U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 05:42 AM

14,628 posts, read 18,020,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
johngolf - love it. what kind of 55 inch did you buy. I'll be in the market in a couple of months. I spent all day yesterday cleaning data from my old laptops. One will go to the recycle center (it's that old) the other will go to a co-workers kids as a homework computer. I move in 11 weeks and really need to pick up the pace.
Just FWIW - data can be recovered fairly easily from a hard drive unless you do an "industrial strength" wipe. When it comes to disposing of computers - I don't take any chances. I physically destroy the hard drives. Of course - if there's nothing sensitive on your computers - you don't have anything to worry about. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 06:16 AM

7,866 posts, read 4,451,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Still too many TVs

I believe "downsizing" would be getting rid of all TVs and streaming video and shows through Hulu and Netflix on your laptop! That's what I'm going to do, as soon as I figure out how to do it. Cut the cord!

Old 02-02-2016, 06:43 AM

9,109 posts, read 7,859,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
johngolf - love it. what kind of 55 inch did you buy. I'll be in the market in a couple of months. I spent all day yesterday cleaning data from my old laptops. One will go to the recycle center (it's that old) the other will go to a co-workers kids as a homework computer. I move in 11 weeks and really need to pick up the pace.
Vizio 55", E-Series with built-in wireless. $568 at WalMart. $608 out the door. Happy with it.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:53 AM

36,487 posts, read 44,008,010 times
worked on another closet this morning
have a bag of clothes and box of shoes, scarves, etc to take to the homeless shelter

Old 02-02-2016, 09:14 AM

I'm still working, but am considering simplifying and paring down to two pairs of pants along with five different tops for the week. That would be three fewer pairs of pants in my closet for each of the four seasons we experience. (It's a relatively clean job.)

Old 02-02-2016, 09:40 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,168,121 times
It took us less time to go through the attic stuffs than I had thought. The sentimental valuable stuffs filled less than a small box.

We had taken 3 full car loads (each weighed at least half a ton!) of college notebooks, textbooks, research data, paper etc to the dump recycling bins. We gave over 100 books to the library and have about 50 big art books to give to a friend.

I was surprised to find my daughter's clothing in donatable conditions (nearly new, still in style) except for clothing with elastic materials which had deteriorated badly from storing in the hot attic. I am sorting out through our clothing and will have 5 or 6 huge boxes to take to Good Will or Salvation Army.

It takes a lot of work to downsize than I had thought. Besides cleaning out books and clothing, I have been spending weeks to digitize old VHS tapes, Hi-8mm videos and cassette tapes. I have just finished the work and will take two big boxes of these obsolete media to the dump.

Next big task is to scan photos/negatives/slides to reduce the full bookcase of albums to maybe a shelf or so of only negatives. This may take another month!

So we are mostly spending our winter months doing these decluttering/downsizing tasks. Home improvement tasks (restoring hardwood floor, kitchen remodeling etc) will have to be put off until later!

Last edited by BellaDL; 02-02-2016 at 10:01 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 09:41 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,168,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Just FWIW - data can be recovered fairly easily from a hard drive unless you do an "industrial strength" wipe. When it comes to disposing of computers - I don't take any chances. I physically destroy the hard drives. Of course - if there's nothing sensitive on your computers - you don't have anything to worry about. Robyn
There are many free software programs to do 'industrial strength' wipe. They are quite simple, easy and take much less time than to physcially destroy the drive.

Here is the link to one

DBAN 2.3.0 (Darik's Boot And Nuke) Review

Quote:
DBAN works outside of Windows, or whatever operating system you're running, so it might be a bit difficult for some of you to use if you've never burned a disc or booted from portable media before, but it's not impossible for even a novice.
This article describes 3 ways to erase the hard drive.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...hard-drive.htm

Old 02-02-2016, 10:20 AM

6,433 posts, read 5,150,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm still working, but am considering simplifying and paring down to two pairs of pants along with five different tops for the week. That would be three fewer pairs of pants in my closet for each of the four seasons we experience. (It's a relatively clean job.)
I loved wearing a uniform! So easy on deciding what to wear.

Last summer I finally starting wearing a "uniform" around the house - boyfriend style denim shorts and a semi-fitted soft grey t-shirt. Not the baggy unisex type of tee-shirt.

After this winter, I am going to do the same for next winter.

I've gotten rid of lots of clothes and I feel like I still have too many.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 AM

I'm seriously thinking just sweats for cold weather and scrubs for warm weather when I retire, although the "ironic message t-shirt" paired with leggings is also a possibility.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:02 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,202,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Robyn55 - I do a DoD level erase with a program my company provides. It should be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement