U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 PM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Well... I thought I was doing good... have 6 hospital gurneys in storage and I offered them to a non-profit... they sent someone out and said it would cost too much to move them to Mexico???
May I ask why you have a collection of hospital gurneys? Are you a mortician? Sorry if I seem nosy, but that is an odd item to have......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 09:12 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
No... 24 years as Director of Engineering for a local Hospital.

Last August we repurposed a wing for a new imaging center and the contractor had the opportunity to start several weeks earlier than scheduled... so at noon I get the word demolition starts at 6 am in the morning and needed to clear the area that afternoon... was able to place everything except for the gurneys... told the boss I had a empty garage a few blocks away at a rental I manage and quickly moved them there "Temporarily" 9 months ago just to help out.

Last week I reminded the Administrator I still had the gurneys and now have a tenant wanting to rent the garage for $100 per month... or the Hospital could start paying me a $100 per month... she said dispose of them...

Never thought of a mortician... maybe I missed an opportunity to recover some storage fees.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
No... 24 years as Director of Engineering for a local Hospital.

Last August we repurposed a wing for a new imaging center and the contractor had the opportunity to start several weeks earlier than scheduled... so at noon I get the word demolition starts at 6 am in the morning and needed to clear the area that afternoon... was able to place everything except for the gurneys... told the boss I had a empty garage a few blocks away at a rental I manage and quickly moved them there "Temporarily" 9 months ago just to help out.

Last week I reminded the Administrator I still had the gurneys and now have a tenant wanting to rent the garage for $100 per month... or the Hospital could start paying me a $100 per month... she said dispose of them...

Never thought of a mortician... maybe I missed an opportunity to recover some storage fees.
Massage parlor?

Old 05-09-2015, 04:35 PM

Lots of good ideas...

A local non-profit is scheduled to pick them up next week... they could stay local or be packed in shipping containers to anywhere in the world...

medshare.org

Next item most likely will be a 1976 BMW 2002 series sedan... runs great... no rust... interior shot.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:57 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
How downsized are you now, in prep for your upcoming move? You sound so calm. I would be freaking out.
negirl, I started selling when my dad passed in Sept. 2012. We knew we were going to FL to be close to mom. I've made at least a thirty percent dent in the attic. Sold off or donated my Corelle/Pyrex collection-all twenty totes worth. Sold my Fenton milk glass collection, it's less than half of what it was. Plus sold all of the high line clothes that my mom shipped to me after he died AND her nice stuff because she lost weight.

Quote:
So.....I ventured into the backyard shed to pull out the lawnmower.

I spent an hour cleaning it out. The stuff that I want to get rid of is now sitting on the grass in front of the shed. Tomorrow is dump day. Our neighbors will be hearing some heated discussion about that stuff: FOUR empty joint compound buckets (they were just a few from in the cellar, he hid them in the shed), 7 or 8 pails that look like from an archaeological dig, ripped tarps, shovels with no handles, handles with no shovels that don't match anything, and, I'm afraid to say, some hazardous waste (nearly empty cans of volatiles like paint, changed car oil, etc). I had a fit when I saw those and pulled them out into the shade. The problem is, our "hazardous waste" day at the dump is not till Sept, and I do not want this stuff hanging around all summer, it's flammable. I don't know what do do about this. What if we were moving and needed to discard these things now?
Car oil will be gladly taken at any garage, especially if they have a waste oil heater.

If you open the paint cans and let it dry solid will they still take them at the dump?

Quote:
Part of the be prepared and protect I would say...

Motor oil sounds like he is a do it yourself kind of guy and frugal too.

Part of my job is disaster preparedness at the Hospital... we stock all kinds of supplies from medical, food rations and even Diesel Fuel with spare parts... many I hope to NEVER use... and yes... I have about 25 five empty gallon buckets with lids.

It almost sounds like you two may not be as close as you once were... not said to be disrespectful.

People grow, priorities change and life goes on... either be adjusting or parting ways...

On a side note... found a home for my Gurneys... they are on schedule to be picked up next week and the organization is very happy to have them... they support local clinics as well as send full containers of medical supplies overseas... sounds like a win/win.
Whew, that's awesome about the gurneys.

Quote:
We were never close when it comes to possessions and how to care for them, lol. And, believe it or not, we're closer than we've ever been on other levels (together 47 yrs). Age has done well for us, we have a lot more sympathy and empathy for each other....for most things.

Now tonight, I treated him to dinner again, after he loaded the SUV with all the stuff for the dump without too many grumbles. He finally said he didn't mind getting rid of the crap, but that my timing was way off (it usually is), since he's trying to concentrate on the new deck. Mea culpa. I need to lay off for the rest of the summer, which I've vowed to do. Our next downsize will be in Oct, when all the lumber he hasn't used will either go to our builder son or maybe Habitat for Humanity, if they'd want it.

I think I'm so driven about downsizing b/c we've moved halfway cross country and back twice in my 20s and 40s, the second time with four kids. Stuff, stuff stuff. And I've emptied out three houses of elders in my 40s and 50s/60s....house, attic, basement, garage. And we moved three times since we've been back East. Stuff, stuff, stuff. I'd say I rather deserve be driven, as I'm plumb worn out and don't want to do a huge downsize in 4 years at 70. This is it!
negirl, maybe you can get a load together once a week and have him approve it before go out to dinner bribe night? If you get into a routine it may make it easier.

Quote:
Massage parlor?

Quote:
Lots of good ideas...

A local non-profit is scheduled to pick them up next week... they could stay local or be packed in shipping containers to anywhere in the world...

medshare.org

Next item most likely will be a 1976 BMW 2002 series sedan... runs great... no rust... interior shot.
OMG those 2002's are really sought after. UR where are you (sorry if asked and answered)?

1976 BMW 2002 in Cincinnati, OH

Today I washed the Bismarck. made the for sale signs, took photos and put her on craigslist. It was easy!

Old 05-09-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG those 2002's are really sought after. UR where are you (sorry if asked and answered)?

1976 BMW 2002 in Cincinnati, OH

Today I washed the Bismarck. made the for sale signs, took photos and put her on craigslist. It was easy!
Why California... of course... actually I am a West Coast person... between Oakland CA and Olympia WA... car is located in Oakland.

Too bad for me the 2002 BMW is a 1976... if it were 1975 or older I would really have something here... 1976 and newer is subject to inspection/smog and pre is exempt... it's the same with my 1976 Triumph Spitfire Roadster... was not always this way... 30 years old and exempt... but California changed the law ;-(

Is Bismarck a horse???

Old 05-09-2015, 05:19 PM

The Bismarck is the famous German boat that sank.........

1986 560 SEL runs and drives

Old 05-09-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
The Bismarck is the famous German boat that sank.........

1986 560 SEL runs and drives
That is a big Mercedes... my brother is on his second... had it for many years... a 1984 300 turbo Diesel and he still has people asking to buy it... over 300k miles... original drivetrain... they are popular for vegetable oil conversions.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:29 PM

They are hard to find, too! Used parts are nonexistent.

I know a few German salvage yards out your way, but if it runs and drives that would be a travesty........

Old 05-17-2015, 12:33 PM

Sold some more stuff on fleabay, another box out the door.

Took DH on a short road trip, the next town over is having their annual town wide garage sale. We were on the road for about two hours. Didn't buy anything but it was huge to get him out, he hasn't left the house, save for two days up in the shop, for six weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement