U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 05:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,789,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Those items are needed at Goodwill & Salvation Army. I understand the dumpster option, sometimes you just want it out of the house, but if you can,please think of donating.
I've made more trips than you can imagine to the Goodwill. I guess I'm just at a point where I'm getting fed up with it all. And when I look at some of the stuff, I wonder what person in their right mind would want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 05:22 PM

4,964 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I've made more trips than you can imagine to the Goodwill. I guess I'm just at a point where I'm getting fed up with it all. And when I look at some of the stuff, I wonder what person in their right mind would want it.
I apologize & take back my words. There are things that I have thrown away too, because I didn't want any else to get stuck with, things that were no longer working.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:23 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,132,535 times
Culling of paper files.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:18 AM

7,795 posts, read 4,383,926 times
Agree! Please don't stuff our landfills -- especially with things that will never biodegrade -- when you could donate them to a charity that needs the money. Someone else could use those items. It's just as easy to throw trash bags into the back of your car and drop them off at Goodwill or Salvation Army; some organizations will even pick them up for you.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,747,138 times
I started reading The Art of Tidying Up at the doctor's office yesrterday. i've heard and read many reviews. She is a Japanese woman famous all over for her theory.
She says doing s bit every day does nothing at all. We lose motivation and need to make it a Special Event where we do it all in one sweep. I'm not that far into her book but am wondering if anybody else has read it?

I am in a CROW boot for 9 months now and have almost 5000 st ft house to deal with so this is impossible. but I surely was inspired to get really into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbkPlsEj7MA

I'm having a really hard time with books. I love my books and they range from fiction to my serious cookbook collection and expensive horticulture and gardening books. I had a Landscape Design business for years and these books were the backbone of my business. But now I have macular degeneration and I can only read on my Kindle or computer where i read in size 18 font or higher. While going through my books I actually cry to think of never reading again but I have too many. it's like deciding which children to give away. I'm not handling it very well.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:04 AM

8,766 posts, read 7,695,901 times
We have stuff, mostly my wife's that we have lugged to each new home in over 40 years, like her piano music from when she learned as a kid. Its finally going out.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:08 AM

7,795 posts, read 4,383,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I started reading The Art of Tidying Up at the doctor's office yesrterday. i've heard and read many reviews. She is a Japanese woman famous all over for her theory.
She says doing s bit every day does nothing at all. We lose motivation and need to make it a Special Event where we do it all in one sweep. I'm not that far into her book but am wondering if anybody else has read it?

I am in a CROW boot for 9 months now and have almost 5000 st ft house to deal with so this is impossible. but I surely was inspired to get really into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbkPlsEj7MA

I'm having a really hard time with books. I love my books and they range from fiction to my serious cookbook collection and expensive horticulture and gardening books. I had a Landscape Design business for years and these books were the backbone of my business. But now I have macular degeneration and I can only read on my Kindle or computer where i read in size 18 font or higher. While going through my books I actually cry to think of never reading again but I have too many. it's like deciding which children to give away. I'm not handling it very well.
I'm very sorry to hear about your MD; my dear Mom - also an avid reader - suffered from that. Although it's not the same experience, books on tape through a government agency were enjoyable, as was Radio Eye, on which volunteers read magazine articles and newspapers; lots of free help out there, fortunately!

I agree that, at least for me, it has to be an "all or nothing" event; I actually took three weeks off work and did nothing else from dawn to dusk to move from my former three-story house. Trying to tidy one drawer or closet after work was futile! Thanks for the tip; I will request this book from my local library!

Old 01-27-2016, 10:30 AM

16,343 posts, read 10,331,404 times
nk- is there a master Gardner's program there? Or is that a state (PA) thing?

If you donate all your gardening books to a horticultural school so others can use and appreciate them, it might make it a bit easier.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,747,138 times
Oh---good suggestion. I also belong to a Gardening Club which might auction them off to raise money. I definitely would make sure they are appreciated. and as far as I know there are master Gardeners in every state as it is part of the Dept of Agriculture Extension Service. I got my Master Gardener Certificate in 1981 in Atlanta. i took my nursing son with me and he was quite a hit!

Old 01-28-2016, 07:25 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

I've read the book - and mentioned it in this or a similar thread a few weeks ago. I really like the theory - and think it works. But it's impractical to do everything at once in a typical American house (which is quite a bit larger than a typical Japanese house). So I tackle things room by room - on a regular but occasional basis (I'm not planning to move anytime soon). This week it was getting boxes of financial records ready for the Shred-It truck (something I do once every 3 years or so).

Quote:
Sorry to read about your MD. But we are relatively lucky these days to have technology that can compensate (partially) at times for this and similar disabilities. I assume you're reading the Kondo book on your Kindle .

When it comes to books - I think a lot of people (myself included) tend to look at them as trophies/signs that we have accomplished something (like reading them). Or - in your case - they're a reminder of your business. Or we keep them around because we thought we should/would read them - but we never did. My rule of thumb when it comes to books these days is to throw away all that I've read - and those that I bought years ago but never read. The only books that I keep are reference books that I actually use (mostly cookbooks but also things like travel books for upcoming trips). Reference books that I don't use (like ones about houseplants - I don't have houseplants these days) - get tossed.

If I were you I would use a similar approach. Is there any reading aid you can use to read regular books these days? And - if there is such an aid - would you actually read any of the books you have? If you can't read these books - or wouldn't read them even if you could - no reason to keep them.

I don't remember if this is exactly what Kondo suggests when it comes to getting rid of books - but she does have some suggestions for getting rid of books. A type of ritual where you say good-bye. Children leave home - and sometimes it's time for our possessions to leave our homes too. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement