U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 07:50 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Once I know we're in the "final home" before Happy Acres, I'll be done with it all too, and we can accumulate however much we want and not deal with it anymore. In the end our kids can get the dumpster. There has to be a point at which "downsizing" is done.
Yes, indeed! And beware of downsizing TOO MUCH (yes, it's possible). There's a very fine line between "decluttered" and "cold and barren," and I think I crossed it when I moved from a three-story Colonial to a one-bedroom shotgun. I got rid of some beautiful antique pieces I now realized I should've kept...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 07:53 AM

"Then, a book I had ordered, 'the life-changing magic of tidying up' came today. I forgot I ordered it."

Just a little tip: You can order virtually any book that's been in print for six months (or ever has been) through your local library's "interlibrary loan program." Ours is free, while others may charge a nominal fee. It's a great way to save money AND not accumulate more books you'll never read again. I haven't bought a book in decades, yet read everything I want. Of course now there's kindle, but I prefer paper.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:33 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes, indeed! And beware of downsizing TOO MUCH (yes, it's possible). There's a very fine line between "decluttered" and "cold and barren," and I think I crossed it when I moved from a three-story Colonial to a one-bedroom shotgun. I got rid of some beautiful antique pieces I now realized I should've kept...
When I had to leave my house after the bankruptcy & subsequent foreclosure, I left behind & gave away so much. And yes, there are many things I miss. But, some of the things I kept just weren't needed. Live and learn.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:00 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
Default What did you do to downsize today?

The same as we did yesterday and the day before, absolutely nothing. We did it before we moved here from the left coast going on seven years ago.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
When I had to leave my house after the bankruptcy & subsequent foreclosure, I left behind & gave away so much. And yes, there are many things I miss. But, some of the things I kept just weren't needed. Live and learn.
Same here! Half of what I got rid of, I need back, and half of what I kept, I don't need... Oh, well?

I'm loathe to buy MORE stuff, though (that seems too stupid); will likely just learn to live with less.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:14 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,308,074 times
This year, I donated 16 bags of clothes to Salvation Army. Mostly clothes my kids didn't wear. Some are still brand new.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:49 AM

16,338 posts, read 10,327,920 times
Went through my Christmas decorations and got rid of the ones I never used.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:02 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Same here! Half of what I got rid of, I need back, and half of what I kept, I don't need... Oh, well?

I'm loathe to buy MORE stuff, though (that seems too stupid); will likely just learn to live with less.
I hope you do.

I read some of these type of posts here and on other forums, and wonder "when does it stop?"

The de-cluttering of things, finances, people. I'm 55 and I see people in their 60s, 70s, and up still going through this. I don't want that for me.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:12 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,949,307 times
I am getting ready to sell my house and move out of the area. I've been going through drawers, closets, clothes and discarded or donated what I did not want to keep. I spent days shredding documents, bank statements, etc. It is a huge task!

Old 01-01-2016, 03:51 PM

381 posts, read 352,235 times
After the Christmas visitors left, I collected four bags for Goodwill....Christmas sweaters, ornaments, games, and puzzles. My closets look clear again. Before the visitors arrived, I took one table and two chairs to Goodwill. I am not comfortable in a clutter-filled house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement