U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 02:59 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times

Advertisements

boston wanted "crib" - craigslist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Finally making some progress moving, kids are coming up to haul off the old Benz.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:04 PM

The kids picked up the car today. UHaul was a real cluftersuck. They didn't have the trailer available at their location. Had to drive to the next town to another UHaul.

They did not know anything about it. Then when they tried to tell the computer what veicles were towing and being told it repeatedly said not acceptible.

Their software does not have a C3500 dually option so it kept bleeping it back. The owner fudged things, made us initial a waiver and finally got us a trailer.

This was propbably a Godsend b/c the other place might have sent us off with no trailer, not knowing how to lie to the computer.

Then we find out the ball size is different. SIL didn't have one, one of his buddies borrowed it out of his truck. So, off to Wmart for a new bar, ball and 7 to four adapter. 60 bucks later we hooked up and left. This took over an hour!

It's finally gone, SIL has new hitch bar with three different ball sizes so he will never have this problem again, and we finally got to meet new SIL. It's been ten years since DD saw us.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:33 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,832,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh man. I'm already retired, but last year I moved from a huge one-bedroom apartment to a micro apartment of about 250 square feet. In November I moved to the coast to an even smaller apartment of about 115 square feet. I thought I couldn't live with less than I had, that I'd downsized all I could. But, it's funny how you keep finding things you realized you didn't really need to keep.

I'm about to toss my box of memories. I've offered them to my daughter several times, and she's declined. Old photos, recordings and videotapes of me way back when I did radio and voiceovers and commercials - in another life. I haven't looked at any of that stuff in over 10 years. I think I'll keep one old poster and frame it. The rest is going into the dumpster.

I also am a bit of a food hoarder. I have a separate piece of furniture that I use as a pantry for canned goods. I've decided to quit storing so much food, and eat up what's in that pantry and turn it into my hardware storage, which will free up other space for things that are more important - I want to get back into hobbies and will need to store my hobby supplies.

It's a constant re-thinking and re-prioritizing of stuff. You need so much less than you think you do.

I congratulate you on getting rid of the China. I'm trying to stick to the idea of - if I haven't used it in the last year, it's outta here.
We like our space and although we could live in less, don't really want to. Nevertheless, we too discovered that the 'kids' don't want their old baby clothes and pictures, their mother's china and Christmas decorations and a host of other 'treasures' we've been hauling around for years. We've also got enough food on hand to feed a small country - and yet, 'eat out' about 70-percent of the time. (My wife grew-up in a very small town and reasonable shopping was about 50-miles away; I have no excuse for my own tendency to store-up unused food, like a squirrel hoarding for winter.).

Our daughter did take the silverware ... and had more interest in the daily dishes --- so, we gave her those and have used the china and crystal as our daily dishes for the past two years.

-- Some new folks just moved from their 4000 sf home, into the 2000 sf condo next to ours. It's an interesting dynamic to watch them try to fit it all in ... and wonder if indefinitely paying for a large, separate storage area for one's 'junk' is really worthwhile. (It's really difficult to imagine living in 250 sf, much less 115 sf -- Are you living in a van?

Old 07-20-2015, 10:58 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Hopefully they'll recognize that goodwill, salvation army or other nonprofits would love their treasures that don't fit into their space.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:47 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,632,731 times
I'm now in the middle of downsizing from a three-bedroom, two-bath, two-car garage home to a one-bedroom condo with no extra storage facility. The house is about 2000 square feet; the condo is about half that. So I'm getting rid of 50% of my stuff -- in the next two weeks.

The biggest wrinkle is that I'm selling my house, and so have to be out of it, in two weeks, but I don't close on the condo for another month after that. So the movers will be keeping my stuff in storage for a month, while I hang out with relatives.

So for now I have five categories of stuff:

1. Stuff the movers will take and put into storage -- that, of course, has to be carefully packed into moving boxes

2. Stuff I'll need to keep with me during my "homeless" month -- that goes into suitcases and smaller boxes to be kept in the back of my car

3. Furniture that Habitat for Humanity will come and pick up as a donation

4. Stuff to be taken to Goodwill -- things that HH doesn't want -- currently piled up in my garage

5. Stuff to be thrown away

It's certainly a challenge to keep all this straight, and to live in the chaos of packing.

I just keep thinking about George Carlin's classic stand-up routine about "Stuff."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

Old 07-21-2015, 06:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm now in the middle of downsizing from a three-bedroom, two-bath, two-car garage home to a one-bedroom condo with no extra storage facility. The house is about 2000 square feet; the condo is about half that. So I'm getting rid of 50% of my stuff -- in the next two weeks.

The biggest wrinkle is that I'm selling my house, and so have to be out of it, in two weeks, but I don't close on the condo for another month after that. So the movers will be keeping my stuff in storage for a month, while I hang out with relatives.

So for now I have five categories of stuff:

1. Stuff the movers will take and put into storage -- that, of course, has to be carefully packed into moving boxes

2. Stuff I'll need to keep with me during my "homeless" month -- that goes into suitcases and smaller boxes to be kept in the back of my car

3. Furniture that Habitat for Humanity will come and pick up as a donation

4. Stuff to be taken to Goodwill -- things that HH doesn't want -- currently piled up in my garage

5. Stuff to be thrown away

It's certainly a challenge to keep all this straight, and to live in the chaos of packing.

I just keep thinking about George Carlin's classic stand-up routine about "Stuff."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

He performed it here at a city theater. That was his best.

I'm making some progress. Gave away the two portacribs and two older car seats. The house part is done as far as we wish to go with it and ready to go when we are. The basement is still full of tools, though everything else down there has been hauled to the dump by a retired guy with a truck. We have no attic, thankfully. The storage closet upstairs has just the off-season clothing and the archive of family photos.

The job this fall is to clean out the unused lumber from the garage, clean out the yard shed, and then we're down in stuff as far as we'll go. I think we could then live comfortably in 9001200 sf in a few years, if we want.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:06 PM

Since we won't be selling right away, we may have DD and SIL move in and stay over winter. They don't haul during the winter, they save all spring and summer and then hibernate. The house would stay occupied (I had a chipmunk in the laundry room this spring) and get plowed out.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:14 AM

Two days ago we cleaned up the shop and moved another tractor inside for dismantle and sell parts off of.

We may have to wait awhile, something about the IRS and the new house. Whatever we need to do for mom to get it right, we will. Meantime that gives us more opportunity to sell, purge and donate.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:48 PM

Culled through some books to sell, duplicates in his collection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement