Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 08:48 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times

Advertisements

Cleaned out 2 boxes of old papers, taking a bag of papers into the office on Monday to shred. Found warranty and instruction pamphlets for appliances and electronics that I got rid of years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 09:35 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
My brother is currently down-sizing my late sister's stuff, to help her daughter (who has disabling migraines). He told me that she could tolerate around 6 hours per day. I replied that I was astonished - my limit would be more like 3 hours per day.

Then he said that "all" she had to do was sit on the couch and decide how to dispose of stuff.

I informed him that deciding is the most difficult part of downsizing!!!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:05 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Reps for you, Sag, you should have seen the collection my mother sold when she sold her house. An entire 12x24 room full of some of the rarest etched depression glass you've ever seen. She was a dealer for years. She took the thirty grand and split. No regrets, she hasn't done ebay for two years now.

I will also be keeping my Cambridge 'arms' centerpiece that mom gave me. I've never displayed it and it is stunning. It's like this one but bigger.
That would be one stunning centerpiece! But why have you never displayed it, CC? I think for the holidays, it would be stunning!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:10 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
It's a small house and I never got around to it, plus I was afraid one of the cats would knock it over (we had a LOT at the time) and we were doing renovations. Heck, I had a radial arm saw in my living room for years. Our new place is 3x as big, so I will be loving decorating with all the treasures hidden in the attic.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:32 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
It's a small house and I never got around to it, plus I was afraid one of the cats would knock it over (we had a LOT at the time) and we were doing renovations. Heck, I had a radial arm saw in my living room for years. Our new place is 3x as big, so I will be loving decorating with all the treasures hidden in the attic.
YAY again for you, as your response made me smile. I didn't know you were moving, so Conrats! And... it will be fun to turn your new house into YOUR new home!

Old 07-12-2015, 10:59 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Haven't done it yet, but am giving my mother's dishes to my niece. I'm grateful my family wanted me to have them, but they are not my style. I felt obligated to keep them & then realized my niece, who was super close to her grandmother, would treasure them. So I asked her & yes, she wants them. I, in turn, bought some really fun dishes at a garage sale & dollar store. They make me smile.
And, that's the point. The Dr. Oz show had a great guest who said, keep things that give you joy, get rid of everything else.
There are things I have that make me smile. They are keepers. There are others I just shrug & think, maybe I'll use or wear that someday, those will go.
I never, ever thought of it that way, but for me, it's true. Now when I look at my new dishe I smile.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:44 PM

Very cool, meo!

Thanks, Sag!

Today DH's BFF came and picked up a pickup box full of scrap metal. We get free haul away and he gets a little cash.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Today I reserved a car trailer for step DD and future ex son in law (joke) for Monday. They will be taking the giant old Benz to CT, where with our blessing they will sell it, trade it, part it, drive it or do some good with it. That was the deal that my mom made with me when she gave it to me, it's only fitting that it gets handed down.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:25 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
took a box and bag to Goodwill yesterday. It wasn't much but the stuff is gone. Gone is good.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Bag of 7 vases (kept one) and large wineglasses to Goodwill. One portacrib brought downstairs and slated for a shelter. Other one...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement