U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 11:38 AM

7,801 posts, read 4,391,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
imo love seats are even more awkward and self-conscious than sofas for the sitters. You have to turn your head to the left or right to converse. I'm sticking to the chairs in a circle idea.
I'd like a love seat just for semi-reclining and reading or watching TV, but a chair with an ottoman or even a recliner in a hidden spot would accomplish the same goal. Chairs in a circle would just seem so formal for conversation? Like a group therapy session, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 04:23 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,190,846 times
Today I packed, shoes, purses and scarfs. Where did all these things come from? Are they breeding in the back of my closet? 2 more bags to Goodwill and another bag of shoes and purses for VOA back to work program.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:54 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,347,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'd like a love seat just for semi-reclining and reading or watching TV, but a chair with an ottoman or even a recliner in a hidden spot would accomplish the same goal. Chairs in a circle would just seem so formal for conversation? Like a group therapy session, LOL.
I had the same thought. When I was looking at houses, I saw a few on realtor.com that had this setup in small rooms. One had all very large overstuffed recliners around the perimeter of a small living room. Looked really strange.

I like a sofa in my living room. Great for stretching out on my back to relieve back pain, watching tv and naps. Although a good recliner that fits the size of your body is also good for naps. Had one like that once.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 AM

8,969 posts, read 7,745,489 times
When we relocated from a 2500sq ft home to a 1500sq ft home we donated a ton of stuff to Habit for Humanity as they came and took it away. We also gave much to Goodwill.

I still try and declutter even now. As an example, I removed a old toaster oven that rarely got used from the kitchen counter and put it in the garage. If not missed in the next few months, then out it goes.. I also got rid of some artificial house plants that were doing nothing but taking up room. I also got rid of 5 of my 30 polo shirts.

I declutter as I go along.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:28 AM

18 posts, read 15,478 times
I'm looking at a ton of stuff to get rid of, mostly hobby equipment I've collected and no longer use. Camera and darkroom equipment), telescopes, microscopes, fishing rod making equipment, reloading equipment, etc. Now, retirement is a few years away, but I think starting sooner than later is better than not.

It's hard to come to grips with the reality that if I haven't used some of this stuff in 10 years, I'm not going to be doing ever, most likely.

I might think about trading the camera equipment (large and medium format film) for a digital outfit, though. I did like taking pictures and it would be a good thing to take up again in retirement.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
So who keeps more stuff? Men or women - or the same number of items, just size of items?

A male family member is building a 40X80 storage "shed". He already has one a tad smaller, but it is not enough. He is 70.

Don't know how the wife is going to go about disposing of all that stuff once he is gone. He does a lot of things on his own - solitary type hunting/fishing adventures, so this is his shelter for all the boats etc.

I did read one person going on about all the paperwork they have accumulated over the years. Just can't seem to get rid of it.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:27 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times
I consolidated some boxes and removed a few things that really shouldn't be saved in the attic. It's worth doing every now and then if you have a lot of stuff stored from days gone by. Some boxes are poorly packed or bigger than needed (just what was on hand) and I can often open 4 boxes and repack in 3 even if I keep everything (but usually bring some down to donate or trash).

Old 01-20-2016, 12:04 PM

4,974 posts, read 3,460,586 times
Good grief, looking for certain paperwork & discovered a ton I can toss. Still have more to go through because I haven't found some I need. Why have I been carting these things around?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:37 AM

8,969 posts, read 7,745,489 times
Recently donated an 20 year old, in a dry cleaning bag including the lining, Burberry's classic trench coat to Goodwill. List price of that coat today is about $2K. When I want something gone, I want it gone right then.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:19 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Recently donated an 20 year old, in a dry cleaning bag including the lining, Burberry's classic trench coat to Goodwill. List price of that coat today is about $2K. When I want something gone, I want it gone right then.
The person at Goodwill probably took it and sold it on Ebay :

burberry's trench coat vintage in Coats and Jackets for the Modern Lady | eBay

Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement