U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2015, 01:54 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times

Advertisements

LOL LDGirl!!!!!!!!! Maybe you could start a 'What did you add to your hoard?' thread

Yeah, Min, you're probably right. I'll leave it for the new owners. It's a really good one and I got it for a buck at a garage sale. The new place has a fireplace, that's why I was considering keeping it.........

meo, what is keeping you up there? After these last two winters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 02:02 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Believe me, it it wasn't for the move, I would still be sitting in a pile 'o stuff!

Old 06-29-2015, 02:11 PM

We've been jettisoning stuff for two years now. Donated, sold and consigned. The attic and shop is half of what they were. And still tons of stuff!

Old 06-29-2015, 05:09 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,053,473 times
I finished off the ice cream. No honestly, I've been taking clothes to the donation center and I've given away some clay flower pots (I have more than I need) and I need to go through the file cabinet and toss or shred unnecessary paperwork.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:07 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Cc, I moved here because with all that had happened, & no longer having a home, my sister suggested I could help with mom. This is also how I got into home health care, btw. The nurse saw how I was with my mother, who had dementia & could be a trial, she reported to the company & they asked me if I would be willing to help with other clients.
The first year I was here it was due to mom. The second was due to needing/ having the operation. Now it is, again, due to health & the want/need to have a good rental history. I haven't rented for 15 years or so. With the bk, wanted to show stability. Still deciding whether to move. I can't do much since the operation, which released the pinched nerve but, the damage to my back had been done.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:51 AM

Sounds like you are in a good place, meo. I would like to take some HHC or HHCA classes.

I scrapped some used auto parts that won't sell yesterday. Listed an instrument cluster worth selling on the bay.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:04 AM

7,977 posts, read 11,653,739 times
Wish me luck and send your vibes, energy, prayers. I heading out to my 20 x 30 storage unit today. I hired 2 women sight unseen off craigslist to help me (spendng yet more money on this stuff, dumb really). We are going to pull most of it out, I'll go through boxes and re box based on give away, sell, keep.
I have a lot of stuff that isn't in boxes, ladders, garden tools, regular garage tools. A lot I want to keep based on the idea I may be in one last house? I don't know yet. I suspect lots of trouble with 'give away'.

I want to try to repack the unit based on taking stuff incrementally to my nephews barn till I figure out the house part.
In all honesty I could have just left this stuff in Nebraska 8 years ago and easily rebought everything with what I've spent on storage. Feel pretty stupid. Thought I would buy a house here but didn't. Now I feel like I'm too close to retirement and moving into my last dream house in another state (hah! that probably won't work out either But some of the stuff my nephew can probably use, like I have about 4 good ladders. I don't buy junk which makes it harder to sell/let go.

I watched a couple of minutes of hoarders last night. They were hauling away a semi load of outdoor stuff, wood etc. and this guy was crying. The hoarder expert was saying how all this stuff represented this guys dreams of projects etc. and that's why it was hard for him. He's so right. All my gardening stuff and my dreams of owning an acreage....well it will not happen and that is really hard to accept that even if I could afford that acreage I don't have the youth to do it like I wanted anymore.

Give me strength! Hope these 2 ladies I hired aren't duds.

Old 07-03-2015, 08:38 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,595,656 times
Just looked at this again. Someone asked if you ever finish downsizing. I don't think so. It was a year ago yesterday we closed on our old home and made the permanent move to the lake house. When I think back to all the stuff I gave, sold, got rid of before the move it amazes me. Then I look at the piles we still have here. There's a big one I called our eBay pile when we first moved it in. It hasn't gotten any smaller. Then this week we needed to clear out a storage area under an eave for the electrician. I was amazed at how many boxes we managed to put in there. They all need to go back for now as I refuse to deal with the ones I can have out of sight. Still have too many that are sitting in plain view.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:58 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
I have no problem getting rid of stuff I don't use or have room for. Perhaps it is because I lost so much during Hurricane Andrew I lost all attachment to belongings due to this.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:23 PM

Ah, Gisela, think of this as the window opening when a door closes. Sheet happens. Have hope.

I bought a 600 lb. rated hand truck with a ten percent off coupon at Tractor Supply. I will need it at both ends of the move, so money well spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement