U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 07:26 PM

2,207 posts, read 1,351,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by august moon View Post
I have lost some of my momentum...but I have 2 bags of towels and blankets and bath mats to take to the animal shelter tomorrow...since I will be near there for an appointment.

If I have time, I will load a few things to drop at Goodwill too.

Saw an old friend in the grocery and got some very negative comments when I mentioned Goodwill.
I know the CEO makes a ton of money but if you Google it you will see they do a lot of good for people. It's not just the thrift stores.

Goodwill now has an auction site.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 08:36 PM

8,992 posts, read 7,758,201 times
While not a downsize in some respects, I recently went on a two week vacation and my adult niece agreed to take care of my cat. Well it seems the two of them fell madly in love with each other so we are discussing re-homing my cat with her.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:32 AM

14 posts, read 5,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Goodwill now has an auction site.

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/

Ut-oh! I shouldn't be looking at that...things there that are too tempting...must resist!

Old 08-06-2018, 08:46 AM

401 posts, read 292,078 times
I am systematically scanning, shredding and giving away things that are not essential. Over the last few days, I attended a conference. I declined many offers of brochures and free things from exhibitors. Before I came home, I reviewed all of the literature and the trinkets. I left some in the hotel room, gave items away as soon as I got home to someone who happened to come by, and am left with VERY little to put to use. I feel good about that.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:06 AM

1,771 posts, read 571,378 times
I’m getting kind of bummed. My wife and I recently tore apart my old office/library. We’re both retired now so don’t need an office. Also, a lifetime of accumulated books has to go so we don’t need the 35 linear feet of floor to ceiling shelving. We have turned that room into a beautiful home theater with Dolby 7.1 surround sound. We do movies and TV series every evening.

Anyway, I’ve already given away all my science fiction books, about 650, to Purple Heart. I have a lot of old textbooks I guess I’ll just have to toss. My main problem is some rare/nice magazines (e.g. several years of Swiss publication “Camera”) that I would like to see go to a good place where someone would benefit. I looked and found out our local visual arts center has no library, probably everything is on the web now. I also have quite a nice collection of photographic books, both technical and artistic. I really hate to just dump a lot of this stuff but I’m getting weary and frustrated with the left over mess just sitting in the other room.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM

16,365 posts, read 10,352,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Iím getting kind of bummed. My wife and I recently tore apart my old office/library. Weíre both retired now so donít need an office. Also, a lifetime of accumulated books has to go so we donít need the 35 linear feet of floor to ceiling shelving. We have turned that room into a beautiful home theater with Dolby 7.1 surround sound. We do movies and TV series every evening.

Anyway, Iíve already given away all my science fiction books, about 650, to Purple Heart. I have a lot of old textbooks I guess Iíll just have to toss. My main problem is some rare/nice magazines (e.g. several years of Swiss publication ďCameraĒ) that I would like to see go to a good place where someone would benefit. I looked and found out our local visual arts center has no library, probably everything is on the web now. I also have quite a nice collection of photographic books, both technical and artistic. I really hate to just dump a lot of this stuff but Iím getting weary and frustrated with the left over mess just sitting in the other room.

you might try freecycle or craigslist.

probably a longshot but worth a try.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:34 AM

23,785 posts, read 8,294,729 times
Oh are we accumulators!!! Wonder if the rest of the world is like the Americans with so much stuff. When we cleaned out my parents home after they passed, it was ENOUGH but they were not terrible accumulators with books etc etc...I'm not a huge book collector and slowly throwing away the ones I don't want anymore, my interests are online anyway. Hopefully won't be too much to clean out when I go.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:09 AM

1,771 posts, read 571,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
you might try freecycle or craigslist.

probably a longshot but worth a try.
...forgot about freecycle....we do have it in our city. Thanks. I will keep it in mind now.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 AM

7,803 posts, read 4,397,312 times
I have gathered and photographed every item I have to sell (so far), named the photo, and identified at least three online sales site to which I can post them, but I just can't bring myself to have to dicker over prices and deal with people. Help!

Old 08-07-2018, 10:32 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,923,622 times
Well this past weekend

2 loads of non-kitchen trash taken away....

I moved here to a much smaller space, now getting rid of extras...much of it cardboard boxes....but still, feels good to clean out.

The less I have the better I feel....

tossed things from the basement that aren't used, broken items, old chair no one will take due to tears...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement