U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 08:36 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times

Advertisements

My searchlight has fallen on yet another area of too much stuff. I need feedback on this one, and possibly therapy lol.

I've always had emergency equipment stored in backpacks and bags in case of evacuation (inspired by my Red Cross days). In them are the essentials, collapsible 5 gal water jug, tarp, extra flashlights, utensils, a few basic tools incl a miniature ax, bungee cords, blankets, extra clothes and shoes, you get the picture. These bags have been sitting ready for years. We've never had an emergency in which evacuation was even a question. Our house isn't near possible flooding, or train tracks, or a major route for truck transport. We heat with wood so we'd stay in place in a power outage. At one time, we thought we might live more rural again, but now that's out of the question. We'll always be town dwellers.

In trying to eliminate bulk and weight from the household in view of moving one final time to a smaller place, I'm tempted to give this stuff to my kids or to a shelter. I may regret it though. It's not any earthshaking matter, but I would like to get our stuff down to a comfortable minimum for entering the next phase of living.

Any advice or encouragement to let go....or keep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 08:39 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,202,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
My searchlight has fallen on yet another area of too much stuff. I need feedback on this one, and possibly therapy lol.

I've always had emergency equipment stored in backpacks and bags in case of evacuation (inspired by my Red Cross days). In them are the essentials, collapsible 5 gal water jug, tarp, extra flashlights, utensils, a few basic tools incl a miniature ax, bungee cords, blankets, extra clothes and shoes, you get the picture. These bags have been sitting ready for years. We've never had an emergency in which evacuation was even a question. Our house isn't near possible flooding, or train tracks, or a major route for truck transport. We heat with wood so we'd stay in place in a power outage. At one time, we thought we might live more rural again, but now that's out of the question. We'll always be town dwellers.

In trying to eliminate bulk and weight from the household in view of moving one final time to a smaller place, I'm tempted to give this stuff to my kids or to a shelter. I may regret it though. It's not any earthshaking matter, but I would like to get our stuff down to a comfortable minimum for entering the next phase of living.

You answered your own question.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:22 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,469,891 times
Quote:

If you had to evacuate now would you (A) go to a shelter or (B) find a spot in the woods to use your emergency gear instead ?

If you are off to a shelter then you do not need 3 bags of prepper equipment.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:50 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:

Have you looked in the bags and made sure things are still good? Or have they just sat there?

If you haven't, maybe you answered your own question - stuff might be out of service and you can just get rid of it. I had some gallon jugs of water leak out after a year! Now I know I have to keep a better eye on them and rotate.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you had to evacuate now would you (A) go to a shelter or (B) find a spot in the woods to use your emergency gear instead ?

If you are off to a shelter then you do not need 3 bags of prepper equipment.
Ah, Happy Texan, I knew I could count on your wisdom!

Since posting my Q, I've gone from six bags down to three. A lot of duplication. I'll get it down to one, and keep the flashlights, battery recharger, and a blanket. Oh and the pillow. Maybe emergency dog food?? lol

Old 11-21-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Have you looked in the bags and made sure things are still good? Or have they just sat there?

If you haven't, maybe you answered your own question - stuff might be out of service and you can just get rid of it. I had some gallon jugs of water leak out after a year! Now I know I have to keep a better eye on them and rotate.
Can't keep water in the car trunk in the North. The only thing that's probably gone bad is a small bag of dog kibble, which I've thrown out.

Even after all this weeding out throughout the house I look around and see just too much. I think I'll give it a rest till Feb. Spring's always a good time to cart things away. It's quite warm here this week so we did manage to about finish the basement decluttering, like gutter pieces and roofing material we no longer need. Now there's just tools and hardware down there, nothing heavy. Our days of handling lumber are coming to an end by spring, and that is a welcome development.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,097,795 times
Along the same lines, I just looked in my rarely used formal living room- a side table with a drawer ---opened it and lo and behold, broken picture frames. There are 2; and they might be the nicer silver ones. Tempted to toss, but now thinking what if they are silver? How could I tell? Any ideas? thanks

Old 11-21-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You answered your own question.
Yeah, I know. I'm very attached to my stash of quilts and emergency gear. It must go way back to some insecurities from childhood.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:32 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,188,667 times
Living in earthquake country I've always kept a "go bag" packed with a case of bottled water (cycled with a new case whenever I buy a new one), canned food (also cycled) and a couple of glow sticks. It came in handy during the '89 quake when we were without electricity for 3 days. Many of my friends do the same.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:53 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
I'm actually thinking of getting rid of one of only THREE pieces of furniture I moved to my tiny cottage -- a big, fugly recliner that I don't even use (the modern kind with metal feet). My other two pieces are vintage leather Bradington-Young sofa and early recliner from Goodwill, properly "aged," along with a matching ottoman (also a Goodwill bargain). I don't entertain much (never more than one person at a time), so how much seating do I need? My new house will be all about simplicity and minimalism! After all, I will go from this house to a Class B motorhome full-time, so eventually I'll do everything in bed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement