U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times

Advertisements

Will keep trying... now that I've started Spring Cleaning...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 03:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
So.....I ventured into the backyard shed to pull out the lawnmower.

I spent an hour cleaning it out. The stuff that I want to get rid of is now sitting on the grass in front of the shed. Tomorrow is dump day. Our neighbors will be hearing some heated discussion about that stuff: FOUR empty joint compound buckets (they were just a few from in the cellar, he hid them in the shed), 7 or 8 pails that look like from an archaeological dig, ripped tarps, shovels with no handles, handles with no shovels that don't match anything, and, I'm afraid to say, some hazardous waste (nearly empty cans of volatiles like paint, changed car oil, etc). I had a fit when I saw those and pulled them out into the shade. The problem is, our "hazardous waste" day at the dump is not till Sept, and I do not want this stuff hanging around all summer, it's flammable. I don't know what do do about this. What if we were moving and needed to discard these things now?

Old 05-08-2015, 03:35 PM

My military friends had to relocate on short notice...

I told them to box up all of their chemicals and paints and I would take care of it... not really a big deal since a few things were usable and all the rest was disposed of on the once a year collection day.

Glad I could help...

Remember not to sweat the the small stuff... life is too short to worry about empty plastic buckets.

Another neighbor came knocking on my door late one stormy night... the wind had damaged their roof and water was coming in... I had a stack of clean 5 gallon buckets to give them... I get them all the time at work and folks are always asking for them.

Shovels and other implements with broken or no handles... my farmer grandfather would spend cold winter days in his shop making furniture and repairing tools... when they visited, he put new handles to two shovels a couple of garden towels, rake and ax...

Sure... anyone can run down to Home Depot and buy a made in China knock off... older American made implements are often forged steel... not cast... and it's a tribute to the quality of material as demonstrated by longevity...

My best pick/mattock is made in USA forged by Plumb tool works for WWII... there is a knock-off that breaks easily from China...

Old 05-08-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My military friends had to relocate on short notice...

I told them to box up all of their chemicals and paints and I would take care of it... not really a big deal since a few things were usable and all the rest was disposed of on the once a year collection day.

Glad I could help...

Remember not to sweat the the small stuff... life is too short to worry about empty plastic buckets.

Another neighbor came knocking on my door late one stormy night... the wind had damaged their roof and water was coming in... I had a stack of clean 5 gallon buckets to give them... I get them all the time at work and folks are always asking for them.

Shovels and other implements with broken or no handles... my farmer grandfather would spend cold winter days in his shop making furniture and repairing tools... when they visited, he put new handles to two shovels a couple of garden towels, rake and ax...

Sure... anyone can run down to Home Depot and buy a made in China knock off... older American made implements are often forged steel... not cast... and it's a tribute to the quality of material as demonstrated by longevity...

My best pick/mattock is made in USA forged by Plumb tool works for WWII... there is a knock-off that breaks easily from China...
IF dh would take care of and mend his tools, I'd have no problem keeping them. And IF he ever used even one of those 17 or so buckets, same thing. I'm starting to think we're on two very different pages...I'm looking toward the small house with no yard and no renovations. I think he's envisioning renovating Rome. WHY is it that (men? I hesitate to say it out loud) must hold onto stuff they "may use some day" and never do?

Old 05-08-2015, 05:04 PM

16,337 posts, read 10,327,920 times
I don't think it's just men that do that.

Put the buckets out by the road with a big 'free' sign in front. I'd give them maybe 6 hrs to disappear.

Take the oil to a garage (the kind that does oil changes) and ask if they'll take it. Explain the situation. Never hurts to ask.

Sounds like you're accomplishing a lot, neg.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:05 PM

Part of the be prepared and protect I would say...

Motor oil sounds like he is a do it yourself kind of guy and frugal too.

Part of my job is disaster preparedness at the Hospital... we stock all kinds of supplies from medical, food rations and even Diesel Fuel with spare parts... many I hope to NEVER use... and yes... I have about 25 five empty gallon buckets with lids.

It almost sounds like you two may not be as close as you once were... not said to be disrespectful.

People grow, priorities change and life goes on... either be adjusting or parting ways...

On a side note... found a home for my Gurneys... they are on schedule to be picked up next week and the organization is very happy to have them... they support local clinics as well as send full containers of medical supplies overseas... sounds like a win/win.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It almost sounds like you two may not be as close as you once were... not said to be disrespectful.
We were never close when it comes to possessions and how to care for them, lol. And, believe it or not, we're closer than we've ever been on other levels (together 47 yrs). Age has done well for us, we have a lot more sympathy and empathy for each other....for most things.

Now tonight, I treated him to dinner again, after he loaded the SUV with all the stuff for the dump without too many grumbles. He finally said he didn't mind getting rid of the crap, but that my timing was way off (it usually is), since he's trying to concentrate on the new deck. Mea culpa. I need to lay off for the rest of the summer, which I've vowed to do. Our next downsize will be in Oct, when all the lumber he hasn't used will either go to our builder son or maybe Habitat for Humanity, if they'd want it.

I think I'm so driven about downsizing b/c we've moved halfway cross country and back twice in my 20s and 40s, the second time with four kids. Stuff, stuff stuff. And I've emptied out three houses of elders in my 40s and 50s/60s....house, attic, basement, garage. And we moved three times since we've been back East. Stuff, stuff, stuff. I'd say I rather deserve be driven, as I'm plumb worn out and don't want to do a huge downsize in 4 years at 70. This is it!

Old 05-08-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
You might even try putting an ad on the CD forum. There is one-way at the bottom.
How and where do you put a for-sale ad on CD? What does your final sentence mean?

Old 05-08-2015, 07:02 PM

16,337 posts, read 10,327,920 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/classified-ads/

I meant it's the last forum the list of forums.

Sorry I didn't explain it better.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We were never close when it comes to possessions and how to care for them, lol. And, believe it or not, we're closer than we've ever been on other levels (together 47 yrs). Age has done well for us, we have a lot more sympathy and empathy for each other....for most things.
You put my fears to rest... you are obviously on the right track if you are closer today

I've seen my share of couples that have been together for decades... through the kids, in-laws, grandkids... etc. only to have their golden years become one battle or skirmish after another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement