U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 11:18 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times

Advertisements

Please search. I know there is a place that sends books overseas but do not remember the name of the organization. Otherwise, Goodwill or the Salvation Army are both good places to donate to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 01:41 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,188,667 times
Check with your local Police auxiliary too. They sometimes have books in police stations to keep kids occupied while they are there. Also homeless shelters or battered women's shelters. books can be comforting for kids during times of stress.

My downsize for the week - my bathroom vanity. There was stuff in those drawers for years. I filled a trash bag full of "stuff". Found some old medications that need to go to the police station for disposal.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:54 AM

17 posts, read 8,065 times
I moved to a small apartment last year due to a divorce. Downsizing was a necessity. I keep a bag in my hallway that I fill up over a month, and then donate that to the Goodwill near me, always being careful to note what I gave on the receipt.

Lately I have been scanning all my old files, such as my old tax returns, bank statements, receipts, warranties, and health related documents. If I keep this up I may be able to replace my 4 drawer file cabinet with a 2 drawer file cabinet.

I have scanned some of my photos but need to keep on doing that. I'd also like to get rid of most of my CDs and use the MP3 format instead. I need to also get rid of my remaining VCR cassette tapes - I've had them scanned to DVD but I'm so attached to them it is very hard to do (handwriting, memories).

Has anyone else gone to a paperless environment - or near paperless? I like having less paper and can actually find things when I need them much easier on my computer. But have others done this and have tips? Or warnings?

Old 09-20-2015, 04:49 PM

I've tried to go paperless for most banking and bills. I keep a recycle bag near where I open my mail and most items just go directly in. Unfortunately some need to be properly destroyed, so I cheat and take them into work about once a week to use their industrial strength shredder.
I have scanned most of my other documents, it's so much easier to find them.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:46 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
I desperately need this thread... Following!

Old 09-22-2015, 07:41 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,295,877 times
Moved some unsellable parts to the scrap heap for DH's BFF to take to the scrap yard for cash. Took photos of the good stuff to put up for sale.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:15 PM

3 more boxes packed, 2 bags of clothes for Goodwill and 2 bags of business clothes for VOA. Wednesday I have a friend coming over to help get the books ready for "Friends of the Library" 175 days and counting

Old 11-12-2015, 10:52 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Finally getting rid of my purses. I used to use the extra large heavy leather ones and now I can't carry that much weight.

I have 7 that I am giving to my niece - well, she has first dibs anyway. I tried the smaller cross body, too small. Finally found a nice roomy nylon cross body that I like. For some reason, I still like to have a large purse, just not too heavy.

Did keep my black leather Coach bag for dressier needs.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:21 AM

Packed up 9 bags of books for Friends of the Library before I ran out of bags. Still another 2 or 3 more bags to go. Got 4 boxes of decorative items (vases, candlesticks, etc.) boxed up and ready to move. Arranged to have the Salvation Army come and pick up the dining room table and leather rocker, in addition to 3 boxes of household items. It will feel good to get them out of the house.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:37 AM

29,766 posts, read 34,851,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Wow, MaryLee, that is so pathetic! People in your area are that well off that they would turn good food away? Unthinkable here.

Twice a year the Post Office has a food drive, leave a grocery bag in your mailbox on the given day. Around here the need is huge, since the meltdown food pantries have struggled to meet the double and sometimes triple demand of what they were doling out.

Hoping to get into the attic today and start trimming down the clothes. I'm in a bind b/c I have company coming so I really can't store stuff to go to the thrift store until after Friday. I might have to wait on it.

I stopped by my adopted Mom this weekend and she filled my truck bed with nice clean boxes for packing and a huge bag of plastic grocery bags. They make great padding for packing things.
Our post office had a canned food drive last year and they left a flimsy plastic bag in the mail box for the food. I went shopping to donate food and it was to much and to heavy for their bag so we put it in another bag by the mail box and they didn't take it. We left it there for a day or two with a note and they never checked it. Our guess was they only felt comfortable taking it in the bag they gave them. So anyone reading this be sure how you leave it out and if anything watch for them coming so you can give it to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement