memories more than the items. I still have a wooden box my grandfather made for my grandmother to hold her crochet hooks. It's not fancy but you can feel the love he put into it.

Your niece/nephew will probably think of their grandfather every time they play the accordion. There's no price on memories.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Threw out about four cubic feet of pantry food, most of which was many years past its "Best by" date.

DH is a food hoarder. I made him prepare and eat one of his Annie Chun soup bowls last night, only about a year old.

It may not sound like much but I'm just getting started.
My brother is like that. His house burned down & when he built the new one he put in a gigantic pantry. He won't buy just a few items, he buys cases. I think it has something to do with your us growing up poor & then his losing everything in the fire. Not sure.

Of course, living in the country in Minnesota you do have to be prepared for winter storms.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:58 AM

6,338 posts, read 5,079,035 times
Gave my consignment person some more items and she gave me some cash!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:04 AM

369 posts, read 155,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
I finally got rid of all the alcohol, not sure if it goes bad, some of it we've had 20 years. We had scotch, gin, brandy, etc....I don't drink and my husband had a drink once or twice a year. He can no longer have alcohol due to his meds. I put it all in a box and put it out for our weekly trash pickup this morning.
Quite the opposite, it gets more desirable with age. 20 years on scotch plus it's original age is a rare and highly prized.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:47 AM

I'm going to upside rather than downsize this week. The closets here have so much wasted space so am looking into see through containers I can stack & put the things still in boxes away.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:04 AM

120 posts, read 59,311 times
I moved into my new place a week and a half ago, and while it is almost twice the size of my old place, I discarded lot of old belongings, including all my furniture. As I have been unpacking here, I'm still tossing things out, in hopes of a simpler existence.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:01 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,358,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I gave away some shoes I bought without trying on (Walmart) that were too narrow and never worn. It took me 2 years to work up to that. I guess I thought my feet might shrink...

Next big goal will be tossing some 10 year old spices. NOOOOO......
Actually, I'm still using them....
The old spices won't hurt you, but they might not have much flavor left in them.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:13 PM

23,819 posts, read 8,321,785 times
Ah, I gave away 2 more pieces of my artwork to a helper I had yesterday. She loved my work and I offered her 2 and she walked out with them. I have so many in my apt and when I'm gone I hope they don't end up in the recycle. So that is 5 canvases I've given away in the last couple yrs. Feels good. Makes me feel lighter and gives the receiver pleasure.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-25-2018 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 09:32 PM

14 posts, read 5,241 times
I have lost some of my momentum...but I have 2 bags of towels and blankets and bath mats to take to the animal shelter tomorrow...since I will be near there for an appointment.

If I have time, I will load a few things to drop at Goodwill too.

Saw an old friend in the grocery and got some very negative comments when I mentioned Goodwill.
I know the CEO makes a ton of money but if you Google it you will see they do a lot of good for people. It's not just the thrift stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement