U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 06:31 PM

19,913 posts, read 18,921,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I think it depends. We once sold an older TV armoire through a classified ad in the paper for $500 (shows you how long ago that was!). And the buyers picked it up in our house. I have also sold lawn equipment like mowers for tidy sums on Ebay. It is easy to size up people when they show up at your house. I would never schedule a night-time pickup or sell on Craigslist (I think the last has a questionable reputation). Or sell anything for $5 (I've never lived in a place that allowed yard sales). Robyn
That's what I say. I'm not afraid of letting someone into the house to pick up the cedar chest. People around here are pretty good--they're mostly decent and polite. They have to come during the day and hubby has to be here though. They can have it for free just for getting it out of here.

And when I sold my cashmere coat I actually delivered it to the person. They came out and met me in their driveway, took the coat and tried it on, went in and got $90 and handed it to me. I set it up that way because I had a dr appointment just down the street from them so it was at my convenience. They joked about the nice coat--and delivery was included!

I'm selling my vintage bicycle in the spring when the weather is good. No reason for anyone to come into the house for that. These neighborhood or town yard sale groups are more trustworthy than Craigs List. I did get rid of a bed on CL once but that was long ago. I don't think CL attracts the same quality of people it used to.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:25 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,705,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've just discovered the yard sale groups on facebook. I got rid of a gorgeous coat that I never wore. Next thing is going to be a cedar chest. I keep saying this cedar chest is going...but I haven't gotten rid of it yet.

The nice thing is that someone will come and get the cedar chest. This is like Craigs List but it's local so the people will be from your own town or very close by--and you can check them out on FB to kind of make sure they're okay.

We have several of those online yard sale Facebook town sites and they seem to be pretty successful. A few days ago I listed my front loader washer and dryer for sale and have two interested in them. One is a young couple with little kids and the other one I'm well acquainted with already. I'm not worried about having either of them in my house. I thought about posting it on CL but decided not too.

Funny thing...when I went out to check the mail yesterday I noticed a truck backed up to the neighbor's house two doors down. Delivering a front loader washer and dryer! Had I known they wanted one I'd have tried to sell them mine! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 01:36 PM

1,457 posts, read 1,160,194 times
Today, I finally finished washing, sorting and folding all the clothing to go to Salvation Army. Husband managed to fit 7 good-size boxes inside the Honda Fit (with backseats folded down).

It was a huge relief to finally finish this dreaded work. A friend told me just to dump everything together since Good Will or Salvation will wash, sort and fold the clothes anyway. I felt compelled to do the work, to go through every piece of clothing to make sure that they are in very good condition and in-style enough for resale.

I am not a clotheshorse but somehow have accumulated quite a bit of clothing. I also don't have any more need for work clothes. I only keep a handful of dresses, skirts, blazers, blouses and dress pants and cleaned out 3/4 of my closet, armoire and dresser.

My taste has also changed as I get older preferring comfort to style. I used to like pure cotton and wool but find cotton not very good for intensive activities and wool too irritable to wear. Merino wool or smart wool, angora and silk are now my preferred materials. So all the cotton and wool clothing go to the donation boxes.

Now that we have taken care of the books and clothing. Next is the dinnerware, glassware, silverware and kitchen gadgets. It's nice to have real stuffs for group party (I hate the idea of using throwaway stuffs and refuse to serve wines in plastic cups), but I am not going to haul boxes of these fragile items across the country.

We have just completed the digitization of videos and cassettes. I am making several backup copies in different file formats and media before physically throwing away the original tapes/cassettes. Husband is working on scanning negatives/slides. We have a bookcase full of albums containing thousands of images. It is a slow, tedious process but it is also fun to go through the old pictures spanning over the last 4 decades. It is a wonderful trip down the memory lane.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:43 PM

7,825 posts, read 4,412,856 times
Anyone else ever purge their food supply? I hold a "fiscal fast" a couple of times a year in which I shop for absolutely nothing except in emergencies. Gives me a chance to eat up all the food I already have in my cabinets and freezer. I get some interesting meals that way.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 4,953,129 times
Went through a bunch of books my husband bought at yard sales and is done reading...there are some he
wants to keep and reread, others he doesn't want anymore...we still have plenty of books left but it feels
good to pare down some of the excess.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:52 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,960,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Anyone else ever purge their food supply? I hold a "fiscal fast" a couple of times a year in which I shop for absolutely nothing except in emergencies. Gives me a chance to eat up all the food I already have in my cabinets and freezer. I get some interesting meals that way.
I do that all the time. Buy things I like to eat at good prices or on BOGOs at Publix - plan meals around what I have - rinse and repeat . Robyn

Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 AM

89 posts, read 221,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz1964 View Post
I already said to our kids that, before they buy stuff for their future apartment or house, to first stop by our place and grab our excess items.
I moved out of my parents' house almost 35 years ago, taking with me my late grandmother's set of dishes, and I still use them every day.

A funny side story: I use one of the small bowls from the set as a dish for my cat. A picture I once took of the cat happened to include the bowl next to him. When my mother saw the picture, she chided me good-naturedly, "You're feeding the cat out of your grandmother's china?"

Last edited by KKVegas; 02-14-2016 at 08:06 AM..

Old 02-14-2016, 08:00 AM

89 posts, read 221,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Holding a nook in bed reading beats holding a "real book" any day.
I love reading my Kindle before going to sleep. Not only is it more comfortable to hold, but it turns itself off after I fall asleep. Now I don't have to get to the right level of sleepiness and turn out the light; I just fall asleep with my Kindle beside me.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:51 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,853,288 times
Our 13 year old daughters are doing a major purge of their space as well. They brought down a huge box of books to take to the public library but left it outside my door to look at first. I wish I hadn't. Some of those books were expensive and fine quality but it is obvious they were never or rarely cracked open. Makes me so sad.

When they were really young we spent so much time looking and reading books together. Whenever they got rid of books it was mainly because they were worn out. Now it's different.

I was afraid school would ruin their love of reading. I remember never reading for pleasure once the pressures of academia took over. Middle school is a bear and I know high school will be even worse. ic library every other Sunday and they always check out books but not sure if they are actually reading them.

The tidy lady was right...books are the hardest to get rid of.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:56 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,921,100 times
We just bought a house almost twice the size we were living in (1400 to 2500 sq/ft). Lots of room now for visiting kids and grand kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement