U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 11:11 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Today is "nuke the kitchen" day!

We are going through all cupboards, etc, and getting rid of old stuff, duplicates, stuff I've never used---like a rice cooker, was a gift, I HATE rice!---getting ready for our garage sale next weekend. I've found cooking utensils go, for the right price. Price it to move it, not to make any profit....

Now the kitchen is easier than sentimental stuff, like Grandma's cookie jars.....

my suggestion, break up the sorting. You can only sort and sift through the sentimental stuff so long before your emotions start getting to you. then, go to something with no emotional attachment, like old kitchen stuff, garage stuff, etc.
Downsizers, beware tag sales! I'm a sucker for them (well I'm doing a 12-step program now, step one being to put horse blinders on ). Now when I see a Santa cookie jar, it's not for me, it's for the grandkids, and if I find it in April I have to store it till Dec. Good luck with the sale; glad I don't live near you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 11:13 AM

9,676 posts, read 15,852,351 times
Well, guess what I found in the garage today? Stuff from the last move, never opened! At least it was labeled, so I don't have to unwrap it to see what it is! I painstakingly wrapped my mother's stemware, which hasn't been used since she passed, over 20 years ago! Leave it wrapped, and take it to Goodwill, make sure to label fragile, I don't want to look at it again and stir up memories, I've locked Mom away in my heart, I don't need her stuff now, I don't entertain like she did and don't plan on starting it! am keeping one glass as a memento, let my kids figure out wtd with it, they don't need 50+

Old 04-04-2015, 11:18 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,841 times
For those with nice china, crystal, etc, have you considered selling the sets to one of those replacements websites? I've looked into it but the shipping charges TO them seems to cancel out anything you might get for your stuff. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with one of those companies.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:32 AM

Also, I found "wall art" stored in the garage from the last move, still in boxes

Ok, now, the reason we never used them was, this is a rental home. although we planned to buy the home, until it was ours, we didn't want to put holes in the walls we would have to repair later. The dictum "if you haven't used it in a year, you don't need it, ditch it" doesn't always apply!

Fortunately, I took pictures of the pictures, and attached them to the boxes, so I know what's in there. They are worth keeping until we have our own place, and really don't take up too much room.

Sounds like I'm slowing down? Hmmm........the whole point is not to simply get rid of everything, but to do selective pruning of items that are simply taking up space and holding you back......

We have a storage unit. We are packing items we wish to keep, and take pictures as we pack. We will do one last sort via pictures and see if they are worth keeping, if so, we will put them in the storage unit first, first in---last out, things like picture albums, etc.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
For those with nice china, crystal, etc, have you considered selling the sets to one of those replacements websites? I've looked into it but the shipping charges TO them seems to cancel out anything you might get for your stuff. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with one of those companies.

I've thought the same thing....I wouldn't make enough to offset the shipping costs!

Seems such stuff has no market, kids don't want them, costs too much to sell them......Goodwill, here we come.....

Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,086 times
I have been collecting big boxes intending to fill them with clothing/stuffs to bring to Goodwill. I need a warm weekend to open the unused rooms where we have been storing 'give away' stuffs, rewash all the clothing, sort them out, box them and haul them away.

We also plan to donate a set of living room furniture (with heavy indestructible butcher block frame!) in the family room, a set of single bedroom furniture and several tall bookcases. Our plan to clean out one room at a time so that we can rip out the carpet and restore the nice hardwood floor. I will have to make a call to Goodwill or Salvation Army to see if they will come and pick them up.

Other heavy items which we plan to dispose (by Craiglist, Goodwill, Freecycle - in the order) are a contractor table saw and an upright piano. We can get rid of these items now but will need to either sell the heavy duty work benches/tool chests or offer to leave them with the house. The same goes with the riding lawn mower and snow blower.

We were able to give away some non-flat panels TVs through Freecycle. I was surprised to see half a dozen of immediate responses to my Freecycle ad of a Carver receiver (it developed a short after a thunderstorm).

We had thrown out several bookcases of books. Nobody wants old textbook/reference materials. The local library had tons of used books for sale all the time and did not want donations. Someone had mentioned selling used books through Amazon.com etc. but we simply don't have the time so as much as I hate doing it, the books have been going to the recycling center.

Over the years, we have scanned hundreds if not thousands of family pictures for both family sides and put them on CDs then DVDs then Blurays. We still have the original prints and negatives but may have to chuck at least the prints.

Another set of items to throw out are old CDs/DVDs of programs, games, reference materials etc. I have several big boxes and had my nephews went through them last year. I will have to sort them out to recycle the plastic holders and throw away the CDs.

I had converted many audio CDs to MP3 and had our entire collection on 10 Bluray disc (at 25Gb/disc it is 250GB of music!). I will give away most of the CDs but will keep some of our favorites. It is still nicer to hear the original CD than MP3.

It's likely that we will relocate in the West thousands miles away from our current home. My husband thinks that we should just get rid of all the furniture and buy new ones as needed. I am ready to donate/sell the solid wood but less expensive dining room set and the living room sofas/couch (they were special ordered and made of high quality materials!) but very hesitant to part with our Ethan Allen solid cherry furniture and a beautiful mahogany entertainment center crafted by a friend. I just did a quick search of the current EA price and a dining room table set cost ~$5K, a sleigh bed cost $2K There was an old Craig list for a dining room set which was in good but not excellent condition for $1K and a bed for $900 (haul it yourself). These were the only ads that I could find online, not sure how likely it is that we could find high quality, solid wood furniture of our liking in our new place wherever it may be. It took us years to find the high quality furniture of the style which we like (clean line, shaker or shaker-inspiring style) and buy them. For the first 15 years of our marriage, we only had hand-me-down inexperience furniture. So I am not ready to dispose my high quality, solid wood furniture yet. When the relocation time comes closer, I will have to check out the transportation cost to make the decision.

I am not really 'attached' to any items but am used to living with functional, durable and aesthetically looking furniture. I can not see living with light weight, flimsy, plastic, veneer wood stuffs let alone the gaudy, pretentious or not very functional furniture.

Another set of items which is tough to make the call is framed art work. We have a collection of art work (paintings, drawings and photography by my MIL, husband and daughter - they are very artistic). It took quite a bit of effort to design/find the right mat and frame for each so I would like to move them as is instead of removing the frames/glasses.

Over the years, we have also accumulated a lot of kitchen utensils, appliances, pots, pans, dishes etc. I have been donating them to our rowing club annual yard sale and will need to collect boxes to bring a lot more this year. I think that it will not be difficult to donate these items last minutes to Goodwill/Salvation Army but were warned that these places may not take small appliances. I will have to check with them.

Last edited by BellaDL; 04-04-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-04-2015, 11:47 AM

12,223 posts, read 12,487,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
As some have mentioned about moving, we sold our home and moved into an apartment. Had a large
garage sale (selling 90% of what was in our 1700 sq ft home). Sold almost everything that was out
there. Although we were never into shopping (so there was no clutter) selling what we had was
liberating.
Now we will be moving again (eventually hoping to buy a small home) and as RobertaWa mentioned
I'm also having a hard time about all my art supplies and books since I'm hoping to volunteer teaching
adults and/or children.
The hardest part of the move will be packing our few collectibles (artwork) and kitchen supplies
(pots, pans, dishes, flatware, bowls, pyrex baking pans, small appliances i.e., toaster, blender, food processor, etc...)
The clock is ticking and I'm freaking out.
My wife's parents collected art, and my wife and I have continued the habit. We have one piece of museum quality sculpture that will be donated to a museum. The rest of it will go to relatives, on the condition that they hang it or display it. Almost all of it is original art, and some is pretty valuable, so I want to be able to see it once in a while even if I don't own it any more.

As a financial tip, anything of value that you donate to a non-profit can be deducted from your income. If you are like my wife and I, they are taxing the dickens out of our social security because we have too much retirement income. Being able to write off a $20k sculpture as a charitable donation will mean a lot more money in our pockets without having to hassle with selling it.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:52 AM

12,223 posts, read 12,487,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Well, guess what I found in the garage today? Stuff from the last move, never opened! At least it was labeled, so I don't have to unwrap it to see what it is! I painstakingly wrapped my mother's stemware, which hasn't been used since she passed, over 20 years ago! Leave it wrapped, and take it to Goodwill, make sure to label fragile, I don't want to look at it again and stir up memories, I've locked Mom away in my heart, I don't need her stuff now, I don't entertain like she did and don't plan on starting it! am keeping one glass as a memento, let my kids figure out wtd with it, they don't need 50+
ROFL! That sounds so familiar. When we move here after 9 years at our previous place, we parked a dumpster by the door and the moving van on the other side of the dumpster. We had to pack things past the dumpster to move them, and we gave our friends dumpster diving rights if they helped us move. At that, we were still finding unopened boxes 10 years later.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:59 PM

4,881 posts, read 4,848,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Don't get rid of the artwork. If you can't sell it, nursing homes and town halls, etc will sometimes take them for their walls. And keep the art supplies! Those pricey tubes of paint and sable brushes and paper, frames, etc. cost a fortune! Books could go, as info can be found online and books from libraries.
Oh, I definitely will be keeping them (between the tools and supplies for painting, drawing and
ceramics) since they cost me a lot of money. As I mentioned, I'm hoping to use some of those
for teaching/volunteering and to do more pieces (haven't been able to due to some surgeries
on my hands, you know carpal tunnel ) Will be keeping my art books as well. I have some
signed by the artists themselves and for me, the quality of the images in these books are much
better than on a screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
My wife's parents collected art, and my wife and I have continued the habit. We have one piece of museum quality sculpture that will be donated to a museum. The rest of it will go to relatives, on the condition that they hang it or display it. Almost all of it is original art, and some is pretty valuable, so I want to be able to see it once in a while even if I don't own it any more.

As a financial tip, anything of value that you donate to a non-profit can be deducted from your income. If you are like my wife and I, they are taxing the dickens out of our social security because we have too much retirement income. Being able to write off a $20k sculpture as a charitable donation will mean a lot more money in our pockets without having to hassle with selling it.
Some of my pieces do have value but not into 1000's of dollars. I couldn't part with them anyway.
I do have 2 from somewhat famous Chicago artists but they are lithographs and the museums are
more interested in paintings. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:41 PM

4,691 posts, read 2,541,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Great idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement