U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 03:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times

Advertisements

Experiencing a bit of jealousy today. A couple who we're somewhat close to (5 years older than us) sold their big house and are moving into a really nice 55+ condo community next to everything...college, stores, parks, etc. I know we're not ready for an apt or condo yet, but still it's the simplicity that's so appealing. I do wonder what it's like to have people living on the other side of your walls on either side, and above and/or below you. They are laid-back people so they'll probably be fine. They're enthusiastic about the move away from large house and large grounds, with time now to do all sorts of things they've always wanted to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 12:38 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Well... I thought I was doing good... have 6 hospital gurneys in storage and I offered them to a non-profit... they sent someone out and said it would cost too much to move them to Mexico???
Attached Thumbnails
What did you do to downsize today?-styker-00p0p_8cubuhjdhzw_600x450.jpg  

Old 05-07-2015, 07:10 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
negirl you can follow your friends as they journey into condo life. Go visit! Or help them move.....you will get a chance to see what it's like!

Geez, ultra, how much could it cost to get a pickup truck or two into Mexico?

Wondering why you have six gurneys in storage! This should be a good one

Pulled down a big box of glassware and got it up for sale yesterday.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:25 AM

Hospital Engineer/Biomed... 24 years and counting.

Last August we reconfigured for a new imaging center and these 6 gurneys needed a home on short notice and I had space a few blocks from the Hospital offered in a pinch thinking it would be 6 weeks at the most.

The new center has been up and running since January and my Administrator decided the Hospital has no need for them... the MRI suite requires special stretchers that are non-magnetic and expensive!

Wasted time with Craigslist and a medical site... shipping for a single stretcher can easily be more than the asking price and those that responded wanted a warranty... we paid $4,000+ when they were bought new... had them listed for $350 as-is...

Reading this thread motivated me to starting clearing and downsizing... I have accumulated a lot of cast-offs over the years and I decided to start with these because my tenant wants to rent the garage where I have these stored for $100 a month.

Maybe next month I can get rid of a cryogenic freezer and then a hoyer lift, etc.... I can see a trend starting!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Pulled down a big box of glassware and got it up for sale yesterday.
How downsized are you now, in prep for your upcoming move? You sound so calm. I would be freaking out.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:43 PM

16,336 posts, read 10,327,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Hospital Engineer/Biomed... 24 years and counting.

Last August we reconfigured for a new imaging center and these 6 gurneys needed a home on short notice and I had space a few blocks from the Hospital offered in a pinch thinking it would be 6 weeks at the most.

The new center has been up and running since January and my Administrator decided the Hospital has no need for them... the MRI suite requires special stretchers that are non-magnetic and expensive!

Wasted time with Craigslist and a medical site... shipping for a single stretcher can easily be more than the asking price and those that responded wanted a warranty... we paid $4,000+ when they were bought new... had them listed for $350 as-is...

Reading this thread motivated me to starting clearing and downsizing... I have accumulated a lot of cast-offs over the years and I decided to start with these because my tenant wants to rent the garage where I have these stored for $100 a month.

Maybe next month I can get rid of a cryogenic freezer and then a hoyer lift, etc.... I can see a trend starting!
anything medical, wonder if Drs Without Borders would take. You might even try putting an ad on the CD forum. There is one-way at the bottom.

I got rid of a whole box of fabric I will never use.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:15 PM

Biggest obstacles are with large bulky items... smaller medical equipment and supplies not so much.

I have several operating room tables that I would like to get rid of... much smarter on these and they remain at the Hospital taking up space.

Medical equipment often costs a fortune new... and worth very little second hand because it obsoletes quickly to the point of being worthless... especially after manufacturer support ends.

I've got a 100k laser that was the end all and be all in the 80's... I just keep it because I can appreciate the precision with which it was crafted... makes a great tool for wood burning projects!

My problems are... I hate waste... I know how much was paid for a lot of this stuff and hate to just toss into the dumpster or send it to the metal recycler... often it works just a well as the day it was bought... just technology continues to advance...

Can't count the number of times I have saved the bacon because I had parts for instruments no longer made...

My old cars and tractors have long been obsolete and since they do not have electronics... I'm sure they will outlive me!

Old 05-07-2015, 05:39 PM

16,336 posts, read 10,327,920 times
I would've liked one of those OR tables when I had my greenhouse. Had lots and lots of plants.

i hate waste too. And clutter. Sometimes you have to choose.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:19 PM

This Saturday to the transfer station, with another bribe:

- One Portacrib (keeping one for possible future grandchild)
- One heavy twin stoller (we have lightweight foldable strollers now)
- Three metal clothes drying racks (replaced them with new lightweight wooden ones)
- Light fixtures and yes, some empty joint compound tubs (he can keep three for the end-times to collect rain water, lol)
- 2 old lawn chairs
- and 2 bags trash from the basement, which no doubt "he" will go through and start digging things out

Making progress...

Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,225,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Well... I thought I was doing good... have 6 hospital gurneys in storage and I offered them to a non-profit... they sent someone out and said it would cost too much to move them to Mexico???
Call another one. Or a church.
Once a month, my nephew takes a truckload of donations from his church to an orphanage in Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement