U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 12:00 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,188,667 times

Advertisements

2 more boxes for the Salvation Army and 3 more packed for the move. Every little step helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 01:05 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Does cleaning out the fridge count??

Old 11-30-2015, 01:06 PM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemencia53 View Post
does cleaning out the fridge count??
yes!

Old 12-29-2015, 03:22 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,188,667 times
Well the Salvation Army came and picked up stuff on Christmas Eve, leaving me room to pack some more boxes. Called a couple of moving companies today and will start to get estimates next week. 40 boxes packed and ready. About 100 more to go. Countdown to retirement 123 days.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I am really getting back into the de cluttering mode after thanksgiving.

Right now I have summer and winter things on my closet, what a pain. Went on an overnight trip and looking for things was not easy. But not as bad as one sister. I think she took 3 coats with her. We were gone one night!

Winter is a good time to do this. My tomato plants froze, so I can quit that daily chore.
I'm on another roll too. Started day after Christmas, on the second floor getting rid of almost everything that's heavy. Large wicker trunk you can't move when anything's in it. In it: quilts and more quilts! My method now is to move from upper to lower floor. As I bring things/have things brought downstairs I'll shoot those things out the door a few at a time. My nemesis is paperwork, having been a writer. And computer files that seem to grow exponentially every month. Just can't seem to get control, but at least paperwork and computer files weigh nothing. We have no attic, TG, and the storage closet upstairs is slated to be an extra bath, so I have to somehow absorb what's in there to the other rooms of the house. I don't want to start storing things in the basement. My one big piece of progress has been to do away with "Winter-Summer" clothing storage. It's all now in ONE closet and is generic to all seasons.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:59 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Personally, I am tired of downsizing. We are where we need to be and are gradually working on consuming all of the food, toiletries, clothing and the like that we have moved here last year.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I am tired of downsizing. We are where we need to be and are gradually working on consuming all of the food, toiletries, clothing and the like that we have moved here last year.
Once I know we're in the "final home" before Happy Acres, I'll be done with it all too, and we can accumulate however much we want and not deal with it anymore. In the end our kids can get the dumpster. There has to be a point at which "downsizing" is done.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:48 PM

1,605 posts, read 1,270,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh man. I'm already retired, but last year I moved from a huge one-bedroom apartment to a micro apartment of about 250 square feet. In November I moved to the coast to an even smaller apartment of about 115 square feet. I thought I couldn't live with less than I had, that I'd downsized all I could. But, it's funny how you keep finding things you realized you didn't really need to keep.

I'm about to toss my box of memories. I've offered them to my daughter several times, and she's declined. Old photos, recordings and videotapes of me way back when I did radio and voiceovers and commercials - in another life. I haven't looked at any of that stuff in over 10 years. I think I'll keep one old poster and frame it. The rest is going into the dumpster.

I also am a bit of a food hoarder. I have a separate piece of furniture that I use as a pantry for canned goods. I've decided to quit storing so much food, and eat up what's in that pantry and turn it into my hardware storage, which will free up other space for things that are more important - I want to get back into hobbies and will need to store my hobby supplies.

It's a constant re-thinking and re-prioritizing of stuff. You need so much less than you think you do.

I congratulate you on getting rid of the China. I'm trying to stick to the idea of - if I haven't used it in the last year, it's outta here.
You could always scan the photos instead of trashing them. I don't think I could ever throw photos in the trash.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:04 PM

856 posts, read 589,659 times
My grandmother would call all of this that you all are posting about - "making it smaller." From putting leftovers in the correctly sized refrigerator dish on up to casting off whole rooms of furniture. The 19 year old granddaughter who lived with us moved into her own place just before Thanksgiving. EVERY day since then I have sent stuff out of here. From her own bedroom furniture to hair accessories. 19 years worth of detritus in the weirdest places! Today it was pictures, coffee mugs & some bed linens.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:08 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
I'm finally going through paperwork & tossed a large bag today. Then, a book I had ordered, "the life-changing magic of tidying up" came today. I forgot I ordered it. I can't remember which show I saw the author on but I do remember that she said to only keep what makes you happy.

I've only read a little bit but think it may help. I've got to seriously go through my clothes & just get rid of some. I still have my good work clothes, for Pete's sake. All I need is to keep 4 nice outfits for church & that should be enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement