U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 05:50 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times

Advertisements

I'm with you, Giesela, better to rehome things than fill up a landfill.

I found some old books way in the back of a cupboard while packing up my cd's, so I started yet another box for the consign lady. She always finds homes for things that she chooses not to sell in her store. Bonus, the local library is right across the street from her shop.

At the request of a feellow poster I am going to start the 'What did you add to your hoard today?' in the retirement forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 01:03 AM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Good for you Giesela. It wasn't until I worked in a homeless shelter that I realized how great the need for our help is.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:11 AM

Today I have a gf coming to pick up a china closet and an armchair. The china closet was a gift from my Dad, it's nice but I want a new dining room set when we get down there. I big one like I have now, with a buffet and china closet and hopefully seating for eight.

The armchair I got at a garage sale in Ridgefield, CT for 15 bucks. It's nice but it doesn't match our new colors so off it goes. It will look nice in her place which is kind of country/shabby chic. They will be loved and appreciated. And I will have more room for boxes!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 AM

16,337 posts, read 10,327,920 times
and if you get rid of storage things (like china closets) you will need to get rid of the stuff that was in them!

good move, Ccc girl!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:24 AM

Thanks, PAh! When I get back to garage sailing I will have to look for hippos. LOL the enabler.

I sold most of the glass in the cabinet. The bottom part was just storage for my mom's things when she would visit, I donated most of them and boxed her crocs, flip flops (still new) and a long dress that are still good.

Pack, pack, pack. I love it

Old 07-10-2015, 01:59 PM

973 posts, read 1,489,093 times
Default An interesting read

...as some posts were funny while others were poignant. I think this generation has collected the most "stuff"due to many factors such as parents being part of The Depression, easy credit, planned obsolescence, advertising, hobbies, being readers, and just so much JUNK and technology being produced that it was hard to ignore it all. And I think that you are all correct in that what we thought to be collectibles no longer are; and even art work is dubious. I know my children do not collect things per se as everything is basically digital; and for their generation and the one above and below it, I don't think most feel that antiques are that important. And when I look at Antiques Roadshow, the back then and now shows, I can see what has fallen out of favor, which is a lot of what we collected.

Someone asked if people in Europe have as much stuff, and having lived in two countries there and visiting several, I would say no, except for perhaps the UK. First, homes are a lot smaller and second, the people had not been bombarded with the need for bigger and better (and more)like we have via our advertising agencies. Quality is what they prefer over quantity (except for books, artwork, dvd's and cd's I have noticed). They tend to value people and connections more so than things, which we seem to discover later in life. Plus, many new countries that were in the former USSR and Yugoslavia were under strict control of goods and services and only within the past two decades have they become true consumers (and can you imagine who all here can't wait to open up (destroy) Cuba?). But I digress, so back to the thread:

Overall, whenever I return from Europe, I always purge, for it seems as I feel guilty having all that I do and really using little of it. Plus the sleek, uncluttered flats that I had lived in are still embedded in my memory. But for me today I got rid of an non-working lawnmower and gas can as I bought an electric mower that I adore! And this past weekend, I went through many of my WWI/WWII/historical/pop cultural items and ephemera, and made a box for my son who teaches World History, so he can share these items and photos with his students. Can anyone say PET ROCK???

A few things though, I cannot seem to get rid of and those include my artwork (have value and to whom each piece is going on the back with a post it), books (antique and first editions amongst the over 300 as I still feel that books make a house a home) and my grandma's and mom's and my pink Depression glass (which really is of no value any more, but love to look at it!).

Old 07-10-2015, 02:11 PM

O Sag, DO tell me about your depression glass!

One of the things I packed for the move was a Fostoria 'utility' vase in pink wisteria. No etching, just a plain urn shape with a ground rim. It's stunning and I picked up at the consign lady for six bucks. Back in the day when the market was good it could have gone for seventy five or maybe a hundred dollars. I'd rather keep it than let it go cheap since the bottom dropped out of the glass market.

Today I finally got the two bags of clothes, box of office supplies and dropped them off at the church store.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:24 PM

973 posts, read 1,489,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
O Sag, DO tell me about your depression glass!

One of the things I packed for the move was a Fostoria 'utility' vase in pink wisteria. No etching, just a plain urn shape with a ground rim. It's stunning and I picked up at the consign lady for six bucks. Back in the day when the market was good it could have gone for seventy five or maybe a hundred dollars. I'd rather keep it than let it go cheap since the bottom dropped out of the glass market.

Today I finally got the two bags of clothes, box of office supplies and dropped them off at the church store.
YAY that you kept it!!! And you are right that the bottom has dropped out of the glass market, and that means most of it as I don't see anyone young really collecting it. I have an assortment including American Sweetheart and etched leaf, but Fostoria is ABSOLUTELY beautiful.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:00 PM

Reps for you, Sag, you should have seen the collection my mother sold when she sold her house. An entire 12x24 room full of some of the rarest etched depression glass you've ever seen. She was a dealer for years. She took the thirty grand and split. No regrets, she hasn't done ebay for two years now.

I will also be keeping my Cambridge 'arms' centerpiece that mom gave me. I've never displayed it and it is stunning. It's like this one but bigger.

Today we had good intensions of going up to the shop and taking photos of some old Cub parts for ebay. We decided to take a short road trip up to the lake b/c DH hasn't been out of the house for awhile since the pneumonia.

Well, our neighbors were out in the yard so we stopped to say hello, which turned out to an hour or so of the boys conversing with DH and me hanging out with momma. She wanted to give me a bottle of wine in exchange for the huge TV I gave her DH. I told her no, open the damn thing and let's hoist one.

They are in their eighties and Lord knows when the next time will be that we enjoy their company. I'm glad we stopped. Came home and napped for an hour. It was worth it. The stuff up in the shop will be there tomorrow. Our neighbors might not, and we love them dearly.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:55 PM

23,554 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Donated several dozen more books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement