U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-07-2018, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Maryland
1,769 posts, read 569,578 times
Reputation: 3903

Advertisements

It’s tough to do. Many, many things sit around forgotten and then handling them brings back memories that I probably would not have remembered otherwise and I’m suddenly reluctant to part with them. Someone mentioned, similar to above, about photographing things that have attached memories but aren’t needed. I think I might try doing that with some things. I don’t like throwing away memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2018, 11:45 AM
 
653 posts, read 890,947 times
Reputation: 1538
Just today I emptied out two "under the bed" plastic containers FILLED with my adult children's high school t shirt collections. I saved about 6 or 7 of them (ones that had some special meaning) and put the rest in a big bag for the Vietnam Veterans pickup. The t shirts make good handy pajamas for the grandchildren when they stay over -- but there is no need for more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2018, 12:06 PM
 
6,321 posts, read 5,061,406 times
Reputation: 12838
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrannyBear View Post
Just today I emptied out two "under the bed" plastic containers FILLED with my adult children's high school t shirt collections. I saved about 6 or 7 of them (ones that had some special meaning) and put the rest in a big bag for the Vietnam Veterans pickup. The t shirts make good handy pajamas for the grandchildren when they stay over -- but there is no need for more than that.
I know a lady that makes quilts using people's favorite tee shirts. A way of keeping them and putting them to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Maryland
1,769 posts, read 569,578 times
Reputation: 3903
Well, just got rid of about 50 more hard cover books last night. They were a set in a small bookcase. An acquaintance that comes over about once a month for dinner and a movie is NOT a fan of the digital age, no smart phone, no internet, strictly a paper and ink guy. So it was nice to see them go to a good home; he was thrilled to have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 09:35 AM
 
381 posts, read 352,755 times
Reputation: 1984
I have just given away (Salvation Army) all of my air mattresses, extra blankets, extra folding chairs, and extra pillows. I live in a townhouse and all of my children have large homes for their growing families. I see "going to their house" for future holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 10:30 AM
Status: "I am Blessed." (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Spurs country. "Go, Spurs, Go!"
3,415 posts, read 3,970,488 times
Reputation: 8854
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I have gathered and photographed every item I have to sell (so far), named the photo, and identified at least three online sales site to which I can post them, but I just can't bring myself to have to dicker over prices and deal with people. Help!
Price the items at a price you want out of it and put firm. No dickering. Just don't be greedy, you want it gone. What would you pay to replace it at if you found it at an estate sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 4,393,390 times
Reputation: 11594
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
It’s tough to do. Many, many things sit around forgotten and then handling them brings back memories that I probably would not have remembered otherwise and I’m suddenly reluctant to part with them. Someone mentioned, similar to above, about photographing things that have attached memories but aren’t needed. I think I might try doing that with some things. I don’t like throwing away memories.
I think you make an excellent point. However irrational it seems to hang on to seemingly unnecessary items, if they evoke an otherwise-lost memory, they carry meaning. It truly does feel like throwing away a part of a loved one -- or even yourself -- to get rid of it. I wonder if the "taking photographs" strategy really works to fill that psychological need. Anyone actually tried it?

Last edited by otterhere; 08-09-2018 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,678 posts, read 4,719,031 times
Reputation: 28129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Well, just got rid of about 50 more hard cover books last night. They were a set in a small bookcase. An acquaintance that comes over about once a month for dinner and a movie is NOT a fan of the digital age, no smart phone, no internet, strictly a paper and ink guy. So it was nice to see them go to a good home; he was thrilled to have them.

I can relate.


I've burned out on reading things online. I'm buying books again, selectively. T.C. Boyle, Richard Russo, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 10:48 AM
 
7,802 posts, read 4,393,390 times
Reputation: 11594
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I can relate.


I've burned out on reading things online. I'm buying books again, selectively. T.C. Boyle, Richard Russo, etc.
My books are like old friends or part of the family (many handed down for generations). I could never part with them! I've just stopped adding to the collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 11:15 AM
 
2,462 posts, read 2,103,785 times
Reputation: 3605
And I never really got the book thing. am a big reader but mostly library user.
But that's not to say I don't have ridiculous amounts of photos and other stuff. (just not books so much).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top