U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 10:35 PM

1,158 posts, read 648,519 times

Advertisements

Recently I threw away big tall white Christmas tree that had yellowed and brown in the heat of the storage place I kept it. Gave away all the big blue and silver balls that I used to put on it. Now I put the 4' green tree up and all the little ornaments that I consider beautiful and I'm glad that I no longer have to climb ladders to get the big tree out and drag it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 08:45 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I hope you do.

I read some of these type of posts here and on other forums, and wonder "when does it stop?"

The de-cluttering of things, finances, people. I'm 55 and I see people in their 60s, 70s, and up still going through this. I don't want that for me.
Once you're where you want to be (if ever), implement the "one in, one out" rule for books, articles of clothing, kitchen gadgets, etc.; that's the only way I know to keep it all from accumulating once again!

Old 01-03-2016, 11:16 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Once you're where you want to be (if ever), implement the "one in, one out" rule for books, articles of clothing, kitchen gadgets, etc.; that's the only way I know to keep it all from accumulating once again!
I'm pretty stabilized in that regard. I am 55, but I hear people in their late 60s, 70s, still contemplating whether they should get rid of clothes/shoes etc - things that they haven't worn in years or never wore and probably wouldn't even look the same on them if they did wear them.

I just don't get it.

Does it feel like it is too final a move to get rid of things?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:00 PM

745 posts, read 481,670 times
Quote:
Just a little tip: You can order virtually any book that's been in print for six months (or ever has been) through your local library's "interlibrary loan program." Ours is free, while others may charge a nominal fee. It's a great way to save money AND not accumulate more books you'll never read again. I haven't bought a book in decades, yet read everything I want. Of course now there's kindle, but I prefer paper.
Excellent advice! #lovelibraries

Old 01-03-2016, 06:50 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. One of the things I do with my books is donate them to the Friends of the Library for their yearly sale. So, to me, it's a win/win.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:31 AM

1,185 posts, read 662,420 times
I seldom post but I do follow this thread with interest! We have been in the same home for 36 years and are ready to clean out. Out went custom drapes and curtains stored in the attic which we will never use again, and my children certainly won't use them as tastes have changed.

I finally parted with my leather suitcases that I brought to college years ago (no wheels so I can't use them). They cannot be used for storage as they are not in good shape. I was brought up with the idea that you should buy quality goods and keep them forever. Now I try to use the philosophy that they served their purpose at the time.

Today I have a pile of pullover sweaters to donate which I haven't worn in years as I prefer cardigans.

We had a big influx of things from cleaning out my parents' home so I need to be super organized. The older I get, the less I can tolerate clutter.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'm pretty stabilized in that regard. I am 55, but I hear people in their late 60s, 70s, still contemplating whether they should get rid of clothes/shoes etc - things that they haven't worn in years or never wore and probably wouldn't even look the same on them if they did wear them.

I just don't get it.

Does it feel like it is too final a move to get rid of things?
Three theories: one is "sentimental value"; second is the "I might need that one day" worry; third is that things find their place and, once there, you just don't think about it UNTIL you go to relocate and move it and then wonder why you kept it. If it's tucked away in a drawer, closet, or box in the basement or attic, it's really not hurting anything or in the way, so why bother? Of course, if you're at "Hoarders" level and literally climbing over the stuff, that theory doesn't apply.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:42 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,452,717 times
Quote:
Three theories: one is "sentimental value"; second is the "I might need that one day" worry; third is that things find their place and, once there, you just don't think about it UNTIL you go to relocate and move it and then wonder why you kept it. If it's tucked away in a drawer, closet, or box in the basement or attic, it's really not hurting anything or in the way, so why bother? Of course, if you're at "Hoarders" level and literally climbing over the stuff, that theory doesn't apply.
I'm in the 'might need it someday' category. I'll decide when I move to my forever home what to keep in clothing. Here it is very casual so do not wear my 'good clothes' to church. I do not want to get rid of clothes that cost me a bundle until I see what folks are wearing wherever I decide to move.

I do not want to have to buy them again.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:11 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Bought a new Keurig because my old one was acting up.

Of course while I was waiting for delivery, my old one all of a sudden is not being so cranky. It seemed to be taking longer to heat and brew. I did run vinegar through it. I use bottled or filtered water, so I really didn't think that was a problem.

Anyway I set up the new machine today. Sheesh, I guess the heating and brewing time has been extended on these newer models. It is also very light. Old one is heavy.

I'm going to just have to get used to it.

And giving away the old - working Keurig to a local thrift shop that helps the community. Giving them my back up Mr. Coffee also. I don't want to be tied down to coffee drinking. If it doesn't work, I can just skip it or go to a local diner.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:20 PM

446 posts, read 552,964 times
I bought a new house that is 100 square feet smaller than my current house.

Don't want to go too fast, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement