U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 08:16 PM

19,826 posts, read 18,832,665 times

Advertisements

I've downsized every time I've moved but recently I decided that I really don't need THREE cedar chests. I have a little one made by the grandfather I never knew and I have one that is bigger and belonged to my mother. But I don't need the first one I ever bought. It's huge and I bought it before I inherited the other two.

How to get rid of it though. I should probably take a picture of it and put it on Craigs List. Then someone can come and take it away. It weighs tons and it's right in front of the baseboard heating so it's taking up space and blocking the heat.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've downsized every time I've moved but recently I decided that I really don't need THREE cedar chests. I have a little one made by the grandfather I never knew and I have one that is bigger and belonged to my mother. But I don't need the first one I ever bought. It's huge and I bought it before I inherited the other two.

How to get rid of it though. I should probably take a picture of it and put it on Craigs List. Then someone can come and take it away. It weighs tons and it's right in front of the baseboard heating so it's taking up space and blocking the heat.
At our former house we had a super heavy cedar chest in the attic. I'll never forget the guys trying to get it down when we sold the house. That is when I vowed to get rid of all heavy clunky furniture at this stage of life. I want lightweight, maybe danish/scandanavian or the lighter-weight Shaker that can be moved easily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 08:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I'm pretty stabilized in that regard. I am 55, but I hear people in their late 60s, 70s, still contemplating whether they should get rid of clothes/shoes etc - things that they haven't worn in years or never wore and probably wouldn't even look the same on them if they did wear them.

I just don't get it.

Does it feel like it is too final a move to get rid of things?
Not at all. I'm down to maybe 10 pr shoes, 4 pr boots, and 4 handbags. Feels great, even if we don't move again. But I'm losing weight so maybe I'll ditch most of the clothes and start over. All black, as they dress in Milan.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 PM

19,826 posts, read 18,832,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
At our former house we had a super heavy cedar chest in the attic. I'll never forget the guys trying to get it down when we sold the house. That is when I vowed to get rid of all heavy clunky furniture at this stage of life. I want lightweight, maybe danish/scandanavian or the lighter-weight Shaker that can be moved easily
Yeh, you know what I mean. We're all on one floor but it would take a few strong people to get this heavy cedar chest out of here. At one time I made a resolution that I would never buy another piece of furniture unless it was on wheels! It's surprising how much old furniture IS on wheels and that's great.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 PM

7,338 posts, read 16,634,853 times
Wife and I have decided to downsize even more than we already have. Since I have put most of our photos, from photo albums she had before I met her and ones we made since being together/married, onto USB's, we are taking all but a few of the old empty photo albums to the Goodwill. We have sent all of the actual prints to her sister. Next is a bunch of bed sheets that we no longer use........off to the Goodwill. Selling all of our saltwater fishing gear. Have never use it and won't b/c we will be moving back to freshwater lakes south of Denver, CO.

So, let the downsizing begin and continue!

Old 01-07-2016, 10:59 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,323,199 times
When my Mom died, I was surprised how hard it was to get rid off her Lane cedar chest. For free! We put it on Craigslist and got only a little interest, including a couple people who jerked us around, saying they would come and get it and then never showing up. We did finally unload it, though, TG. I guess my husband could have turned it into boards for his woodworking projects. I have a small one now and I keep telling him to take it apart and use the wood!

Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,323,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Wife and I have decided to downsize even more than we already have. Since I have put most of our photos, from photo albums she had before I met her and ones we made since being together/married, onto USB's, we are taking all but a few of the old empty photo albums to the Goodwill. We have sent all of the actual prints to her sister. Next is a bunch of bed sheets that we no longer use........off to the Goodwill. Selling all of our saltwater fishing gear. Have never use it and won't b/c we will be moving back to freshwater lakes south of Denver, CO.

So, let the downsizing begin and continue!
My Mom's favorite saying was, "You never know..." Which is why she had so much junk in her house! Sounds like you are being sensible.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:41 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Bought a new Keurig because my old one was acting up.

Of course while I was waiting for delivery, my old one all of a sudden is not being so cranky. It seemed to be taking longer to heat and brew. I did run vinegar through it. I use bottled or filtered water, so I really didn't think that was a problem.

Anyway I set up the new machine today. Sheesh, I guess the heating and brewing time has been extended on these newer models. It is also very light. Old one is heavy.

I'm going to just have to get used to it.

And giving away the old - working Keurig to a local thrift shop that helps the community. Giving them my back up Mr. Coffee also. I don't want to be tied down to coffee drinking. If it doesn't work, I can just skip it or go to a local diner.
Rival single-serve; $9.99 at Walmart or dollar stores. Mine's been going strong for a year.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 AM

7,794 posts, read 4,381,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
When my Mom died, I was surprised how hard it was to get rid off her Lane cedar chest. For free! We put it on Craigslist and got only a little interest, including a couple people who jerked us around, saying they would come and get it and then never showing up. We did finally unload it, though, TG. I guess my husband could have turned it into boards for his woodworking projects. I have a small one now and I keep telling him to take it apart and use the wood!
Those are actually great under a window to use as a "cat shelf"; they love to look outside, and you can store the padding/cushions/blankets/cat toys inside when company comes.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:42 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Rival single-serve; $9.99 at Walmart or dollar stores. Mine's been going strong for a year.
used it this morning and liked it. The wait wasn't so bad. I liked the smaller stronger cup it made.

I really want to give up drinking coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement