U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 05:48 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Sometimes things just don't work out as expected. We bought a townhome and THOUGHT we would have about six months to move. The old condo sold in six weeks. We were scrambling to get rid of some furniture up until closing. I never knew that Goodwill, the Salvation Army and similar organizations had a 45 day wait on pick-up services.

We had piles of stuff at the new place and after 2-3 pickups at the new place, we had enough room to move.
Exactly! We have our place on the market but we're moving to same size townhouse. Can't sell anything now because the house won't show well and we don't know if we'll have 60 days or 15 days to get out. For full price cash, we'll get out tomorrow and let the dust settle later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 05:58 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
I keep wondering what to do about closing up the house when we leave and hand the keys to the realtor. Do they have to see all the things working before shutting down, like the boiler, well pump, and appliances?

Old 06-24-2015, 06:17 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
I keep wondering what to do about closing up the house when we leave and hand the keys to the realtor. Do they have to see all the things working before shutting down, like the boiler, well pump, and appliances?
Yes, for the home inspection.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:08 AM

People don't generally get home inspections up here. All the homes are fixers. We're rural. But that might have changed, thank for mentioning that.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:15 PM

We had a good week on ebay so more stuff out the door. I also boxed up my unneeded pet supplies like baby bottles, kitten milk and syringes from when I had one diabetic cat and mailed them to the local animal shelter.

I started my notebook for the move and numbered the boxes I have packed and wrote them down in the notebook. I also listed the type of box used as well as the number and contents.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:27 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
I wonder if one ever really stops downsizing. When I made my move from Portland OR to Cleveland I thought I had downsized as much as possible. After I landed in Cleveland, I found myself still getting rid of a lot more unnecessary stuff I had thought necessary to take with me on my move but afterwards discovered that was not the case.

Now when I see a drawer becoming too full or I am running out of hangers in my closet, I tell myself it's time to start letting go again. I don't want to ever be in the position again of having to get rid of tons of things I thought I would use but never did. So for me now it's "throw as I go."

Last edited by Minervah; 06-29-2015 at 01:44 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 01:21 PM

Minervah, you're a mind reader; I was just thinking about starting a thread about 'What did you move with you that you wish you'd gotten rid of?'

Will I really need a humidifier in South Florida???

Old 06-29-2015, 01:40 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,841 times
I laugh every time I see this thread. I haven't done a thing. I just bought the coolest record player: a little one that plays 33, 45, 78 and has blue tooth.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:50 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Minervah, you're a mind reader; I was just thinking about starting a thread about 'What did you move with you that you wish you'd gotten rid of?'

Will I really need a humidifier in South Florida???
That's a great idea. When you move over 2500 miles, you don't have much choice but to downsize because it costs $$$. I didn't want to get rid of everything but getting rid of stuff I could live without certainly saved me some some money when it came to moving it all.

Also, at different stages in my life, I had to move from larger apartments to smaller ones and that's another reason to have to downsize. I no longer buy books because my dear brother-in-law gave me a Kindle due to my failing eyesight and this little gadget is also a great space saver when it comes to not having to have books and book shelves when you live in a small apartment. Although my place is large enough now, I anticipate moving to a smaller place later on.

I have a feeling you won't need that humidifier in South Florida.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:52 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Good one, cc. I've starting my search again, just because. I like this small town because it has strong family roots but, really need to be in a larger town (not city). I lived in cities for 40+ years & as I aged & with the recession, crime became a real factor. But realized that I need to have better access to grocery stores, the clinic & now, car repair. Bottomed out my muffler & the two garages here don't have the capabilities but Fergus proper does so if I decide to stay in Minnesota will have to move there. There are actually quite a few senior buildings that base rent on income. But I'm also investigating warmer climates.

I did nothing to downsize today but may go through my closet again & donate to the homeless. Once a month someone comes to pick up the donations & it's a win/win situation. Last month I was going through summer clothes & some I had to shake my head & say, what were you thinking? So someone got some good looking, but much too young for me, clothes.
Now I need to go through my work clothes & just keep some that I'll use for church, etc. I've been putting it off because I worked in a professional office & none of them were cheap. But it's selfish to keep things others can use. There are some I'll never give up but a lot are just practical clothes for work. Do I really think I need 7 pairs of navy pants? All in slightly different shades of course, lol.
You folks inspire me to do this. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement