U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 04:48 PM

16,337 posts, read 10,327,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I have no problem getting rid of stuff I don't use or have room for. Perhaps it is because I lost so much during Hurricane Andrew I lost all attachment to belongings due to this.
That could very well be, popcorn.
I've often wondered how people who went through a tragedy like that, whether hurricane, fire, whatever,
dealt with the loss. Much is replaceable but the photos, family momentos, just little things that aren't so little when they're gone.

At least when you get rid of something you pick when, and where it goes. And it's a little at a time.

Not all at once. That has to have a long term affect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 05:17 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
That could very well be, popcorn.
I've often wondered how people who went through a tragedy like that, whether hurricane, fire, whatever,
dealt with the loss. Much is replaceable but the photos, family momentos, just little things that aren't so little when they're gone.

At least when you get rid of something you pick when, and where it goes. And it's a little at a time.

Not all at once. That has to have a long term affect.
Fortunately all the family photos survived. They were stored in a plastic tub with a tight lid. I lost all my books, school yearbooks, several pieces of furniture that had been my parent's. Lots of dishes, momentos that had been in the family, etc. When I evacuated for the storm, I took the box of family recipes, thank goodness.

I haven't been the same since the storm. I am hyper prepared, always planning for trips, for everything. over-planning. I really think that I have ptsd. The aftermath, for about 2 years, was horrible. Our world was turned upside down. Now that I am retired, I want to leave the area and not live near any area that might be badly affected by hurricanes.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:27 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Mine was, in order, job lay-off, discovery that I needed a stent & had the operation, bankruptcy as I could not find work, car accident - person ran red light & crashed me & my car into a steel barrier. This was a month before foreclosure & so I had a chance to think, what would you save if there was a fire? I saved 20 boxes from a whole house; tried & true cookware, books that I couldn't easily replace, clothes that would cost more to replace than keep, photo albums, etc.
The sad thing is, I kept my work clothes, professional office attire & I never needed most of them again. 2 of the 20 boxes. But, even there, my favorite thrift store tends to get high end items, just because they are tucked away in an area that is not known to folks. But, I am going to donate the ones I will not save for church, & have them put the proceeds towards their goal, ( a home for unwed pregnant woman). I know they will not get the price I paid for them, but I think it's a win-win situation.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:38 PM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
I've gone through all my closets and drawers.... looked at every article of clothing. I tried on everything that I had not worn recently and got rid of a lot! I am now in the process of going through all my papers, bills, old bank statements and shredding them. I want to donate a chest of drawers and have thrown away nearly everything that was in it. I've donated many of my books to the library and my local community center. A couple years ago, I donated three chest of drawers and two bookcases to the Salvation Army. I also went through my kitchen utensil drawer and gave away duplicates or items I haven't used in years. I have loads of wine glasses that I haven't used in 20+ years. I would like to donate these but unsure of how to transport them without breaking any.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:45 PM

19,824 posts, read 18,832,665 times
Someone came this morning and bought our air conditioner! That's one big thing gone. If we move South we'll have central air and anyway, in this little beach shack, you can just open the window and get a sea breeze--most of the time anyway.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:04 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Thanks new england for keeping us on track. One of the things I have tried to do each month is go through my clothes (I have way to many that do not fit) & put them in the box for the homeless. I am so glad & proud of my building that we have that. I have been known (in secret) to buy things at thrift stores to put in the box.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:05 PM

16,337 posts, read 10,327,920 times
After I retired, I kept my scrubs for a while in case I decided to work in the medical profession again. When I realized that wasn't going to happen, I put them just inside the employee entrance with a 'free' sign.

Someone is walking around looking just like me.

Took some cross stitch charts and pamphlets to the library. Books are left at the main desk but magazines and such are left on the landing. Anything there is free. Actually the librarian kept a few.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:50 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
I think you guys may be on to something re the PTSD remark. After a trauma like popcorn and meo have been through it's absolutely possible that is what the appropriate reaction would be. Hard to shake something like those experiences.

I sure hope the move doesn't do me in like that.

I packed up all of my music CD's. Three Priority Mail no. 7 boxes. DH's WWII collectibles.

We wanted to go out to the shop but it was supposed to rain all day and I got up waaay too early. Cooked up a storm, though, so no need to fuss for a day or two.

Found some old speaker wire, a remote to some Sony thing I don't remember and another part for a Honda, all out to the scrap pile.

Congrats on the a/c unit in_ne. Are you really going to go south?

ETA I had already left Fl but my folks were there for Andrew. They got away unscathed, my uncle's place a mile away was flattened.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:54 PM

39 posts, read 30,981 times
I was inspired & went through my summer clothes & put more into the homeless box. I'm sure they will appreciate them. I have to wonder sometimes why I kept clothes I obviously wouldn't wear again, too form fitting, but I did. Now someone who CAN wear them & they will be a lot more comfortable.

Last edited by meolson92953; 07-04-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 04:46 AM

7,977 posts, read 11,653,739 times
The two women I hired off craigslist to help with the storage area were ok. Could have been faster and helped me more with what was in the boxes. But they were honest and showed up and did ok. They said they've been scammed off craigslist by people and I know that's been a problem. So far I've had decent luck.
Because there were just too many boxes of stuff and it was on me to get through them, well that didn't happen. Mostly we took stuff out and then repacked in a way where I can get to some of the boxes I need to go through more easily. That's disappointing but its progress of a sort. We did take a couple of trunkloads to the dumpster and I have some boxes of books in my car to take to half books and the library to see if they want any. Some of the boxes I could have easily dumped but am reluctant to dump stuff someone may want for free. The oceans have like 10 texas sized areas of floating plastic and crap. If someone can use it I'd rather give it away. Slows the downsizing down but I just hate throwing stuff away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement