U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 06:36 PM

381 posts, read 352,235 times

Advertisements

You got it right, Happy Texan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:36 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,623,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentraveler View Post
MaryleeII talked about her "good" Lenox china. I thought about my good china too. What am I saving it for? Well, I decided to take my china with me when we downsize. I got it for a wedding gift, so we're talking almost 43 years ago. But it's still beautiful and I still love it as much as the day we got it. I always used it for special dinners and "saved" it for holidays. So it was used only two or three times a year. Under-used! We'll, I decided not to use it only for special occasions, but to use it every day. Yes, it will become my set of everyday dishes. We will enjoy it for as many years as we can in our golden years. Heck, I might even put it in the DW!
The only caveat for putting fine china in the dishwasher is making sure any metallic rims (like silver or gold) don't touch each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Do you use your own shredder? Or take them somewhere to be shredded?

We have 2 shredders, and use them routinely, but we're running out of time that could be better spent on other tasks. Right now I have a 2x2x2 box almost full of papers to be shredded. The sheer volume alone overshelms my home shredders. I find myself emptying the hopper every 2-3 minutes

Anyone use a paper shredder service? I can't fine one that's just a one-time service. Seems they all want to set up on a recurring basis.
UPS stores do shredding for 79 cents a pound.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:52 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,522,564 times
Quote:
Do you use your own shredder? Or take them somewhere to be shredded?

We have 2 shredders, and use them routinely, but we're running out of time that could be better spent on other tasks. Right now I have a 2x2x2 box almost full of papers to be shredded. The sheer volume alone overshelms my home shredders. I find myself emptying the hopper every 2-3 minutes

Anyone use a paper shredder service? I can't fine one that's just a one-time service. Seems they all want to set up on a recurring basis.
Our local office supply store offers a shredding "service". But, they don't take your papers and shred them while you wait. They take your box of papers, and promise to send them somewhere to be shredded.

WHAT ?!?!?!? Does anyone else see the huge, gaping security issue with this? I'm going to give a box of papers, which are evidently important since they need to be shredded, to some clerk in the office supply store whom I don't even know. And he's going to send my box of papers deities know where. No, thanks! (And even more appalling - they have the nerve to charge money for this alleged "service".)

Our credit union sets up their corporate shredder in their parking lot every few weeks, and you can bring them boxes of papers to shred right in front of you while you watch. *That* is the way to do a shredding service!

Old 04-24-2015, 12:10 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
I just burn my papers. Then take the ashes and toss in the compost pile.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:38 PM

174 posts, read 187,625 times
We will be putting our house on the market in about 10 months, so it appears that we'll have plenty of time to clean out this place. But, I spent nearly 9 hours cleaning only one 6 foot closet. So, IMO, you can never start too early. I try to do one closet every 5 or 6 days and alternate between closets and the basement. The memorabilia and the "paper" letters and photos are difficult to deal with and very time consuming. I bring my camera down to the basement along with a box of tissue. I cry, I take a photo and then I pack. We are moving from 3000 sq ft to probably about a 2000 sq ft.home. (Not exactly what community yet). For items that are difficult to part with, I ask myself "Why am I keeping it?", "Where will I store it?" and "Will I ever open up the box to look at it, or will my kids have to dispose of it when I'm gone?" If I'm brutally honest with myself, I know the answers to these questions and then I dispose of the item. I am motivated by knowing that we will not be burdened by all of the things we have accumulated over the past 42 years. We enjoyed the things we have and the people who spent time with us. Now we are looking forward to a new life that is less stressful and not encumbered by "stuff" that we really don't need. This forum has been a tremendous help to me. Thanks to LostRoses about the china/dishwasher tip. And best wishes to MaryleeII as you approach your moving day.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:39 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I just burn my papers. Then take the ashes and toss in the compost pile.
Your memoirs in the compost pile?

Old 04-24-2015, 04:09 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Your memoirs in the compost pile?
LOL..hardly as I hate writing stories

Old 04-26-2015, 08:36 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Quote:
I just wonder---do people in other countries accumulate as much clutter as we do?

I knew a lot of people in Mexico at one time. Their homes never seemed overwhelmed with clutter. However it might have been just those I saw. The European homes I was familiar with did not seem overstuffed, either.

Perhaps shopping is not a pastime in other countries, like it is here? Perhaps people simply don't have the money for extras? Perhaps the average dwelling is smaller, lacking storage space, so you either use it or lose it?

Just wondering----

I also wonder if hoarding is as prevalent in other countries as it is here? What do they think of us when they see shows such as Hoarders?
German houses can be deceiving in that there is often both attic and basement...

Seasonal items disappear until they are needed... winter clothes, summer sporting goods... etc.

Remember... many lost everything and started over with nothing.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:13 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
Hugs goldentraveler {{{{{}}}}} sorry for the tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PANiveIKVX0

HTH :heart:

Old 04-26-2015, 04:45 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Sold a portable sewing machine (I have another one) and potted up a heavy plant to bring to the exchange station. Otherwise, I'm not making much progress. We have to pay big bucks to haul away the deck lumber. When that's gone will look to the garage and basement (not my territory!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement