Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 04:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm still working, but am considering simplifying and paring down to two pairs of pants along with five different tops for the week. That would be three fewer pairs of pants in my closet for each of the four seasons we experience. (It's a relatively clean job.)
This winter I created an almost year-round wardrobe.

Previously I stored off-season clothing in many labeled cardboard banker's boxes, which went from floor to ceiling in the storage closet. I brought them all downstairs to the bedroom, destination bedroom closet, which is not all that big (it is all mine).

I eliminated wool sweaters, heavy pants and skirts, extra sets of longies, winter nighties (not too sexy), and many turtlenecks. My new style is layering of lightweight clothing, with low-neckline knit shirts, several lightweight zip-up nylon jackets (in place of sweaters, a pain to wash), year-round pants (jeans, no more corduroy or wool), and just a few year-round plain skirts. I probably eliminated half my wardrobe, along with the storage and cleaning headaches. Now I don't have to dig through boxes in storage for the next season's clothes, and that feels so much "cleaner."

I loved that article on minimalism in the Atlantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 04:34 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
This winter I created an almost year-round wardrobe.

Previously I stored off-season clothing in many labeled cardboard banker's boxes, which went from floor to ceiling in the storage closet. I brought them all downstairs to the bedroom, destination bedroom closet, which is not all that big (it is all mine).

I eliminated wool sweaters, heavy pants and skirts, extra sets of longies, winter nighties (not too sexy), and many turtlenecks. My new style is layering of lightweight clothing, with low-neckline knit shirts, several lightweight zip-up nylon jackets (in place of sweaters, a pain to wash), year-round pants (jeans, no more corduroy or wool), and just a few year-round plain skirts. I probably eliminated half my wardrobe, along with the storage and cleaning headaches. Now I don't have to dig through boxes in storage for the next season's clothes, and that feels so much "cleaner."

I loved that article on minimalism in the Atlantic.
yes, I did a lot of layering this short winter

Old 02-02-2016, 06:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
yes, I did a lot of layering this short winter
ha, I may miss those wool sweaters and extra long undies next winter - that's my problem, thinking I'm solving a problem and maybe not!

Old 02-02-2016, 06:51 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,261,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
ha, I may miss those wool sweaters and extra long undies next winter - that's my problem, thinking I'm solving a problem and maybe not!
I never used scarfs before and this year I had to add them to my wardrobe. Nothing heavy since it doesn't get super cold here, but something to keep the cold off my neck and upper back. It's strange how this year that became a vulnerable area - maybe I should grow my hair out again!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:34 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I never used scarfs before and this year I had to add them to my wardrobe. Nothing heavy since it doesn't get super cold here, but something to keep the cold off my neck and upper back. It's strange how this year that became a vulnerable area - maybe I should grow my hair out again!
I never used scarfs much, until I got my hair cut super-short. Now I find I need a fairly thick scarf for the same reason you do---it gets cold back there!

Old 02-03-2016, 06:15 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
took some stuff to Goodwill yesterday.

a shelf I'll never put on the wall, a computer gizmo that I don't need, a 3 tiered plant hanger that's been in the basement for entirely too long. Some little stuff too.

Gone is good.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
I've just discovered the yard sale groups on facebook. I got rid of a gorgeous coat that I never wore. Next thing is going to be a cedar chest. I keep saying this cedar chest is going...but I haven't gotten rid of it yet.

The nice thing is that someone will come and get the cedar chest. This is like Craigs List but it's local so the people will be from your own town or very close by--and you can check them out on FB to kind of make sure they're okay.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:05 AM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
I wouldn't let any stranger into my house in this day and age; the $5 you get that way isn't worth the risk to me! If they can pay online and just pick it up outside, maybe...

Old 02-04-2016, 02:51 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,477,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I wouldn't let any stranger into my house in this day and age; the $5 you get that way isn't worth the risk to me! If they can pay online and just pick it up outside, maybe...
I think it depends. We once sold an older TV armoire through a classified ad in the paper for $500 (shows you how long ago that was!). And the buyers picked it up in our house. I have also sold lawn equipment like mowers for tidy sums on Ebay. It is easy to size up people when they show up at your house. I would never schedule a night-time pickup or sell on Craigslist (I think the last has a questionable reputation). Or sell anything for $5 (I've never lived in a place that allowed yard sales). Robyn

Old 02-04-2016, 02:53 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,930,704 times
"It is easy to size up people when they show up at your house."

After you've opened the door? Because we've had home invasions in our area.

YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement