U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 AM

1,045 posts, read 957,877 times

Advertisements

I got a MAJOR hurdle accomplished yesterday in giving away a nice computer aromire taking up a huge spot in my LR!! I've wanted to do it for a while but hate to 'not make some pocket $$' on anything I get rid of. BUT, sometimes enough is enough and I posted it on CL FREE and it took all day til 10pm for someone to get their act together for it to find a new home. I don't 'hold' stuff and was dumb and waited all day for some guy to come at 3 different times, as I have had scheduling issues now and again, but he just wore my out, mentally, and I finally reposted the ad and got it out of the house!
My LR looks SO huge now!
I am going to take a look-see on Ebay this week and see what our HW 'sets' are selling for...then decide if it's worth my time to post them or not. Luckily, I am AR organized and found my HW list and books that tell what they are sort of worth, so I might get inspired again. They only take up 2 bins of space so if I choose to sit on them longer it won't be an issue.
This week....going to keep working on dividing the 10,000+ Lego blocks into colors and figures and use that BIG bin for a comforter I want to keep. I'm probably going to keep the Legos for any future Grandkids as I doubt I can recoup their cost.
My fingers are healing nicely and only hurt if I put them in a pocket and try to yank them out....bet I don't leave a ceiling fan 'on' again while hanging windchimes!
My next HUGE project is the big storage shed out in my back yard that I share with a neighbor. I'm going to hang up as much stuff as possible and get rid of the rest. Not too much 'stuff' but I will have problems hanging the shelves alone so I may have to wait for my son to 'get in the mood' to give me a hand in hanging the 2 wire shelves....might be Christmas for him...he's a 20-something, if you have any of those you know how they can be when it doesn't benefit them.
Have a productive week! I'm still in RID mode, which I hope to stay in a while longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:40 AM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
I'm trying a new system. Go ahead and spend on wants one month and only living expenses the next. It's working so far. I had to spend so much for furniture when I moved into my apartment, decided to go with mostly new which will last long after I'm gone. They will then go to my niece or nephew. Due to that, on my spend month I will probably put most into savings, but it will be there if I do have a want.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
We've helped a number of people (including elderly parents and friends) move over the years, and we have moved ourselves a number of times most often with kids. I have learned a thing or two about the "bears" of moving, and these have informed me of what to get rid of now while we're still in decent physical shape.

- Books - hundreds of them, which create a nice ambience but will never be read again. Get rid of 80% of them.

- Dishware - way too much for elder/retired couples. If you entertain, use high quality paperware. Serving dishes weigh a ton. Typically we hold on to too many dishes, mugs, sets of silverware, display dishes, etc etc. Many of these are in those outmoded "hutches," which themselves are heavier than all getout. Concentrate heavily on this area.

- Knickknacks and bric-a-brac - display dishes, dozens of vases, wall plaques, framed unmemorable artwork, statuettes and all the stuff that should be hidden during home showings - and gotten rid of before a move.

- Tools that will never be used again. One set is enough.

- Garden/lawn equipment. How much do we really need?

- The toughest ones — collections! Maybe a thousand stuffed bears aren't so heavy, but pounds and space add up with trophies, antique items, china, glassware, what have you. Heirlooms are to keep, for sure, but all that other stuff (?)

Clothing and linens are easy to get rid of year round, you can put these into bags in your car and drop off in clothing boxes/thrift stores. But for many of us at advanced ages, all that stuff mentioned above is a royal pain to deal with even if moving to a larger place and in manageable seasons.

Why am I taking the time to write all this tonite? Because we just came from our friends' house, the one they must be out of this week (going into a condo), and because of the hubby's advancing physical debility and their ages mid-70s, they can barely get out in time. Yes they have professional movers, but three days before a major downsize is NOT the time to start emptying out 25 yearsful of cabinets and closets. I felt truly sorry for them after we left, having helped a bit along with their adult kids, who were overwhelmed by their parents' failure to begin dealing with their possessions several years ago when they first realized they had to move. If you saw the mess we saw, you wouldn't believe it.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:05 AM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Oh,I believe it. When I had to move, due to the foreclosure. I invited my neighbors in to get what they wanted and left with 20 boxes, which were the things I cherished. Unfortunately, a couple of those boxes contained office clothes which, except for some for church, will go to a non-profit that is trying to get enough cash flow to start a house for pregnant teen-agers who have nowhere to turn. All those clothes were so expensive and worked well when I was working but now I just where blue jeans.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:45 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,003,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
We've helped a number of people (including elderly parents and friends) move over the years, and we have moved ourselves a number of times most often with kids. I have learned a thing or two about the "bears" of moving, and these have informed me of what to get rid of now while we're still in decent physical shape.

- Books - hundreds of them, which create a nice ambience but will never be read again. Get rid of 80% of them.

- Dishware - way too much for elder/retired couples. If you entertain, use high quality paperware. Serving dishes weigh a ton. Typically we hold on to too many dishes, mugs, sets of silverware, display dishes, etc etc. Many of these are in those outmoded "hutches," which themselves are heavier than all getout. Concentrate heavily on this area.

- Knickknacks and bric-a-brac - display dishes, dozens of vases, wall plaques, framed unmemorable artwork, statuettes and all the stuff that should be hidden during home showings - and gotten rid of before a move.

- Tools that will never be used again. One set is enough.

- Garden/lawn equipment. How much do we really need?

- The toughest ones collections! Maybe a thousand stuffed bears aren't so heavy, but pounds and space add up with trophies, antique items, china, glassware, what have you. Heirlooms are to keep, for sure, but all that other stuff (?)

Clothing and linens are easy to get rid of year round, you can put these into bags in your car and drop off in clothing boxes/thrift stores. But for many of us at advanced ages, all that stuff mentioned above is a royal pain to deal with even if moving to a larger place and in manageable seasons.

Why am I taking the time to write all this tonite? Because we just came from our friends' house, the one they must be out of this week (going into a condo), and because of the hubby's advancing physical debility and their ages mid-70s, they can barely get out in time. Yes they have professional movers, but three days before a major downsize is NOT the time to start emptying out 25 yearsful of cabinets and closets. I felt truly sorry for them after we left, having helped a bit along with their adult kids, who were overwhelmed by their parents' failure to begin dealing with their possessions several years ago when they first realized they had to move. If you saw the mess we saw, you wouldn't believe it.
Thank you for the permission!! LOL

Old 06-10-2015, 08:32 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
What did I do??

Not a darned thing.
LOL...me neither. If anything I just keep 'upsizing'. Am I crazy or what?? lol I bought a new table and chairs set the other day, still in the carton, so that should be 'fun' to put together. The instructions say "1.5 hours to assemble all five pieces". I nearly hurt myself laughing! lol THEN I have to manage to get the old set out and across the BIG yard to the storage shed. Now that I have the guest room painted I have to find a bedroom set to put in there. I had planned on putting my own set in there but it's too big so have to 'downsize' to a twin set. I keep solving 'problems' and then finding another (related) one to work on. I expect this house to keep me busy for a loooong time.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:50 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
Regarding books..I love reading and had literally tons of books.
I got a Nook and that changed everything.
The fiction books are all gone..donated to the Library.
I've kept reference books because I tend to go back and forth and here and there with reference books and it's easier to do with a physical book.

I'm down to 1 bookcase which is not completely full.
Buying ebooks is cheaper and I download and strip the DRM off (completely legal for your own device).
Plus there are so many free ebooks out there.

And the e-Ink technology makes reading a pleasure. There's no glare when reading outside.

Nook or Kindle doesn't matter. I recommend E-Ink though because it is easy on the eyes and closely resembles a printed page.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:26 AM

890 posts, read 676,616 times
I have gone paperless with my personal financial records. It's too big of a task right now to scan all the old stuff although I've done that for some old tax returns but prospectively, it's all being scanned and the paper shredded. I've done this for my business and it's just a matter of time before the dividends start to pay off.

A good scanner is needed to make it work and a little time to think about how you want your digital file folders organized.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
[quote=HappyTexan;39965579
Nook or Kindle doesn't matter. I recommend E-Ink though because it is easy on the eyes and closely resembles a printed page.[/QUOTE]

Is E-Ink a device like Nook/Kindle? Price range?

Old 06-10-2015, 04:32 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is E-Ink a device like Nook/Kindle? Price range?
E-Ink is the technology. It's how the screen looks and how the text comes across the screen.

I got a Nook with E-Ink before Kindle went E-Ink. I didn't like the glare from the Kindle.

I went to B&N and also Best Buy and played with both devices before deciding on the Nook.

The Kindle Paperwhite is something I'd consider if I were buying one today as well as the Nook.

Cost is about $100 give or take depending on what you want.

I just wanted an e-Reader..no bells and whistles.
I download books to my computer and then sync them over to my Nook.

I can get free Amazon books (Kindle) or free Nook books (B&N) or free PDF books and use a free software program (Calibre) to catalog them and change their formats to epub which is Nook's format.

I would also suggest you go and physically play with both before purchasing.

Here's an article on E-Ink technology and what it is:
http://portables.about.com/od/newsan.../E-Ink-FAQ.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement