U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
E-Ink is the technology. It's how the screen looks and how the text comes across the screen.

I got a Nook with E-Ink before Kindle went E-Ink. I didn't like the glare from the Kindle.

I went to B&N and also Best Buy and played with both devices before deciding on the Nook.

The Kindle Paperwhite is something I'd consider if I were buying one today as well as the Nook.

Cost is about $100 give or take depending on what you want.

I just wanted an e-Reader..no bells and whistles.
I download books to my computer and then sync them over to my Nook.

I can get free Amazon books (Kindle) or free Nook books (B&N) or free PDF books and use a free software program (Calibre) to catalog them and change their formats to epub which is Nook's format.

I would also suggest you go and physically play with both before purchasing.

Here's an article on E-Ink technology and what it is:
What Is E Ink? How Does It Work? - Electronic Ink
Thanks for all this info. I've never used these devices and was concerned a bit about the cost of buying the downloads, however apparently I would have access to library holdings. I really have to get with the program because I do not want to buy or accumulate any more physical books, as much as I love them. I actually read better on an electronic screen than I do on a paper page, on which I am known to fall asleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 05:30 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks for all this info. I've never used these devices and was concerned a bit about the cost of buying the downloads, however apparently I would have access to library holdings. I really have to get with the program because I do not want to buy or accumulate any more physical books, as much as I love them. I actually read better on an electronic screen than I do on a paper page, on which I am known to fall asleep.
Now I have bought some books from B&N. The cost of an ebook is cheaper than the paper version.
I like Stephen King novels and none of them are free so I'm slowly buying his books. His are ones I can read and a year later read all over again and find new twists in them.

Found a lot of classics here for free:

https://www.gutenberg.org

Just google "free ebooks" and you'll get plenty of websites.

I usually stick to Amazon, B&N and Project Gutenberg for my books.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,522,564 times
In the next town over, I found a St. Vincent de Paul thrift store. Inquired and found out they have a dropoff. I am now rid of my plague of Starbucks bears! :-D

Old 06-11-2015, 06:36 PM

Update on post #303, above...re: the friends who just moved into a condo...today...they now are living in less than 1/3 the space they had in the house they just sold. They did not weed out before their move, other than junk/trash. I have a sad picture of them sitting tonight in their condo surrounded by dozens of boxes and furniture. I believe they will have a small storage area, but still. He has an advancing debilitating condition. I am sooo glad they made this move, but flummoxed that they did next to nothing to prepare for it and then were stuck at the last minute being totally overwhelmed. For someone (me) who has moved so many households (ours and others), this latest fiasco is not being lost on me. Onward with downsizing.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:11 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
I just moved from sister's house, long story, & the 20 boxes I'd managed to save when I lost my house. So for almost 3 years most of these boxes were untouched, except for clothes. So, when I was finally able to be independent (car accident) I had no idea what I had anymore. I bought items I knew I would nneed, mainly kitchen. I'm now finding duplicates, which promptly go into the "Goodwill/nonprofit thrift stores" box.

I wonder if you gently tell them about starting a thrift store box. Do they have adult children to help them?

Old 06-17-2015, 05:53 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
internet back on after SIX days! Tornado near server area! Missed you all!

Packed up and shipped like mad last night. Ebay stuff out the door. One buyer who bought a heavy item is coming to pick it up tomorrow, I plab to show him some stuff he might be interested in.

Finally got a call on the car that is on Craigslist. They want to trade for a classic Dodge truck. If SIL wants it I will do it.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:40 AM

I sold a cultivator attachment for a lawn tractor and it took an hour to wrap in cardboard. Quite a workout, too, I was sweating! But off it goes to someone who will use and love it.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
internet back on after SIX days! Tornado near server area! Missed you all!

Packed up and shipped like mad last night. Ebay stuff out the door. One buyer who bought a heavy item is coming to pick it up tomorrow, I plab to show him some stuff he might be interested in.

Finally got a call on the car that is on Craigslist. They want to trade for a classic Dodge truck. If SIL wants it I will do it.
When is moving day??

Old 06-18-2015, 02:34 PM

We are aiming for July 15th. Waiting to see if stepdaughter and her bf will come through on taking the old Benz to CT, no one on CL wants to buy it so I'm giving it to them.

Then see if they will be hauling the tractor collection to the new house.

If they come through with these then after the pods leave I get the rental SUV and they come and haul our two trucks down.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:25 AM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Update on post #303, above...re: the friends who just moved into a condo...today...they now are living in less than 1/3 the space they had in the house they just sold. They did not weed out before their move, other than junk/trash. I have a sad picture of them sitting tonight in their condo surrounded by dozens of boxes and furniture. I believe they will have a small storage area, but still. He has an advancing debilitating condition. I am sooo glad they made this move, but flummoxed that they did next to nothing to prepare for it and then were stuck at the last minute being totally overwhelmed. For someone (me) who has moved so many households (ours and others), this latest fiasco is not being lost on me. Onward with downsizing.
Sometimes things just don't work out as expected. We bought a townhome and THOUGHT we would have about six months to move. The old condo sold in six weeks. We were scrambling to get rid of some furniture up until closing. I never knew that Goodwill, the Salvation Army and similar organizations had a 45 day wait on pick-up services.

We had piles of stuff at the new place and after 2-3 pickups at the new place, we had enough room to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement