U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2015, 12:37 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times

Advertisements

I've been folllowing this thread and don't recall anyone mentioning the Marie Kondo's bestseller The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. Over 2000+ reviews on amazon, with an overall 4.5 star rating.

I'm currently reading it and it's quite the eye-opener, a must-read for anyone seriously trying to downsize.
DH & I have been "pretty good" through the years at preventing clutter and we've never really let "stuff" overtake us. Still, I think Kondo's approach is going to transform us and get us finally to that place where we'll be done and never have to do it again.

For those dealing with spouses and other family members who won't get onboard the decluttering train, she's got much to say about how to deal with that common problem.
We're traveling now or we would immediately get to work using her process. We'll probably start the day after we get home, can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 12:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I look at this thread for inspiration. Our move to retirement is down the road, but the thought of going through the STUFF we have, is just overwhelming to me. It's hard to explain- it's a big house with lots of storage, and I do "cull" regularly. However, there are still plenty of memory things- kids growing up- thinking about saving and holding on to treasured books etc.

Today, it's not much BUT I am happy to say I got my husband to join me in going through a bunch of boxes and bags we had in our basement- got rid of a big trash bag full of throw away stuff, and got an equally big bag of donation stuff (lots of working but outdated electronics, office supplies, you name it) ready to donate with my next pick up.
I do regularly accumulate clothing, linens, housewares to donate. When I get one of the emails or phone calls from Viet Vets, Lupus Foundation, whatever, I leave the stuff out on our front steps and they pick it up. It's a great convenience.
I have so much more to do, but I am delighted that we did this much.
We're about parallel with you, lol. This morning I got the old man out to the garage, bribing him with dinner out on me. He filled the back of our SUV with stuff he brought to the dump. I included one heavy houseplant (how many philodendron do we need). He's gone right now and I have plastic containers I'm going to sort his nails and nuts and bolts into. If I work fast, they'll be sorted by the time he gets back. He won't mind this as long as I throw nothing away (other than empty packaging). This is just the garage, mind you. I don't have the courage to look at the tools in the cellar. I'll have to come up with a trip to Maine to get him to go into that area of the house.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:38 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I've been folllowing this thread and don't recall anyone mentioning the Marie Kondo's bestseller The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing. Over 2000+ reviews on amazon, with an overall 4.5 star rating.

I'm currently reading it and it's quite the eye-opener, a must-read for anyone seriously trying to downsize.
DH & I have been "pretty good" through the years at preventing clutter and we've never really let "stuff" overtake us. Still, I think Kondo's approach is going to transform us and get us finally to that place where we'll be done and never have to do it again.

For those dealing with spouses and other family members who won't get onboard the decluttering train, she's got much to say about how to deal with that common problem.
We're traveling now or we would immediately get to work using her process. We'll probably start the day after we get home, can't wait!
Here's a website chock full of stuff.
Decluttering is just one topic.

Start Here : zen habits

Archives of articles going back to 2007:
Archives : zen habits

Old 05-02-2015, 06:15 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here's a website chock full of stuff.
Decluttering is just one topic.

Start Here : zen habits

Archives of articles going back to 2007:
Archives : zen habits
Marie Kondo's background is Shinto, not Zen. She alludes to Shinto philosophy in her book but it's a concrete step-by-step how-to guide that focuses entirely on decluttering and downsizing.
She calls her method KonMari and it can be googled.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:29 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
I pulled down another half dozen boxes out the attic, which has been renamed Treasure Island, yesterday. Lo and behold, there was the box filled with the old bottles that used to adorn my kitchen windowsill. Off to the consign lady they go.

Trashed some old auto manuals that won't sell and listed the rest on ebay.

Started another box for the consign lady with some more Fenton milk glass that is just as easy to give to her than list. More knick knacks in there, too.

Did that for three hours then realized it was waaay past dinner time for the horses, so I closed up the attic and proceeded as normal from there on out last evening. Needless to say I didn't make the end of the 8 o'clock movie and hit the hay.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:36 PM

35,109 posts, read 40,202,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post

Thank you for this, I will be looking into it for Mr. CSD.
However, I must admit 2 days ago I did nothing to "downsize", I upsized with 2 pieces of furniture.
One is an antique sewing desk, the other is a smaller television cart that I will be using in my sewing room.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:54 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
I got the hardware and nails sorted in the garage, into little containers I bought at the dollar store. What a thankless job. I found HUNDREDS of nails and screws scattered in different places, so this was a labor of love. He had grudgingly said I could do it but then started griping about how now he won't be able to find anything. I also took someone's suggestion and ventured into the cellar and pulled aside a huge pile of non-usuables (old light fixtures, nonworking electronics, empty buckets and packaging everywhere , old garden hoses,etc etc. I will show him the pile but I'll bet anything he'll start pulling things out one by one claiming he's going to need it some day. I have to think of another bribe. Expensive dinner out last week worked.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:14 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
negirl, tell him you have a friend in NY with ten acres and a backhoe, trust me they will never find the body..........just kidding, of course.......

That was a lot of work! We have one of those construction magnets on an adjustable handle, you sweep surfaces like with a Swiffer and it grabs them all up. Home Depot, 14.99 IIRC.

Why show him the pile? Hide it and se if he notices! I love doing crap like that to DH. Once I painted our entire bedroom from chocolate brown to boring taupe, I had to finally TELL him after fifteen minutes. And the damn paint can was sitting on the dresser, I literally finished the job as he was rolling into the driveway.......

Old 05-03-2015, 05:21 PM

1,983 posts, read 2,632,731 times
Finally took pictures of my leather sofa and emailed them to the furniture consignment store. The sofa is in very good condition so I'm hoping to sell it through consignment. If not, Goodwill it is!

Old 05-03-2015, 05:28 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,829,163 times
I rented an airplane for 3 hours and flew up and down the coast. All the people,cars and boats looked so much smaller... Downsized!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement