U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 03:26 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,956,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
...I did read one person going on about all the paperwork they have accumulated over the years. Just can't seem to get rid of it.
I've seen people who are still storing all their stuff from college. Books - papers - everything. Weird. My late FIL never threw away a piece of paper - not a paycheck stub - a 40 year old tax return - nothing. Shred-It (or a similar outfit) is my friend when it comes to paper. I have X space that I have allocated to paperwork. About 8 bankers' boxes worth (for us - and my father and my late FIL) - and X is enough. When I have more than X (every 2-3 years) - I call a commercial shredding outfit and get rid of the old stuff.

When it comes to men/women being worse - I think - based on my watching Hoarders once in a while - that it depends on the individual. OTOH - I do think guys have a tendency to save things in garages - women in indoor areas. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 04:32 PM

9,695 posts, read 15,894,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Recently donated an 20 year old, in a dry cleaning bag including the lining, Burberry's classic trench coat to Goodwill. List price of that coat today is about $2K. When I want something gone, I want it gone right then.

You have to ask yourself, what are you trying to accomplish? Get rid of stuff, or make money? You need to decide what's the most important, then proceed from there. If you are moving and downsizing, your main goal is to get rid of stuff. Regardless of what you could sell it for on Ebay, etc, that doesn't meet your goals. You need to figure the carrying costs of such items--packing, intermin move, storing, then the overhead to sell which includes commission, listing fees, taxes, insurance, yadda, yadda....then realize time is money. If you need to be out by a certain date, you simply can't afford to fool around trying to sell an item, regardless of what it "should" fetch. Used items rarely sell for their list price. If time is of the essence, you will find yourself selling items for pennies on the dollar just to get rid of them, when that's what you were trying to do in the first place

If your primary goal is to make money, well, then, do so. But only if you have the resources to do so---mainly time. I've decided to sell a watch I never wear, because its too expensive for everyday wear and I worry everytime I wear it that it will get lost or stolen. I can take my time, to have it appraised, list it with a reputable dealer, wait for my price -- I'm looking for about 10K--and I have no definitive date by which I must move which would force me into striking a "bargain". That's why I'm choosing to sell it now, while I can take my time, instead of a distress sale.

I guess it boils down to "Love it or List it"

Old 01-21-2016, 05:00 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,956,950 times
But giving away vintage designer stuff without looking up what you can sell it for first is just plain stupid IMO. Robyn

Old 01-22-2016, 05:06 AM

16,385 posts, read 10,367,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
But giving away vintage designer stuff without looking up what you can sell it for first is just plain stupid IMO. Robyn
only if money is more important than time. That's a distinct possibility for someone on a limited income. But if you've got to move and have a whole lot to unload, the time involved to appraise, advertise and sell just may not be there.

to each their own priorities.

Taking more craft supplies to Goodwill. I don't even remember what I was going to do with them. Something creative I'm sure.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:35 AM

2,472 posts, read 2,109,780 times
I think you both have valid points- but I think for many people or at least some people, going through and getting rid of things is such a difficult task that anything that can put a crimp into the motivation and action will really impede and possibly stop the process. I think it's a mindset and once you get into the zone of if it's really the goal to rid the house of stuff that is no longer needed or useful or wanted, you have to go with it.IF you return to it tomorrow or next week, you might be looking at the same piles of stuff.

I go through things fairly regularly but as I have mentioned we really have a big house with lots of storage so it's not really in the way. Recently we went through the attic and basement and will do that again- but we have so much stuff that I guess we held onto because we had space and a small sentimental attachment. Some old childrens things that are not really special and even if they were I suspect that safety wise one would not use them nowadays. But we had room so it stayed in the basement. It's a matter of saying ok next garbage day (when it's not raining or snowing) we will discard.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:00 AM

7,820 posts, read 4,409,856 times
It's absolutely about the space. If you have the room and it's out of the way, the college papers aren't hurting anything. If you plan to retire and travel in an RV, out they will go.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:12 PM

9,013 posts, read 7,778,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The person at Goodwill probably took it and sold it on Ebay :

burberry's trench coat vintage in Coats and Jackets for the Modern Lady | eBay

Robyn
Thanks

Not worth my time to do so but I hope someone enjoyed it regardless.

My wife was a senior management person so plenty of nice dresses, skirts, blouses, suits, etc. I would like to think the clothes I gave to Goodwill enabled some woman to look good at an interview and land a job. There was a ton of great looking/expensive lady golf clothes so maybe someone now looks good when dressed casually. Sizes were 8 to 12 depending on when bought and the cut.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:14 PM

7,820 posts, read 4,409,856 times
If nothing else, you gave the buyer a thrill. I get a lot of pleasure out of bragging about the brand name $250 down parkas I buy at Goodwill for $5; "can you believe someone just gave this away?" But the older I get, the more I realize the giver also gave himself peace of mind by getting rid of something that was weighing him down (no pun intended).

Old 01-25-2016, 04:32 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,797,871 times
Today, I put three giant trash bags full of junk (old dishes and kitchen stuff) into a dumpster. And I'm going to do the same thing tomorrow and the next day. Massive amounts of junk, all in the dumpster. 5000 years from now, someone will uncover it all and wonder why anyone threw all that stuff out.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Those items are needed at Goodwill & Salvation Army. I understand the dumpster option, sometimes you just want it out of the house, but if you can,please think of donating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement