U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 08:44 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,595,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I dropped off two boxes the other day to donation but I haven't been feeling well so no more has been sorted.
My next clean out though is going to be the pantries, I want to get things sent to the food pantry before the use by date has passed.
Hopefully tomorrow I will feel good enough to at least get that much done.
You might check with the food pantry and see what they say about use by dates. A year ago we had to clean out a relatives house who had been in a hospital/nursing home over five months before his death. He was a shopper so had shelves and shelves of canned goods. I was SHOCKED when I called a local food bank and was told they would take within six months of the used by dates on canned items. We still had to pitch a lot but when we showed up with the back of my SUV filled with boxes they asked what group did the collection. Uh, no group, just one person's home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:35 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
Choff, I hear you, I have got to stop filling my freezer and actually eating things

Old 04-22-2015, 03:15 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
awwwww {{{{{{{{MaryLee}}}}}}}.

If the dolls are clean bring them to the pediatric ward at the hospital, if they will take them.

If you have a print photo of your aunt who made the doll, prop the doll up on your mantle or somewhere homey and put the photo of your aunt in her lap, then take a photo of that and burn it to your hard drive.

JM2c.

Thanks, but the dolls are very old, dirty, have some evidence of mold, etc. Not at all suitable for donations.

I thught today to place them out in the sun and fresh air, at least get rid of that musty smell. I really do thnk I could sell the Barbie Dolls on Ebay, there are a lot of "naked" dolls" going for, maybe---$10--$12 eac. Hey,. its something.

The doll my aunt gave me, well, guess she comes along for another ride. I like he idea of taking a picture, along with a picture of my aunt. However, one still ends up with the original doll and WTD with it Its just one doll, not like I''ve turned into a hoarder keeping hundreds of dolls! Moving produces all kinds of unique stresses. f we can defer some of those stresses, there's nothing wrong with that. The doll brings back powerful emotions I'd just rather not deal with right now.

OTO, I have pitched many items just because of the emotions tied to them. Like that lady, I forget her name, something like Chouchan (sp), who said to go with your first emotion when you se an item. If it doesn't produce a feeling of happiness, get rid of it. Especially if it produces negative feelings, double reason to get rid of it! The problem is, we don't often look at such items, they get boxed up and stored away until a situation, such as moving, unearths them. Then, usually, we are in the middle of another situation that is more time-critical, so we shove whatever back into the box to defer until later.

A solution I am trying to employ---flag such items as to be sorted later. I am taking pictures, then labeling the box, in my case, with some large decals, whatever works. Then, put to one side, and put in and go through when I have the time and emotional capability.

I think the whole idea of moving is to stay centered on the goal---we must be out of here by ----- date. Moving and downsizing go hand-in-hand, of course, but we must decide our priorities.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:18 PM

35,109 posts, read 40,202,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
You might check with the food pantry and see what they say about use by dates. A year ago we had to clean out a relatives house who had been in a hospital/nursing home over five months before his death. He was a shopper so had shelves and shelves of canned goods. I was SHOCKED when I called a local food bank and was told they would take within six months of the used by dates on canned items. We still had to pitch a lot but when we showed up with the back of my SUV filled with boxes they asked what group did the collection. Uh, no group, just one person's home.
No canned items unfortunately, just flour I haven't used but it is unopened and in airtight containers, some V8 juice in cans, some bottles of different barbecue sauce we won't use, a few cans of diced tomatoes, chicken noodle soup and tomato soup.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:40 AM

MaryLee, try throwing the dolls in the washer on the gentle cycle with a little detergent and bleash. Let them soak for half a day, then let the washer run through. If they are that bad it can't hurt them any more than they already are.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 957,877 times
I got a computer armoire totally cleared out of all the office supplies and either tossed them or put in a box for Goodwill. I had to leave the printer/fax machine in it til I get a shelf for the media stand the TV is on to put that in it. Now, I will post the armoire on Craigslist for FREE and someone can make good use of it and I don't have to move it out. It is a win:win foo me!
Next up, more 'stuff' like a stroller and pack n play get rid of this weekend and work on cleaning out family pics and my sons 'stuff' from when he was in Elementary School (20+ yrs) as he doesn't want me to keep any of it for him or his next generation. This will be the 'hard stuff' to get rid of for me.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:58 PM

Aaaaawwww, mooks, the son stuff will be tough. Just remember what a great guy you turned him into.

I repacked a set of fenders we will be taking so they are move ready, not falling out of the crappy box they came in. It's not much, but it's something.

Oh, actually, I did do something important; I drove up to the barn and removed the battery out of the Benz I'm hoping to sell. The thing weighs a ton. So now I have it ready to go get a new one and since I will have the old one, no core charge!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:07 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,225,721 times
I can't downsize anymore - or I'd be sitting and sleeping on the floor

Old 04-23-2015, 05:20 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,595,656 times
This so reminds me of where I was a year ago, downsizing and trying to get our house on the market. We survived, but still have piles here at our new place. The one fallacy I'm beginning to realize is eBay is not a sure thing much less quick. When we moved stuff in I jokingly referred to one pile as our eBay pile as I knew what was in it I want to get rid of on eBay. Still haven't made it to the bottom of that pile and now have no idea what is in the bottom of it. DH is having the most success on eBay with coins and old mint in package matchbox cars. No one wants my stuff.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:44 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
When I was getting ready to move I got a small dumpster delivered and cleaned the place out.
Nothing was coming with me to "sort out later" because we all know that later never comes.

I was 15 years in that place and lots of crap got stored in the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement