U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 10:35 AM

2,448 posts, read 2,083,229 times

Advertisements

I am hoping with new diet and exercise program I started, I can downsize pants size in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 12:20 PM

174 posts, read 188,797 times
Digitized over 1,000 slides from the 1970s. More scanning to do and then I'll put everything on flash drives. Have about a dozen photo albums to go through and wondering how to reduce the space they take up. Am considering taking just the extra special photos out of the albums and disposing of the rest. We rarely look at them, so why keep them. Someone on this forum said that it is never too early to start to purge things from your home. How right they are. Started this process last July in anticipation of moving this fall. Glad I started early. Where did all of this stuff come from?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:15 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,976,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentraveler View Post
Digitized over 1,000 slides from the 1970s. More scanning to do and then I'll put everything on flash drives. Have about a dozen photo albums to go through and wondering how to reduce the space they take up. Am considering taking just the extra special photos out of the albums and disposing of the rest. We rarely look at them, so why keep them. Someone on this forum said that it is never too early to start to purge things from your home. How right they are. Started this process last July in anticipation of moving this fall. Glad I started early. Where did all of this stuff come from?
Sounds like you're condensing junk - not eliminating it. 1000 slides?

When our parents died - we took all their pictures (both in albums and boxes) - and made 3 beautiful family albums for each side of the family (we sat down on the living room floor and just shuffled the photos around like multiple decks of cards and threw out about 80% of them). Just kept all the best pictures. Perhaps 100 or so for each album. One album for us - and 2 for our pairs of siblings. We also have one album for our life. So that is 3 albums. And they don't take up a lot of space. And - you know what - although we don't look at the albums that often - we look at them more often than our digital photos (which are a lot messier than the albums).

I think the more you reduce photo memories - the more likely you are to look at them. If only occasionally. Because most will be those "Kodak moments". I don't know about you - but people send me unedited piles of digital photos after things like weddings. Like 300 at a time - and it's just a pile of garbage to me.

In terms of our cleaning up - it's coming on spring here now - and spring cleaning time. Today we did all the bathroom cabinets (which we do every few years). Anyone want some Listerine that expired in 2006 ? Robyn

Old 02-15-2016, 05:21 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,663,367 times
Quote:
How often do you look at those 1000 slides from the 70's ?

Old 02-15-2016, 05:27 PM

6,371 posts, read 5,101,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I am hoping with new diet and exercise program I started, I can downsize pants size in the future.
I've gone down a couple of pants sizes over the last few months. I hope I stay like this because I do not keep "fat" clothes! Those will be going out soon.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:18 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,197,003 times
I got 3 more bags of business clothes ready for VOA. Also got my move scheduled - yeah! Still have one closet to clear. Then I start on the linen closet - towels to the local animal shelter, table cloths and napkins to Goodwill. Does anyone take slightly used sheets, otherwise they will be trashed. I still have the planters on the back deck to deal with. Its slowly getting done.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:36 PM

9,703 posts, read 15,915,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've gone down a couple of pants sizes over the last few months. I hope I stay like this because I do not keep "fat" clothes! Those will be going out soon.

As soon as I get rid of "fat clothes" I gain weight

I've found it prudent to keep at least one pair of "fat pants" in the wardrobe

Old 02-15-2016, 06:38 PM

9,703 posts, read 15,915,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I got 3 more bags of business clothes ready for VOA. Also got my move scheduled - yeah! Still have one closet to clear. Then I start on the linen closet - towels to the local animal shelter, table cloths and napkins to Goodwill. Does anyone take slightly used sheets, otherwise they will be trashed. I still have the planters on the back deck to deal with. Its slowly getting done.

Take the sheets to the animal shelter. I used to volunteer, and believe me, we needed everything! Sheets were used for large animal cages, otherwise, they had nothing but cold steel cages.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:03 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,162,571 times
Quote:
Digitized over 1,000 slides from the 1970s. More scanning to do and then I'll put everything on flash drives. Have about a dozen photo albums to go through and wondering how to reduce the space they take up. .
We digitized the old slides/negatives (or prints if they are no negatives/slides) and make slideshows or mixing images with old movies to make DVDs.

Every few years, we send these DVDs as Christmas gifts to family members and they absolutely love and treasure them.

It's much easier and more enjoyable to revisit these old pictures/movies in DVD format with music added to the background.

For prints, our plan is to go through the albums and pick out the most memorable or best ones and discard the rest.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:46 PM

9,041 posts, read 7,804,333 times
I can do most anything in home repair but at my age (73) and owning a 5 year old new built home, I realize many tools/stuff I have (routers, chop saws, spray painting stuff, etc.) will never be needed as I would hire someone. Starting Wednesday I will be working on "unloading" such stuff. Many stored in large totes in the garage, so off to Goodwill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement