U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 11:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times

Advertisements

I have a dozen other things to do today, but I got seized by the downsizing bug again. We have no attic, thank goodness. We do have a large upstairs storage closet. This spring that is going to be turned into a half bath. What to do with all that stuff. Our off-season clothing is stored in many labeled boxes up there. I decided that since we each have large closets I'd create a year-round clothes closet for each of us (got no objections). It's a bit tight, but the boxes are being eliminated two by two and I'm fitting it all in. Weeding out a lot as I go.

When the boxes are gone, there's all manner of coats to deal with (to incorporate into other closets, but how many coats do we really need?) and other stuff that 'll be given away or tucked in somewhere else in the house. No more going up to the storage room to retrieve the new season's clothes.

The other thing I'm deciding, which is much harder, is replacing my collection of heavy cotton quilts with lightweight feather quilts with washable duvets. I started that a few years ago but still have a large and heavy wicker trunk full of these quilts. I hate to part with them but they weigh a lot and my washer isn't big enough to stuff in even one and get it really clean. It will be an investment to buy the down comforters. A lot of poundage will be eliminated though.

Anyone else getting down to the nitty gritty in terms of stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 12:04 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
I did some more sorting this morning.

The other day I found a box full of SOCKS! I forgot about them. I washed them and will give them away - won't even look at them.

This morning I decided to put away most of my summer clothes - shorts and pjs. I had already given away about 15 pairs of shorts and what do you know - still have about 15 left! And pjs. I love pajamas. I like matching sets. The thought of just throwing on a t-shirt to sleep in just isn't me. And yes, I bought new winter pjs. So getting rid of last years. It doesn't even get super cold here.

I have lost weight without even trying, so that gives me a good excuse to get new things. I'm not one to hang on to something just in case I might fit in it again. Body changes. Something you fit in 10 years ago, can still fit, but does it look good? Not unless your body parts stayed in the same exact spot and you didn't sag or bag. LOL

Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I did some more sorting this morning.

The other day I found a box full of SOCKS! I forgot about them. I washed them and will give them away - won't even look at them.

This morning I decided to put away most of my summer clothes - shorts and pjs. I had already given away about 15 pairs of shorts and what do you know - still have about 15 left! And pjs. I love pajamas. I like matching sets. The thought of just throwing on a t-shirt to sleep in just isn't me. And yes, I bought new winter pjs. So getting rid of last years. It doesn't even get super cold here.

I have lost weight without even trying, so that gives me a good excuse to get new things. I'm not one to hang on to something just in case I might fit in it again. Body changes. Something you fit in 10 years ago, can still fit, but does it look good? Not unless your body parts stayed in the same exact spot and you didn't sag or bag. LOL
yea - 30 or so pairs of shorts!! This summer I thought I would go a uniform style route. I spend most days at home working outside in the yard, so something simple. Grey female type soft stretchy tee shirt and soft boyfriend style jean shorts. I kept ordering more as they went on sale. Purchased through Eddie Bauer. It worked out okay since I could just grab a tee and a pair of shorts and start my day. At least they fold up easy and do not take up a lot of room. Did keep some dressier shorts.

Now need to do the same with my winter wardrobe - maybe next year. Did find a couple of winter tops I forgot I purchased. Gee - and I consider myself a minimalist!!

Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I have a dozen other things to do today, but I got seized by the downsizing bug again. We have no attic, thank goodness. We do have a large upstairs storage closet. This spring that is going to be turned into a half bath. What to do with all that stuff. Our off-season clothing is stored in many labeled boxes up there. I decided that since we each have large closets I'd create a year-round clothes closet for each of us (got no objections). It's a bit tight, but the boxes are being eliminated two by two and I'm fitting it all in. Weeding out a lot as I go.

When the boxes are gone, there's all manner of coats to deal with (to incorporate into other closets, but how many coats do we really need?) and other stuff that 'll be given away or tucked in somewhere else in the house. No more going up to the storage room to retrieve the new season's clothes.

The other thing I'm deciding, which is much harder, is replacing my collection of heavy cotton quilts with lightweight feather quilts with washable duvets. I started that a few years ago but still have a large and heavy wicker trunk full of these quilts. I hate to part with them but they weigh a lot and my washer isn't big enough to stuff in even one and get it really clean. It will be an investment to buy the down comforters. A lot of poundage will be eliminated though.

Anyone else getting down to the nitty gritty in terms of stuff?
If I went any more nitty gritty I'd be living in an empty house

Suggestion for your quilts..a quilting club might like them.
Even if they are not the antique type that get kept and displayed at shows they could always take them apart and reuse the swatches.

I've never had that many clothes that I had to put away one season and unpack another.
All my clothes are either in my drawers or hanging up. I guess that was a good thing over the years as I purged as I needed. Never even thought to pack them away to make room for more clothes.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If I went any more nitty gritty I'd be living in an empty house

Suggestion for your quilts..a quilting club might like them.
Even if they are not the antique type that get kept and displayed at shows they could always take them apart and reuse the swatches.

I've never had that many clothes that I had to put away one season and unpack another.
All my clothes are either in my drawers or hanging up. I guess that was a good thing over the years as I purged as I needed. Never even thought to pack them away to make room for more clothes.
I hope to get better in this department. I don't even shop that much. Not in an actual store. I'm more of an online shopper.

I live in a house built in 1929, so closets are tiny. I also have two vintage armoires that I use for extra clothing storage. Works okay so far.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:14 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
Quote:
I hope to get better in this department. I don't even shop that much. Not in an actual store. I'm more of an online shopper.

I live in a house built in 1929, so closets are tiny. I also have two vintage armoires that I use for extra clothing storage. Works okay so far.
I'm in an old home as well..no multiple walk in his and hers closet.

I did redo the closet setup though and have 1/2 of the closet with the double rack for hanging shirts.
Really does give you more room for stuff.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm in an old home as well..no multiple walk in his and hers closet.

I did redo the closet setup though and have 1/2 of the closet with the double rack for hanging shirts.
Really does give you more room for stuff.
Yes, I also added a second rack - and shelves above that. Helps when you have high ceilings. Also added decorative hanging brackets on the other walls for purses, robes, belts, hanging shoe racks.

I used to have wooden hangers, but switched to the slim no-slip hangers and that gave me a lot more space too.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:37 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
"Lost weight without even trying." How does that happen, LOL?

Am now in the new house -- less than half the size of the former house -- and HALF of what I ended up carting down there is going to be gone before I'm done settling in.

This downsizing thing is ADDICTIVE!

Old 11-21-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Lost weight without even trying." How does that happen, LOL?

Am now in the new house -- less than half the size of the former house -- and HALF of what I ended up carting down there is going to be gone before I'm done settling in.

This downsizing thing is ADDICTIVE!
im going through a spell of not liking any of the food I usually eat. I've always been a picky eater anyway. I'm not skinny, so losing a few pounds isn't bad. Going from a size 14/12 to a 10/8.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
im going through a spell of not liking any of the food I usually eat. I've always been a picky eater anyway. I'm not skinny, so losing a few pounds isn't bad. Going from a size 14/12 to a 10/8.
Post your diet immediately!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement