U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 01:18 PM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times

Advertisements

I am currently transitioning between one house (my mother's/childhood home) and my own home. Found myself with an ENTIRE box of dishwasher powder and don't have one at the new place, along with various and sundry furniture polishes, Windex bottles, etc. Couldn't just throw them in the trash ("hazardous waste"), couldn't bear to toss them, couldn't use them. I ended up just dropping the box off at the local battered women's/kids' shelter and running away before they saw me, hee! Surely they can use it; if not, it's now their prob...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 07:35 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I am currently transitioning between one house (my mother's/childhood home) and my own home. Found myself with an ENTIRE box of dishwasher powder and don't have one at the new place, along with various and sundry furniture polishes, Windex bottles, etc. Couldn't just throw them in the trash ("hazardous waste"), couldn't bear to toss them, couldn't use them. I ended up just dropping the box off at the local battered women's/kids' shelter and running away before they saw me, hee! Surely they can use it; if not, it's now their prob...
That was probably a good idea EXCEPT with the way the world is right now, they don't know if it's an ex or a terrorist that left it so they may have to spend time and maybe money to get rid of it.

I think if you would have called social services or United Way, they could have found a home for the items.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:12 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,323,199 times
Quote:
I am sure they were thrilled to receive your box of trash.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:22 AM

Well, ours is a small friendly town, and people drop stuff off on their porch all the time (there were several bags and boxes with mine), so I doubt they thought "bomb"... Although, after Friday...???

Uh, not "trash"; unopened or still full new, useful cleaning items. I would only HOPE they would be thankful for all the free stuff people give them every day?

Old 11-15-2015, 06:29 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,674,534 times
I finally went through my closet and ended up with three boxes of clothes to donate. I washed and folded them all nicely! I also donated some furniture items that I've replaced since moving into my house. It DOES feel good to get all that done! I have more but they will wait till I can replace them.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:34 AM

Do most people generally discard items at regular intervals? I find that, unless I'm motivated (by, say, MOVING), everything finds its place and basically sits there until there's a reason to uncover/get rid of it. Unfortunately! I like the "one in, one out" rule, but I seldom follow it as long as there's room for the old stuff and it's not bothering anything.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:26 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Do most people generally discard items at regular intervals? I find that, unless I'm motivated (by, say, MOVING), everything finds its place and basically sits there until there's a reason to uncover/get rid of it. Unfortunately! I like the "one in, one out" rule, but I seldom follow it as long as there's room for the old stuff and it's not bothering anything.
I go through my clothes when the seasons change. Right now I'm putting away most of my summer things. I'll also give away items I no longer use.

I try things on to see if they still fit or if I even like them. Why keep things around if you are not going to use them.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:55 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,188,667 times
I wish I had cleaned out my closet and everything else on a regular basis. I'm now facing cleaning out over 15 years of "stuff" preparing for a cross country move. Finally got all the books together. A total of 16 bags for the Friends of the Library. I hope there are a lot of mystery readers shopping there. Tomorrow night we attack the clothes that I put away thinking I would be able to fit into them again. Lots of business clothes for the VOA "Back to work" program. Also packing up all my summer clothes since my next summer I will be in my new home - yea!!!

Old 11-15-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Well, ours is a small friendly town, and people drop stuff off on their porch all the time (there were several bags and boxes with mine), so I doubt they thought "bomb"... Although, after Friday...???

Uh, not "trash"; unopened or still full new, useful cleaning items. I would only HOPE they would be thankful for all the free stuff people give them every day?
I didn't mean to sound like I was against what you did. Sorry. But, yes, Friday did play a big part in my opinion.

Old 11-15-2015, 09:03 PM

Also, it is my 'no spend' month. Doesn't mean you can't buy regular things you use every month, but you have to get creative & use up things in your freezer & pantry. It's amazing how much extra you have that can be used up.

I have to go through my closet for extra winter clothes. Our building gives clothes to the homeless & I really have too many coats. I'm so glad this is available to us, to help others without leaving our building. I've never met the people that pick up our clothes but I do know they are devoted to the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement